Chip mess and suction issues

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

rsimms3

Re: Chip mess and suction issues

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Have you received your new pump?

I was further exploring options and ran across this -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GOMCO-Dental-Or-Medical-Aspirator-Vacuum-Suction-Pump-MODEL-908-50628-/281811692198?hash=item419d492aa6

Not sure on how much noise these motors make but seems to have adjustable vacuum and includes a catch jar. Also looks small and compact. Given it is designed to be used in a dental office, etc. it should have sufficient suction over a long length of tubing given you'd want it out of the way when working with patients.

mischmerz

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:08 pm

rsimms3 wrote:I was further exploring options and ran across this
Now that's funny. I was just looking at exactly the same pump(s). Question is: Will they provide us with the suction needed?

Michaela

rsimms3

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:28 pm

I think so. jesusfwrl indicated in the first post being able to pick up most of the chip with a vacuum cleaner measuring at 160mbar. The gauge on these goes up to 30 inHG which is approximately 6x what jesusfwrl is currently getting. Even at 20 inHG your talking 4x his recorded amount. 160mbar equals 4.72inHG according to a calculator I found online.

jesusfwrl

Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:20 am

Nope, I have not received the pump yet. I have been experimenting with the venturi principle idea but not had good results. A sealed system appears to have stronger suction potential at the mouth.

The medical pump sounds like a very good option. Is there a flow rating? The gauge will definitely not reach full scale, and the vacuum in inHG or mbar is a function of free flow and the restriction imposed in the free flow by the entire system, along with the maximum vacuum the pump can achieve under a total restriction of airflow.

So, to be sure, you need the full specifications. But, at this price, I'd buy it and see. The one I ended up getting is way over-rated for what I need , but better over than under. Plus, ratings can sometimes be a bit optimistic...

By the way, the title says ASPIRATOR/Vacuum Pump. The jar says vacuum, but an aspirator BLOWS air into the nose of a patient, after pressing it through water, so it is moist. Double-check...
A dental vacuum pump would do the right thing. Some of these things are reversible. The inHg scale is mostly used for vacuum, so could be the right thing.
~~~ Precision Mechanical Engineering, Analog Disk Mastering ~~~
Agnew Analog Reference Instruments: http://www.agnewanalog.com

rsimms3

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:59 am

Interesting, I though the aspirator part was with regard to sucking up the aspirations of the person, not the pump itself.

Quick search turned this up on Wiki:
An aspirator, is a type of ejector-jet pump, that produces vacuum by means of the Venturi effect.
In an aspirator, fluid (liquid or gaseous) flows through a tube which then narrows. When the tube narrows, the fluid's speed increases, and because of the Venturi effect, its pressure decreases. Vacuum is taken from this point.
So, the jar on the side with the ball in it below the gauge, would there be water in there which would be the side inlet of the aspirator fitting that produces the Venturi effect? Would liquid need to be in that jar to produce the effect?

jesusfwrl

Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:09 pm

I thought the aspiration of the patient refers to the patient actually breathing in. I am not 100% sure about other uses of the term but the stereotypical tube that goes into a patients nose is there to provide air or pure oxygen, depending on the condition of the patient. This is usually powered by a large installation providing breathable air and oxygen supplies to an entire hospital building. I have never seen one as an individual unit that looks like that, but then again, I've only seen modern ones.
So, you think the pump might actually be a compressor that would create suction via the venturi effect in the jar? Very unlikely in my opinion, as the jar looks like its purpose is the exact same as for a chip jar on lathes: to catch any liquids or solids so they do not end up in the pump itself. It works just the same with or without water in terms of vacuum, but needs soapy water to keep the solids from flying around. If it is a vacuum suction system, then the pump would most likely be a vacuum pump.
If it is an aspirator then it would be an compressor and the jar would contain water to moisten the air to not dry out the patients nose. In this arrangement, the long tube has to be under the surface of the water. In vacuum suction the long tube only has to be near the surface of the water but doesn't need to be under it unless you want a bubble effect...
~~~ Precision Mechanical Engineering, Analog Disk Mastering ~~~
Agnew Analog Reference Instruments: http://www.agnewanalog.com

mischmerz

Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:07 pm

I just bought one of those pumps from Ebay (50 Bucks). Wikipedia: Aspirator (medical device), a suction device used to remove bodily fluids from a patient

mm.

rsimms3

Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Which one did you end up buying? Looking forward to hearing a review, especially the noise level.

mischmerz

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:39 pm

rsimms3 wrote:Which one did you end up buying? Looking forward to hearing a review, especially the noise level.
This one :) I have my own setup - so I don't need a jar. Especially since I don't know, what has been sucked into it *shudder* . I'll keep you posted.

Michaela
sucker.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tragwag

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:37 pm

those look useful!
though possibly loud
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

mischmerz

Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:24 pm

Ok ladies and gents: I've got the pump. It's not louder than a vacuum cleaner though I am stuffing in into a closet in my studio anyway. The moving air mass is about as it was from my vacuum cleaner setup, maybe a tad more. The *big* difference is the suction force. This pump will not allow the suction lines and hoses to get clogged easily. I paid 50 bucks for it and I'd say this was money well spent.
sucker.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rsimms3

Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:10 pm

Good to hear...especially since I just won an auction for a similar model for $34 delivered. How long are the hoses/tubing you're running?

mischmerz

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:54 pm

rsimms3 wrote:Good to hear...especially since I just won an auction for a similar model for $34 delivered. How long are the hoses/tubing you're running?
I have my jar right at the lathe and about 5ft tube running to the pump. 34 Bucks delivered is a real good shot. Congrats :)

m.