WTB Timex Magnetic Recording Disc OR Complete Timex Recorder

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

rexophone

WTB Timex Magnetic Recording Disc OR Complete Timex Recorder

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:39 pm

I recently was given a 1950s Timex Model 40 magnetic disc recorder in rough shape with no record. I would like to find a record for the unit to get it working. Could also use accessories missing from my unit--the cartridge/head to play 45 RPM records, the original mic, the erasing magnet, the 45 adapter.

Frankly I wouldn’t mind finding a complete unit if anyone has one in their overflow stuff. Looks fun to play with!

Thanks!
Steve

emorritt

Re: WTB Timex Magnetic Recording Disc OR Complete Timex Recorder

Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:43 am

If you can find a disc for a Brush 'Mail-A-Voice' machine it would work; the Timex is the same concept. Drive disc in the center with a tracker and the magnetic head is at the end of the "tonearm".

Like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265220657358?hash=item3dc06210ce:g:i7IAAOSwAW9gy-7L

rexophone

Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:15 pm

Thanks! I had heard there were other compatible discs. I haven't seen the MAIL-A-VOICE. Certainly looks like a tougher unit than the Timex.

Steve

emorritt

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:58 am

One of these discs would work as well; for the GE Play Talk toy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDo3awqwCvc

rexophone

Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:02 am

Thanks. That's new to me. I've collected various small disc cutter technologies like Grey, Soundscriber, Voicewriter, as well as wire and tape recorders, but I have never been aware of magnetic discs during the same period. Always fun to find something you haven't been observant enough to run across.

If I can't find a disc, I will use a 1970s 8" floppy. I like that MAIL A VOICE unit on Ebay, but I see it is missing the spiral guiding disc. May just re-capacitor my Timex if nothing else shows up and try it out.

Steve

emorritt

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:46 am

Yes, I think an old large floppy disc would work as well; same concept. The other machine's discs I think were thinner. The Mail-A-Voice was intended for dictation and business communication. The discs would fold and fit into a #10 envelope for mailing. At the other end you unfolded the disc, got the creases out, put it on the machine and it played back. If you tired folding the thick plastic Soundscriber, Audograph or Edison Voicewriter discs you wouldn't be so lucky on the other end; you'd just have to break down and use a larger envelope and pay more postage... :roll:

MEGAMIKE

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:11 am

I have an emidicta 1948? with Hebrew font. (motor dead).ive completly stripped it to workout how its iddler works with its well bearing and transfered it to a diy plimf project thing that I've given up on.
I have one magnetic 12in disk thin like a Flexi, don't know whats on it.

rexophone

Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:42 pm

Thanks! That's another magnetic disc I've never heard of. I would be interested in your disc except my machine will only accept up to an 8 inch disc. I don't believe I have a decent way of cutting it down. But I really appreciate your offer.

Steve