Bob Morrison's Book: DISK RECORDING 1930-1960 Now Available

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

grooveguy

Bob Morrison's Book: DISK RECORDING 1930-1960 Now Available

Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:43 pm

Dear Fellow Trolls,

I am delighted to report that Bob Morrison’s marvelous book, DISK RECORDING 1930-1960, is once again available, now as a high-res PDF file on a CD-ROM. Having the book reprinted would have been prohibitively expensive, but creating a digital file from a pristine copy has turned out to be a most satisfactory alternative.

Actually, I sacrificed my own treasured copy of Bob’s book to have it sliced apart and scanned by an outfit in Missouri that does archival document preservation. These people did an excellent job; even the fine print in photographed data sheets is as readable as the same images in the printed original.

Because the scan preserved full resolution and color rendering, the PDF is a quite large file. But burning a CD is a relatively painless matter, so the book is being offered at $15, plus $2 for a rigid mailer and first-class postage to USA addresses, postage at cost to other destinations.

Proceeds from the sale of this CD will go to Pat Morrison, Bob’s widow and the registered copyright holder. Bob never saw a penny from the sale of the original printed books, and I’m asking you guys to respect what we’re trying to do here and refrain from ripping the CD and passing around bootleg copies. $17 is a very fair price for the knowledge, information, memories and entertainment that are contained in this volume. You can PM me here on the list and I’ll give you a PayPal link or a postal mailing address for a check.

Jim Wood
Brea, CA
PR Shot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EpicenterBryan

Re: Bob Morrison's Book: DISK RECORDING 1930-1960 Now Availa

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:15 pm

grooveguy wrote:Actually, I sacrificed my own treasured copy of Bob’s book to have it sliced apart and scanned by an outfit in Missouri that does archival document preservation.
That was quite a sacrifice you made Jim. It's a great book with really cool photos and reprints as well. Highly recommended. I'm one of the three lucky guys who got one. No, you can't borrow it :)

Bryan

grooveguy

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:47 pm

Keep your door locked, Bryan! Actually, the scanning outfit sent mine back in an envelope. They just sliced off the spine, probably lost 1/16" or less, so it could probably be re-bound. Every time I pick that book up it inspires me to go out in the lab and cut a side. That lacquer fragrance is more of a turn-on than any French perfume... for me, anyway. (Yeah, I know: kinky.)

EpicenterBryan

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:12 pm

grooveguy wrote:Actually, the scanning outfit sent mine back in an envelope.
Hey Jim, I would be happy to swap copies with you. And I have my own 3 ring binder punch! Really.
It's a very cool thing you have done for the whole community not to mention future trolls and the Morrison family. I love that this material is available for others now through your efforts. I have to admit that I felt a bit guilty that I was one of the lucky three, and others got left out. Such good stuff.

Bravo!

Bryan

EpicenterBryan

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:47 pm

grooveguy wrote:Every time I pick that book up it inspires me to go out in the lab and cut a side.
And every time I see an channel of Inovonics in an old copy of dB, or on E-bay, it makes me wonder what an Ampex or Scully would sound like with Inovonics electronics. Oh such a tangled web of great audio gear all you guys have played with and / or created... Inovonics has quite the history too. I hope someday YOU will put a book together as well.

Bryan

SunnyLau

Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:57 am

I am very interested in your copy. Can you please give more information about the contain and the transaction? Thanks . Sunny