used cutting styli

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

dietrich10

used cutting styli

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:43 pm

is there a market for these?
I have 320s, nhs2, 350s, 340s and maybe some others of different vintages...
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

Virtalahde

Re: used cutting styli

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:41 am

I'm in for some Westrex 350's. Useful for setting up my system once I get around putting all the pieces together. I'm anyway going to ruin a styli, so it could be a used one just aswell..

audadvnc

Sun May 11, 2014 11:58 pm

Buying used stylii sounds about as useful as buying used condoms...

Stevie342000

Mon May 12, 2014 6:36 am

I get the comparison, but it may be if there was someone out there that could sharpen them at a reasonable cost or those that make current diamond or sapphire styli to offer an upgrade or part exchange again at a reasonable price.

There may be more mileage in used styli as long as they are blunt, chipped ones a whole different matter.

I see no reason why as a beginner for the first few attempts you should not use an old stylus, it allows you to get the feel of cutting and the parameters in which your cutting system operates, it's part of the learning curve.

Thanks to this forum we now have more choices than we did a few years back and long may those choices increase however small the market. I for one commend the efforts made by all on the list to offer a choice in parts, sharing knowledge and for keeping this art alive.

The alternative to old gem cutting styli is the new offering from Jerry (listed on ebay under presto I think) on here (see classifieds) of modern steel styli, you got the option of chisel or cone, so you can either cut or emboss. They are cheap and offer a safer alternative than trying to cut with a gem for your first few attempts.

audadvnc

Mon May 12, 2014 11:34 pm

A couple years ago I was interested in getting some of my old stylii resurfaced, and asked around with a few jewelers. After looking at the specifications they were spooked and wouldn't touch the project.

Makes me wonder how exact you really need those dimensions and angles to be. Would a "close enough" resurfacing be better than the rounded, blunt stylus? I would think so... but setting up jigs & etc for such an undertaking would probably be worthwhile only if there were sufficient unit quantities to work with.

Are all you guys socking away your old stylii for a better day? How many do you have - 2, a dozen, or scores of 'em?

dietrich10

Tue May 13, 2014 8:08 am

There are some styli I stop using on masters but are more than acceptable for cutting dub plates.
I am sure I am not the only one that changes styli even before they go 'bad'.
cutting lacquers-vms70 system