Acrylic Cutting?

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

monkey1553

Acrylic Cutting?

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:19 am

Hi all,

I've seen it mentioned on the forum before and I realize that polycarbonate with diamond seems to be the material and medium of choice these days but is anyone currently cutting with acrylic and sapphire? I believe a few trolls were having some luck with this some time back. I was just curious to know if anybody was currently going this route.

-Michael

Jesus H Chrysler

Re: Acrylic Cutting?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:59 pm

I've gotten good results on acrylic with a sapphire. IMO, it sounds better than embossing on poly. there's just a tiny bit of hiss, almost none if your sapphire is good and sharp, but the higher frequencies come out cleaner (at least on my machine). It does wear out your needles more than other media, and sapphires aren't cheap.

monkey1553

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:39 pm

Thanks Jesus. You were cutting and not embossing then right? If so I'd like to give it a shot. Any idea on many hours you were getting out of a sapphire?

-Michael

Jesus H Chrysler

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:34 pm

Yes I was cutting. I can't really give you an idea on needle life though, I was cutting a lot of different media at the time so I cant give a specific answer on that.

piaptk

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:19 am

I cut on acrylic a fair ampount. It chews up your needles. I'd get about an hour of cuts before the surface noise started to pile on. Wouldn't do it again. Embossing on poly all the way.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com