SANDING OF LABEL AREA (stamper or laquer)

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

andybee

SANDING OF LABEL AREA (stamper or laquer)

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:49 am

SANDING OF LABEL AREA (stamper or laquer):

yes, still a problem for us, there are 2 ways: sanding the laquer or
sanding the stamper...
If I want to want to sand the laquer, wich way is the best?
All results are too deep, laquer sticks on the sanding paper...
I have heard about a stainless steel tool?

Please help me out!!! :)

Thanks!

Andi @www.my45.de

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: SANDING OF LABEL AREA (stamper or lacquer)

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:30 pm

watch the video I made of Desmond's plant, esp the first minute or so. I think that shows the lacquer being sanded in the label area.

Aussie0zborn

Re: SANDING OF LABEL AREA (stamper or laquer)

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:05 am

Sand the lacquer, not the stamper!!

Use a pencil eraser designed for erasing ink - this will give you the roughness you need to prevent the label from cracking without making the roughness too deep that it ruins the sheen of the label. I used to do this on the lathe immediately after the cut.

The label area of the lacquer needs to be rough to give better adhesion for the silver and the nickel build-up. When you have plating problems the nickel will peel away from the label area first if you don't roughen it.

Think of the rough surface of the lacquer due to the cut grooves. Compare that area to the label area. Do you think the label area should not be as rough as the groove area???

So yes, roughen the label area on the lacquer, not the stamper. You just need to sand it enough to take the sheen off the lacquer - you don't need to make grooves. Some lacquer will stick to the sandpaper - just buy another piece of sandpaper when it's no longer useable.

This is how The Vinyl Factory in England does it :

http://www.reuters.com/video/2014/05/30/vinyl-revival-puts-music-world-in-a-spin?&videoId=274432687

mossboss

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 am

Hey
A Scotchpad does it very well
Various grades are available at any paint store, red is rough green not so rough, other colours are different grades
We have Been using green since Adam was a boy a few euro, once a year, it lasts for ever the crap washes off easily, does not clog up
You can do it dry on the lathe wet on the silver spray spinner
We do it on the spinner wet On the lathe it makes a bit of a mess, dust is left behind
http://solutions.3mdeutschland.de/wps/portal/3M/de_DE/EU2/Country/
Also
The center of the white pads as used in commercial vinyl flooring polishers It works a treat and it is about the correct diameter for the center Normally the center is left in there when you buy them, the punched center is correct for 12" labels Cut a round section for the smaller 7" or cut both sizes out of a pad

http://www.totaljanitorialsupplies.co.uk/rotary-floor-pads/rotary-floor-pad-white-pack-of-5
If you have a label punch, it is easy to do, you get the correct size May be you printer of labels can punch it out for you

Not sure what the issue is here but One does it on the lacquer
There are more reasons than just for the label to hang on why it needs to be done and why it is done on the lacquer
Point
By roughening up the center and edges on the lacquer the result is a slight increase in surface area where nickel is deposited, thus helping the nickel to build up at the center as well as the outside perimeter areas,
This has always been a problem since day one with rotary cathodes as used in our game, this was a way to get around the problem
The slightly larger surface area does even out the deposit, the mid area of any grown stamper is thicker than the center or edges
Roughening up the stamper, obviously will not help with the above issue if you are using a rotary cathode holder for growing the stampers
In a static plant or half immersed rotating or moving cathodes, the issue is not as severe, so most likely works fine roughening up the stamper
If you wish to keep the label area nice and smooth assuming you do not have the variation in thickness issue, you may want to use pickling paste to etch the area rather than roughened up
This will work quite well, but you need to be very careful applying it as it is quite harsh, try it out first on some old stampers make sure you don't get water stains on the stampers when you wash it off
http://www.pelox.de/pdf/TS_K-2000-und-green.pdf
If you labels are tearing up, you may want to look at other issues which may be the cause, since I do not understand what your issue is I have included a few methods, enough suggestions here to help along,
Past solutions
Columbia Records with the 2" center bush was a very good way to get rid of the weak center problem!! they Punched it out, they never roughened up the centers on the lacquers but the did the perimeter
Unfortunately the bushes are quite expensive, besides, now days, moulds are almost standard Alpha center
From the
Know it all Smart Ass :lol:
Chris

andybee

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:04 am

Yo, Mr. Knows it all :)

Thanks for all the hints! I don´t know, what a scotch pad is, the 2nd link doesn´t work...
I had some stampers with really ultradeep sanding on the label area, so there was always a problem
with sticking labels.
Since the sanding was done very smooth, with 3000 paper or something very soft (rubber etc.), just to roughen
the surface a B I T, it works perfect!
No damaged labels, no cracked lables, no offset color on the label area...
Our 7inch Galvano is moving cathode, 12inch is rotating.... not finished yet...
So, they came out of another hole :)

As somebody sayed: "All this little things are huge" :)

celine

Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:02 pm

hi andy,

here in america they call this material which is like the scratchy side of a cleaning sponge (waschschwamm) scotch brite ;) it's a brand name of 3M here, and of course you can buy it without the sponge for more industrial purposes than scrubbing your dishes.
454986469.jpg
we use the red king for sanding disks, which is general purpose medium soft.

"Scotch-Brite™ Hand Pads are the alternative to steel wool that will never rust. Impregnated with aluminum oxide abrasive and the durable, 3-dimensional nylon web resists tearing, shredding, and loading for long life. This product has long been the standard for surface conditioning by hand. Clean, blend, finish, and deburr faster and with better results than conventional abrasives. It is mid-range for aggressiveness and finish in the Scotch-Brite™ hand pads line." (that's what 3M says).

celine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.