Leadscrew motor - cheap

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

grooveguy

Leadscrew motor - cheap

Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:19 pm

Hey, guys,

I bought this motor and PWM controller off eBay; the combination cost me something under $20. It's a really nice little inside-out motor with a planetary gear reducer, giving it enough power to drive a leadscrew through an O-ring belt and pulley arrangement for further speed reduction and vibration isolation.
Motor.jpg
Although the motor does include a Hall-effect sensor for full closed-loop speed control using an Arduino or other alternate controller, the PWM controller in open-loop mode gives excellent speed regulation with low 'source impedance'; that is, when you try to slow the motor down, it pulls more current to maintain the speed that's been set. Feedback uses back-EMF from the motor, which is sensed by the controller board to vary the motor drive. The little pot on the board allows continuous and smooth speed adjustment between 7 r.p.m. and 57 r.p.m. at the shaft, and the speed stays very constant over time and with normal load variations. The pot can be replaced with an external reference voltage input for variable-pitch cutting. The board needs 12VDC at about half an amp; an appropriate 'wall wart' would work just fine.

The motor spins with very little vibration, and the speed reducer gives it plenty of torque. It ought to be adaptable to a Presto or Rek-O-Kut type of overhead, and should not induce motor noise into groove, even if mounted right on the overhead with appropriate rubber isolators.

I bought this hoping that the speed range would be enough for cutting and for spiraling. But an 8:1 speed ratio isn't sufficient for that. Cutting at 200 lpi, the spiral would be only 25 lpi. Good enough for between bands, but not for the lead-out. So make sure that your leadscrew clutch arrangement will still allow hand spiraling with the motor driving the screw.

As I said, I have less than $20 in this, and will be happy to let it go to an interested Troll for $30 via PayPal, which includes shipping to any US location. Leave a PM if you are interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mischmerz

Re: Leadscrew motor - cheap

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:43 pm

Still have it.? I am interested.

m.