Vestax

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Self-lather

Vestax

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:48 pm

I really wish these got better reviews, because they look so awesome, and they are relatively cheap compared to other new-ish recording lathes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vestax-VRX-2000-stereo-vinyl-record-cutter-cutting-lathe-turntable-DJ-presto-dub-/281273125315?pt=US_DJ_Turntables&hash=item417d2f49c3

ROLANDJAYS

Re: Vestax

Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:51 am

let me tell you, I just bought one of those 6 months ago, and it was just a pain in my ass. a few things on the lathe had slop, and there are no replacement parts, and everyone who could fix it, just takes your money and lets it sit in the repair shop for months. I wouldn't buy one if it were as cheap as 100$.

jornibudich

Re: Vestax

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:43 am

I believe this one is a bit overpriced itself, specially considering is a second hand one.

I don't know if is just a matter of luck regarding each Vestax unit or being careful while using the equipment. Also, they produced 2 generations of this particular model and seems like the very first one introduced in 2001, presented several production issues. The second one came out around 2004/2005.

Mine is second generation and purchased brand new from "Hard To Find" in the UK a couple of years ago and runs very smooth. Maybe my previous experience with Presto and Rek-o-Kut units helped to be careful with this particular piece of equipment but I took my chances and have no complaints for what I payed for.

It was originally WAY overpriced, I agree. Mine was brand new when I purchased it and it included warranty. I got it at a decent price point considering any Stereo cutting system available in the marker and the options of space and storage. I never expected a Neumann/Fairchild but neither an Audax/WIlcox-Gay type of thing - I was looking for something in between and that is what I got. Even the rumble is fine considering some Rek-o-Kut or Presto motors.

I have only worn out one out of the 3 sapphires and I have cut a lot of plates including Lexan and NOS blanks. Yeah, I was annoyed when took me a while to adjust everything to get the threat out with a fan while cutting, and EQ'ing this particular head. The instructions are extremely poor and yeah, no feedback but no rocket science to do the right connections and monitor the signal. Regardless of all criticism, I am happy with it.

I wonder if there was some sort of "boicot" to give bad reputation to take this particular machine out of the market or most units ended up in hands of people who believed that cutting a record is as easy as burning a CD and they ended up breaking it. Yeah, it is somehow fragile but also know cases of peope who got big and expensive lathes and they ended up breaking them simply because they did not know what they were doing or lack of experience/patience.

Regarding parts, some apollo needles work fine with it and even good results with diamond and PVC.
JORNI (Vancouver BC)