12" LaserDisc (LD) Movies for cutting

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

EpicenterBryan

12" LaserDisc (LD) Movies for cutting

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:11 pm

Hey guys,
I ended up with 200+ of these 12" LaserDisc (LD) movies for cutting. They are like double thick 12" CDs.
The only downside is the center hole needs an adapter. The size is not a standard 45 large hole.
I might consider making some adapters with a 3D printer to include with the discs. Let's see what the response is like to this post...
IMG_9136[1].JPG
Some of the movies (that actually have decent value) I'll probably sell on Ebay, but I have lots that I'm willing to sell for the experimenters out there. I'm thinking $5 per disc is fair. I can ship via media mail to keep costs down. Sorry, no international shipping.

Looks like DR. Dub has had good success cutting on these. Below is a Youtube video:
Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alfred

Re: 12" LaserDisc (LD) movie's for cutting

Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:12 am

Hi Brian
I practice the embossing, and I have done a test. The results is quite disaster. Do you think that maybe this technique is not suitable for laserdisc?
Thanks in advance

piaptk

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:50 pm

Alfred wrote:
Hi Brian
I practice the embossing, and I have done a test. The results is quite disaster. Do you think that maybe this technique is not suitable for laserdisc?
Thanks in advance
Laserdiscs are acrylic (not polycarbonate like CDs) so they have to be cut using sapphire cutting styli. They also must be VERY flat. Any warp at all causes there to be rotational noise.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

MrRom92

Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:24 am

Is that a Jaws discovision CAV I see there?

That one alone is fairly sought after… if you aren’t an LD collector it will be difficult to accurately determine what has value and what is worth cutting into. Honestly I would recommend just selling the lot to LD collectors, lest something truly rare/valuable ends up going under a cutterhead…

EpicenterBryan

Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:55 pm

MrRom92 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:24 am
Is that a Jaws discovision CAV I see there?
Good eye.
Yes, most of the movies will end up on E-bay since there hasn't been many takers for cutting.

Bryan

Alfred

Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:03 am

piaptk wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:50 pm
Alfred wrote:
Hi Brian
Thanks in advance
Laserdiscs are acrylic (not polycarbonate like CDs) so they have to be cut using sapphire cutting styli. They also must be VERY flat. Any warp at all causes there to be rotational noise.
Thanks so much for the info.

tragwag

Re: 12" LaserDisc (LD) Movies for cutting

Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:13 pm

I've been cutting laserdiscs with diamond for years now. the stock varies WIDELY of course like Mike said, they have to be super flat.
I cut a 45 RPM spider adapter with scissors and hold it in there with two 4" labels
laserdisc_3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

EpicenterBryan

Re: 12" LaserDisc (LD) Movies for cutting

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:20 pm

I don't know how to edit or delete the post, so here is an update: Sept 20, 2021.

There were a few takers among disc cutters for these. So sadly they are no longer available.
Most were scarfed up in blocks by LD movie collectors on Ebay.

If anyone is still interested in trying 12" LD movies, you should just search for "LOT LD Laserdisc" on Ebay. I'm shocked at how little a lot goes for, compared to a single "Rare or Obscure" LD goes for... I sold a few as single movies with multiple discs.

Go figure. Sad.

Bryan