Bartok Presto 8DG Lathe For Sale!

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Bartok Presto 8DG Lathe For Sale!

Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:39 pm

I bought Peter Bartok's studio from his estate, which included this Presto 8DG. It was sort of a sight-unseen, make a decision immediately or miss out on it type of deal. So I dropped everything and flew out to Tampa 48 hours later and picked up this lathe and three racks of homebrew tube gear and drove it back to Tucson in a Uhaul. When I got it home, I realized that it was HIGHLY modified by Peter (literally everything at his house was), and being that these huge lathes are less in my wheelhouse than the smaller portable ones. Sooo... I'm willing to let this go, exactly as I picked it up, for basically what I have in it.

This is sold as-is, and definitely needs some work to get it back running. It would be tough to get it back running the way Peter had it, because there was a ton of modifications (many of which seem to have to do with a feedscrew motor that I couldn't quite figure out), but probably wouldn't take too much work to get back to semi-stock if you are mechanical. All of these mods were done in the 50s I think.

Some of the mods:
-Definitely had some sort of feedscrew motor
-Includes a Van Epps cutterhead
-Playback tonearm (with an airplane Tanqueray botttle as a counterweight! hahah)
-some sort of floating suspension
-Lots of other mods that I have no idea what they do.

[redacted] includes freight to anywhere in the continental US.

https://flic.kr/p/2kGssp8
https://flic.kr/p/2kGw4rK
https://flic.kr/p/2kGssrc
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Re: Bartok Presto 8DG Lathe For Sale!

Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 pm

I will also deliver this to Los Angeles for [redacted]
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:18 pm

Here are a bunch of photos. The three RCA racks full of tube compressors, equalizers, amplifiers, etc are also available and also as is.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cx3a9hxx9ohh73h/AABuaTxxtuyKQQArGRBiO4Dxa?dl=0
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

symatic

Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:03 am

just here for the pics. beautiful! great effort as always Mike, hope it finds a nice new home

piaptk

Sat May 15, 2021 12:54 pm

Last chance to take this as-is for cheap. Gonna start restoring it in a month.

Or, If you would be interested in purchasing it as a running machine (can be made stereo), let me know.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

rsimms3

Mon May 17, 2021 9:32 pm

:drool: I wish I could scrounge that much cash and justify to my wife it's "cheap".....LOL!

piaptk

Tue May 18, 2021 1:10 am

rsimms3 wrote:
:drool: I wish I could scrounge that much cash and justify to my wife it's "cheap".....LOL!
“But honey, its an INVESTMENT... its not like im throwing the money away, im going to have this enormous and beautiful thing taking up more space in the house!”

My wife told me it was either her or the all the vintage crap. I would say I miss her, but I really don’t. 🤣
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

rsimms3

Tue May 18, 2021 10:22 pm

piaptk wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:10 am
rsimms3 wrote:
“But honey, its an INVESTMENT... its not like im throwing the money away, im going to have this enormous and beautiful thing taking up more space in the house!”

My wife told me it was either her or the all the vintage crap. I would say I miss her, but I really don’t. 🤣
If only I didn't already have a giant lathe taking up space in my barn that I was neglecting...I'd be all over this one.

piaptk

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:55 pm

Krisd pulled out all the crazy spaghetti wire from the mods and we are very confident this can be put back to stock (or better). This is going to be a nice lathe.

Can come with a nice sounding stereo head if you want! Should be ready in a few weeks!
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com