How to clean a sapphire?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

sunkingrecords

How to clean a sapphire?

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 am

Hello! this is my first post,

I'm a noob in this matter, just received my first cutting machine and I'm using a Transco diamond (sapphire, I believe) to cut on vinyl.
At one time, it was formed a lot of "chip" which got trapped at the cutting point. I removed it with my fingers, but there still remains some of what I believe is burned vinyl.

There is a picture of my point attached. I can post a picture of it when it was brand new, if necessary

My question, is there a method for cleaning this, maybe a drop of Isopropyl and a Q-tip? Or something like that?

Kind regards!

Miguel Canel

PD: yes, the picture looks like a little mad robot approaching :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I choose not to run .-

opcode66

Re: How to clean a sapphire?

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Most cutters use acetone and a fresh Q-Tip.

If the chip is burnt on and carbonized then there is no getting it off.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

jjgolden

Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Yes, Isopropyl and q-tip.
Also, you can try "pith Wood" in place of the q-tip. I believe Apollo sells it. (Soft like model airplane balsa wood)
You put some isopropyl on it, hold it onto the tip for a few seconds, then you're done.....for now.

Not sure what cutting system you're using, but you may want to have cutter mounted and facing down and not upside down in your lap.
Be careful not to let the alcohol get into the head or other delicate parts of the head..(coils or plastic/rubber parts)

JJG

sunkingrecords

Re: Hot to clean a sapphire?

Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:19 pm

Hello, thanks for your help. I will try the suggested methods. This is a machine made by Angulo Records, in Argentina

Kind regards

Miguel
I choose not to run .-

sunkingrecords

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:16 pm

I just realized I made a typo on the title, I meant to write "How to clean a sapphire". Maybe a moderator can change it? I will be easier for others searching for this same question.

Kind regards!

Miguel
I choose not to run .-

Big Al

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:24 am

Hello Miguel

I checked out the Angulo Records website and saw the R-E-D Serie Pro 2.0 lathe.
It looks very impressive!

Is this the same as the one you have?

It would be great if you could post some information about your lathe, how it performs, what functions it has,
what you are cutting etc.. and some photos of it if possible, as I am sure a lot of people who visit this forum would be very interested to find out more!

Thanks!

sunkingrecords

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi!

yes it is an impressive machine, my first cutter. As I dont have any experiencie with the subject Im still strugling to get clean grooves without noise.

I will post pictures and more information once Im sure about what it is that im doing, for sure.

It has a lot of automation which i still didnt got to test, as im going in manual mode to learn how to use it. It is fully handmade by Raul at Angulo records, a great guy. He makes the virgin vinyl blanks too.

Kind regards!
I choose not to run .-

chenry57

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:27 pm

Methelethyl ketone & pith wood will get rid of it. Just be sure not to huff too much of that