need any stylus

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

eatree

need any stylus

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi, i'm from Russia. Sorry for my bad english. I design a homemade lathe from old scanner. And i have some results. Today i have good low-noise groove made by a steel 78 RPM stylus with a self-made heating coil. But this stylus don't record sound. i think there is two main reason:
1) unsuitable stylus
2) not enough power of speakers
But i'm not sure. I need more experiments. And now i'm not ready to buy a new stylus.
So, if someone has any old or blunt stylus for stereo cutting, i may buy it for low price.

vmspoland

Re: need any stylus

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 am

On DVD I CD you can only print plates , you cannot cut , joins {binds} this with the structure poliwęglan , poliwęglan possesses the structure of fibres wherethrough during such cut turns {does} the spike and tears out elements poliweglan , because poliwęglan is perfectly fitted for expressions , if you want to obtain at least minimum- STEREO you must use coding MID and SIDE , consider hereof
I add foto of the simple machine to the knife CUTTER HEAD , this will sharpen the knife on the shape of the pyramid , in Russia are very good carbides parched widia , the knife dala of the carbide you can sharpen with the ailette with powder diamond- about the diameter 50 mms , you polish him the disk with the abrasive paper 2500 the granulosis the silicon oxide , final polishing perform with the ceria she complies {uses} him to polishing of the glass , but grants sie terz to polishing of the carbide parched , the hardness the cemented carbide crosses the hardness of the sapphire , is almost so hard as the diamond , the hardness of the carbide parched from 9, 2 to 9, 7 in the scale of Morsa , is then the translation with jezyka of Polish on English I do not know whether you will understand
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Angus McCarthy

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi, eatree, and welcome to the forum!

It's hard to say what might be the issue with your home-built lathe without knowing more. Did you build your cutter head yourself as well? If you are getting a quiet groove but no audio the issue probably lies with the head - not producing enough power to drive the stylus properly. You can cut/emboss stereo with a Standard (78) stylus, but the geometry will not be exactly 45-45, like with a microgroove stylus, so you might want to get your hands on a microgroove stylus anyway.

eatree

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 am

Here is my 45/45 selfmade cutterhead. I used a 3-watt speakers from a cheap sound system. Speakers are plugged in phase-inverted mode. I use the track from computer as a input signal. so I do RIAA correction in the program.
I stuck a steel rod to the center of each speaker in the epoxy. Needle holder is made of aluminum. there is also a rod attached to the V-shaped spring made ​​of thin steel. (I did experiments with v-shaped spring and without it. the same result). Heating coil is wound on a 78 RPM needle with ceramic sealant.

What do you think, what could be wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

markrob

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:32 am

Hi,

Looks like a nice job of construction. However, I think you have quite a bit of moving mass in your design. Given the large size of the drivers a the length of the members, you might be up against big losses in coupling the motion of the speakers to the stylus. You might want to measure the approximate resonance of your system by tapping the stylus holder and connecting one of the speakers to an oscilloscope or your sound card. You should see a damped sine wave with a frequency at your main resonance. If this is very low (e.g. below 400hz), you will not have good results. Also, to eliminate probles of phase, try driving only one speaker. Is you stylus constructed as an embossing device or are you actually cutting material?

Mark

opcode66

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:42 am

I'm going to change my stylus soon. You can have my old one. PM me you mailing address.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

eatree

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:12 am

markrob wrote:Hi,

Looks like a nice job of construction. However, I think you have quite a bit of moving mass in your design. Given the large size of the drivers a the length of the members, you might be up against big losses in coupling the motion of the speakers to the stylus. You might want to measure the approximate resonance of your system by tapping the stylus holder and connecting one of the speakers to an oscilloscope or your sound card. You should see a damped sine wave with a frequency at your main resonance. If this is very low (e.g. below 400hz), you will not have good results. Also, to eliminate probles of phase, try driving only one speaker. Is you stylus constructed as an embossing device or are you actually cutting material?

Mark
Thank you for your help. I am confused in the terminology, and do not fully understand what it means to "Embossing".

vmspoland

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:56 am

:|

eatree

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:15 am

markrob wrote:Hi,

Mark
it is embossing the device. So I'm trying to get the cutting needle to experiment.