K 8 Tire

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Doug6N

K 8 Tire

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:41 pm

Hi everyone:

Anyone have a idea or solution to replacing the drive tire on the K8? Mine is shrunken and hard and imparts lots of mechanical noise onto the recording. I've tried turning it inside out. Some help but not much.

Thanks

Doug

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:35 am

Maybe Gib Epling at West Tech?

Doug6N

K8 Tire

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:43 pm

Hi Steve:

Thanks. I have talked to Gib no luck. He repaired the cutter and playback heads for me though.

Doug

JayDC

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:04 am

rubberband?... I mean it's a quick fix, but maybe it will provide the proper traction..

cuttercollector

Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:24 pm

Perhaps Alan Graves (Mr. Presto history) has a fix.
http://www.televar.com/grshome/Presto.htm
Would some large O ring or grommet fit and work?

canadiansynthetics

Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:46 pm

Buy a can of automotive belt dressing. Give it a good soak, avoid getting the dressing on any of the inside gears. If the belt is still rough, file it down with a piece of emory.

45rpmdude

Re: K 8 Tire

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Do you mean the round gear that grips under the record cutter. im asuming you mean the roller gear.???

Why not have a machine shop make one for you, and have him slip on an o ring..
ive had one made. It runs pretty smooth with that one on it i must say. So have one made for your deck. Price will vary,,where ur located.. however mine was 20 bucks.

i still havent leanred to upload pics,, im kind of illerate of that.. anyways its better than having one scoured down for $65.00. some guy does that check online. hes kind of expensive. but you got the enough money go for it. or take the other route.

either way an o ring is much cheaper. and less prone to dammage.. Hope this helps..\

some sand paper and let the gear soak in some lemon wood polish for a few hours.. this preserves the rubber and makes it grabb better.. i think..

opcode66

Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:42 pm

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

I believe this guy makes new ones
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

rsimms3

Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Completely baffled as to why someone would reply to a 7 year old thread....

piaptk

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Be unbaffled: here is why:

Because it's a seven year old thread that applies to a problem that plenty of other people could potentially have. k8s are one of the most common lathes out there, and that tire getting dried out and mishapen is one of the most common problems with it. I have one with a bad tire, so does MEEP, and I'd venture to say many other people. Now they have more feedback on how to fix it.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

opcode66

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:25 pm

I didn't look at the original post date. I simply answered a question on a thread that seems to have been bumped up by another user 45rpmdude. As per usual, just trying to be helpful.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

rsimms3

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:23 pm

No disrespect intended to anyone, just a very odd thing to see this particular thread get a response after 7 years. There are much newer threads on this topic including one I started in the past 3 months because I have this very issue. Although I'm not sure 45rpmdude is referring to a K8, sounds more like he is referencing a 6n etc because he noted the "round gear that grips under the record cutter". The K8 has the rubber on the side of the table and not underneath.

I've been working with some square o-ring material that I've cross cut to join with rubber-toughened cyanoacrylate. It's not totally quiet at the joint, but much better than the old tire I was using. Next step will be trying to find a retailer for a custom sized infinity belt/tire.

Jesus H Chrysler

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:10 am

I'm sure someone has already tried this, but there are a variety of size belts for riding lawnmowers and such available at hardware stores that are close in width and thickness (The local stores anyway, not so much Lowe's or Home Depot). I haven't compared them closely but it might be worth a shot. Also try auto parts stores. You may get lucky.

rsimms3

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 am

I looked into use of a V belt from the hardware store and ran into several barriers. First, the width of the belts are too large to fit the belt with the tapered side out. Second, if the tapered side was pointed into the groove on the platter you have the regular outer side exposed which is typically rough and not smooth which would cause lots of noise. The third is the length, most V belts are sold in 1" graduations. These belts are meant to handle rough conditions so they have nearly 0 stretch so either the belt is too loose or so tight you can't fit it into the groove of the platter.

Fela Borbone

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Hello!
I have seen K8s only in pictures, so maybe what follows will not fill your needs,but some time ago i needed an elastic rimm around a turntable and this is what I did:

I "lathed" fresh silicone with the plate spinning (by means of the hand)

I also remember using once the rubber that close the lid in a pressure cooker

hope this helps, good luck!

Fela Borbone

Re:

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:13 pm

canadiansynthetics wrote:Buy a can of automotive belt dressing. Give it a good soak, avoid getting the dressing on any of the inside gears. If the belt is still rough, file it down with a piece of emory.
What is "emory" nothing found in google, Is it something to sand rubber?

Thanks!

rsimms3

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:39 pm

Interesting take using silicon and forming it with the platter turning. Does it bond well with rubber? My first thought is it would dry out and fall off of the original rubber tire.

I think that user meant emery - the mineral, like an emery board used to smooth fingernails.

Fela Borbone

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:33 am

Thanks!

Best thing to do,is ask in a rubber shop if a professional can duplicate the rubber part, maybe is not that expensive.
If not , and no other replacement is found,experiments start. I don't think silicone bond well to rubber.Maybe old tyre should be removed.Silicone is much softer than rubber. so the part should be bigger.Sometimes there's other products looking like it but called "sealants" or whatever, whit other properties.I also can't tell if the silicone wears out fast or not.

13yo

Re: Re:

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:11 pm

Fela Borbone wrote:
canadiansynthetics wrote:Buy a can of automotive belt dressing. Give it a good soak, avoid getting the dressing on any of the inside gears. If the belt is still rough, file it down with a piece of emory.
What is "emory" nothing found in google, Is it something to sand rubber?

Thanks!
yes essentially for sanding metal, I think its actually called "emery cloth" and can be used wet (with water), some hi tech versions I've heard have
diamond dust in it, foggy memory from my boiler engineer days

_m

45rpmdude

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Emory is like the green scrubber on a sponge.. You buy them at the supermarket.. in the soap aisle..