Brush Dev. Co. "Mail-A-Voice" lathe on eBay

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Angus McCarthy

Brush Dev. Co. "Mail-A-Voice" lathe on eBay

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:10 am

This answers the question of what machine those little black crystal heads would have gone to.

www.ebay.com/itm/300849342827

emorritt

Re: Brush Dev. Co. "Mail-A-Voice" lathe on eBay

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:33 pm

What "little black crystal heads"? The Mail-A-Voice is entirely magnetic and doesn't cut like a lathe.

piaptk

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:15 am

That's cool.. I have a "GE PLAYTALK" that looks like the kid's version of that thing... Uses a tape head to record sound onto a magnetic disc.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Angus McCarthy

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:11 pm

emorritt wrote:What "little black crystal heads"? The Mail-A-Voice is entirely magnetic and doesn't cut like a lathe.
Ah, yes. Looking further into it you are correct. The disc threw me since it looked grooved. Sill, a neat machine, and not entirely unrelated.

emorritt

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 pm

I had one of these years ago; the actual recording disc is made of heavy paper doped with a magnetic coating and the curved arm is guided across the surface in a concentric spiral by a grooved plastic disc that sits in the center of the turntable. The pin that follows the guide disc has a knob on it so it's adjustable such that if one person's machine wasn't exactly aligned you could 'search' for the recorded track until you got the best signal.