I need a calibration tool that I don't know the name of

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

smithadamm

I need a calibration tool that I don't know the name of

Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:08 am

I'm looking for a tool to measure the pressure of a disc around the edge as it spins. It would be used to center a turntable. I supposed I could mount a pin at the edge of the turntable and watch to see where it rubs to get it roughly in place, but I need a tool that can give me a reading on very small changes so I can center up the platter on a lathe. I know this tool exists, but I have no idea what it is called so I'm having a hard time tracking one down. The shops I've called this morning just got really annoyed when I tried to describe what I needed and google isn't being much of a help. Do you guys have any suggestions?

markrob

Re: I need a calibration tool that I don't know the name of

Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:50 am

Hi,

Not sure why you would want to measure the pressure, but I think a test dial indicator and stand might be the correct tool you are looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indicator_(distance_amplifying_instrument)

You can use it to measure the vertical runout or the eccentricity of the platter.

Mark

smithadamm

Re: I need a calibration tool that I don't know the name of

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:03 pm

markrob wrote:Hi,

Not sure why you would want to measure the pressure, but I think a test dial indicator and stand might be the correct tool you are looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indicator_(distance_amplifying_instrument)

You can use it to measure the vertical runout or the eccentricity of the platter.

Mark
Yes! thank you. I'm looking to measure the eccentricity of the platter, I figured the mechanism would do this by measuring the pressure against a needle of some kind, more pressure=closer, less pressure=farther away. But, basically that's what I need.