SOLD : Neumann AM32 in original condition

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

audiohabit11

SOLD : Neumann AM32 in original condition

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:17 pm

Hey People,

I own a Neumann AM32 (circa 1957) cutting lathe that I inherited from my father.
It has been in the family since the mid-60's and has been very well cared for.

Since moving it to Auckland in 2002, we did a few test cuts on the machine to ensure it was all working.
I then had to move it into safe storage whilst my work took me overseas. Unfortunately I am never going to get the opportunity to use it again, so I am looking to sell it to a caring new owner.

It has a Grampian Mono cutter head powered by a Philips 80w amp.
I really don't know too many of the other spec's other than it is complete and was working well last time we fired it up.

Serious enquiries only please.
Thanks
SB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aussie0zborn

Re: Neumann AM32 - Looking to sell in original condition

Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:29 pm

Thanks for posting and offering it here. I'm sure you can find a worthy owner right here. Please don't sell it to Asia - it will never cut a record again.

Overall, very nice. It appears to be the missing link ... something between an AM131 and an AM32B.

This might explain the lathe bases Flozki found in Germany... no cut-out for a panel in the lathe base.

socialroots

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:42 am

dont sell it to anyone in Asia, it will never be used to cut record again. now is that fact!? a very commonly repeated attitude in these forums ,“what ever you do dont sell it to Asia”.
i really wonder how many perfectly functional recording lathes exists around the world but dont EVER get to cut any records anymore? dumb ass question ,sorry, ,i should know that answer already by reading posts here, there arent any, this could only be possible in Asia!

Sorry to be on the lookout to buy cutting gear,and have it relocated over here in Asia.

Patrick, inna Taiwan

handcut

Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:32 pm

Nice! I'm sure somebody will give it a good home.

Socialroots: fair comment, Asia is a big place! I think Aussie may be referring to some audiophile trend of buying cutting lathes for use as a playback system. I've heard talk of this elsewhere, too.

Aussie0zborn

Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi Patrick... no offense intended my friend. I'm relying on history but I should have clarified "unless it's a Lathe Troll member who intends to cut records".

History shows us that nine Neumann lathes left Australia and went to Korea for use as turntables. We've seen the photos... some are set up in lounge rooms, some in listening rooms and some in bedrooms. If you see the photos you might feel the way I do.

One Neumann AM32 (brand new and never used) from Greece was sold to Korea in 2006. I still don't see anybody in that part of Asia cutting records.

There are two Neumann lathes that I know of in Taiwan... one VMS70 (that came our of Sony Music Studios, London) and one VMS80 (originally installed in Taiwan). Perhaps there are two disc cutting studios in Taiwan? What do you think the chances are?

Earlier this year I saw a Neumann VMS70 in a hi-fi store in Japan. It's not for sale... strictly for demonstration purposes and to get customers drooling and probably a way to get them to buy the next best thing... one of the many overpriced Garrard 301 turntables in the store.

So please excuse my cynicism but I can't agree with using lathes as turntables just for "bragging rights". And history shows us that it's audiophiles in Asia who covet these things more than people on any other continent so unless a buyer in Asia wants to cut records, I will always try to sway the seller away from selling to audiophiles regardless of where they are. It's such a shame to see these things re-purposed in this way and it might give more opportunity for a lathe troll to become a lathe owner.

studiorp

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:09 pm

I think that if a lathe was born for cutting, MUST die for cutting. Obvious that everyone is free to do each thing, but there isn't nothing of more wonderful that see a lathe in recording action for all here, otherwise we can change title to this forum, that could be " The secret society of playing turntable ". I love turntables, clear but why use a pro machine as an old Neumann only as turntable ?

Big Al

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Auzzie - here is one that is set up in an audiophiles bedroom here in Japan!

http://www.gokudo.co.jp/Vanguard/room3/room3.htm

Totally agree that is such a shame for these wonderful machines to be just simply used as playback machines!

Can you remember the name of the shop that you saw the VMS70 in, I'd love to go and check it out if its still there.

ROLANDJAYS

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:09 pm

oh my jesus ! :shock: :shock:

mischmerz

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:40 pm

Sweet machine. Just for the goofs .. I am sure that it wouldn't fit in my house and quite probably not in my budget as well - what is the appropriate value for a machine kike that?

Michaela

socialroots

Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:16 pm

that neumann is better off in Japan in the owners bedroom being used as a playback deck than being a neglected relic of the past sitting in storage,uncared for ,and unmaintained. im quite sure thats probably alot more common than finding a cutting lathe in someones bedroom,or in a store as a display unit,even being a display unit is better than one that was left neglected for decades instorage,like in someones basement,or garage. i just keep seeing the same friggin pic posted byvthe same guy and with the same reaction “what a waste”! you probably got to have some extra spending cash if you can afford something like that machine in the picture,and if you spend that kind of cash just for bragging rights,chances are that machine will be maintained in a good condition,much better than NOT being used for cutting,just as an item left in storage. i wonder when was the last time this machine being sold has been had the glorious life of cutting records ? the owner even states something like“ it was running,working fine the LAST TIME i checked”.
waste, better off as a store display,which is no worse than being in some museum,and will be cared for,cleaned ect...which i will state again,is better than sitting in a storage ANYWHERE outside of Asia.

sorry if i messed up in my writting,english is not my first language
Patrick inna Taiwan
p.s i would love for anyone to provide me ANY leads on where the vms 70, vms 80 in Taiwan are located,who owns them? Taiwan is a very small island,and i do know pretty much the who is who of music production on this island,im curious ,cuz ive been asking around for a good 15yrs now,trying to relocate all the cutting equipment from the hey days of Taiwan disc manufacturing era. maybe ive been barking up the wrong tree,i know better now,got to start checking audiophiles bedrooms!

dimi751

Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:48 pm

Does anyone know how much this lathe is worth ?

andybee

Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:35 pm

has anybody seen, the machine is full of oil...
I think, the original pitch is not the best, even the VMS 70 pitch is not the best...
The headmount looks like an old version, there are several version of the am32 built:
http://www.floka.com/pdf/am32b.pdf
The basic things are there, I would say arround 10.000 euro would be a fair price...
If you want to build a up to day cutting lathe with VMS 70 specs, you will need another 10-20k Euros...
just my personal view.

gold

Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:55 am

This was operated as a mono system. There should be three units for the pitch and depth system. I see three units in the picture. The unit below the DC PSU's is the integration amplifier (LV). It's usually positioned in between the unit for LL and the unit for V. The middle unit in the picture doesn't have the original faceplate. I wonder if it is the correct unit. If operated as a mono system there would be no need for the LV and V amplifiers.

gold

Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:14 pm

I used the stock pitch and depth system on a VMS62 special for about five years. It's the same as the AM32. While not as good as a VMS66/70 pitch and depth system it is certainly useful. It was about the only thing on the VMS62 that didn't need to be restored. It worked reliably until I got my VMS66. The tubes run so lightly that they should never need to be changed.

audiohabit11

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:48 am

Thanks everyone for your feedback and recommendations.

There's been a serious number of enquiries so far. Some would love a manual for it as well, which is encouraging :D
Where would I find one in any form these days, other than sitting down with my Dad and writing one?

audiohabit11

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:52 am

here's pic of it in use at HMW Wellington before being installed at EMI in Lower Hutt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Radardoug

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:52 pm

Did you ever sell this lathe?

audiohabit11

Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:42 pm

Lathe has sold - thank you for your enquiries and feedback.