Oil weight for lyrec motor & scully turntable

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

smithadamm

Oil weight for lyrec motor & scully turntable

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:30 pm

I'm going to check the lubrication on my lyrec sm-8-3a (60hz, 117vac). Should I need to tune it up, what is the correct weight of oil to lubricate the motor? I've heard some people mention that it needs a light weight oil, but I can't seem to find a number either in the forum or manual/drawings posted here. Would 5W work?

While I'm on the subject, the turntable base on my Scully is oil filled, what is the right weight to use as a dampening oil? I am guessing 10W, but, again, I can't seem to find any documentation.

leo gonzalez

Re: Oil weight for lyrec motor & scully turntable

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:27 pm

the lyrec does not take any oil at all.

do you have a westrex drive bearing?

unfortunatly, i believe no one has documentation about what oil its supposed to have...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smithadamm

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:10 pm

Thanks. Good to know.

I'm not sure what kind of bearing the Scully has. I'm attaching a picture. It seems like the oil is used to lubricate the bearing as well and act like a damper. There is a huge heavy steel platter that sits on top of the assembly in the picture then the turntable platter ultimately mounts to that.

leo gonzalez

Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:58 am

well that looks like a neumann bearing with spring.

is one of the ends engaged to the bottom cylinder and the other to the top plate?. whats the interaction like of the two like?

before doing anything, put together the lathe and start cutting. you might not need to put oil at all for now.

leo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smithadamm

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:39 am

Yep, end is engaged to the bottom cylinder and the other to the top plate. I'm sure it needs oil of some kind because a lot of the oil spilled in transit. On the top there is a port to put oil into it, the port doesn't have a cap, so you can freely put oil in and oil can freely spill out. Once the turntable is mounted, the port is covered and you can't load oil in.

My instinct is to use something like SAE 10 oil. I suppose I could also get a bit of oil out of the bearing and do a very unscientific drip test with a few different weights to estimate what I'm working with.

tubefan

Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:59 pm

How big is the gap between the upper and lower platters?

It's a flutter filter, platter mass, those coupling springs, and then the oil is the damping. Neumann used very heavy oil, now it's available for model steam trains, it's steam cylinder oil.

smithadamm

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:57 am

tubefan wrote: It's a flutter filter, platter mass, those coupling springs, and then the oil is the damping. Neumann used very heavy oil, now it's available for model steam trains, it's steam cylinder oil.
Good to know. Thanks for the intel. I've been using SAE10 detergent free oil with no problems. I'll get some steam cylinder oil and swap it out.