Deep Grooves Mastering - Project Bladerunner

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

inspector77

Re: Deep Grooves Mastering - Project Bladerunner

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:42 am

Starts well and then disaster!!! :?

But the quality of this piano intro is amazing

opcode66

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:24 pm

The original wave file rips zipped up to give you better perspective than the mp3's. I'm making corrections to the parts in my transducers and building a new pair. I'm also going to wind the coils to 9.4 Ohms instead of 4.7. They won't melt and short as easily if wound with more wire since there is more metal to distribute the heat to. When you wind coils with fewer turns they get hotter than coils with more turns for the same given electrical stimulus, fyi. So, these little tweaks as well as a couple more should get me to some better working more robust all plastic constructed transducers.

And, if I continue to have little dumb issues, I am simply going to stop and get setup for metal. I can now purchase the gear. I just need to decide what to get. Any susggestions?? Thinking about a 4 or 5 axis desktop cnc to start for making parts and interface panels. And, a desktop metal lathe for making torque tubes and push rods. Also a laser engraver for interface panel work.

The audio from last night's test cut before things eat themselves sounded exactly on point. I feel like my design is sound and relatively final and the only thing lacking at this point is metal components.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

opcode66

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:20 pm

I just printed new parts that should be more robust for transducers. I'm about to roll two larger coils as well (more layers same physical dimensions) for 9.4 Ohms DC Resistance each. Hoping to be able to cut more than a minute before having catastrophic failure...

I also just created a mounting bracket that couples with an original Neumann SX Mount that I had spare sitting around. The SX Mount couples with my mounting bracket and thereby becomes one with the cutterhead.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

opcode66

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:19 am

All the changes I wanted to make have been implemented. Including the addition of the official Neumann SX Mount on a custom bracket. Bladerunner 1.I.2 is ready to go on the lathe for test cut. I built up two new trasducers. I am very proficient at making feedback style transducers now and know how I can make them in bulk.

One of the new tranducer's drive coil is 10 ohms. The other's drive coil is 6 Ohms. I am curious to see which operates better in the current configuration. Also, I ran out of wire while rolling the second drive coil, and therefore it is smaller.... :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

opcode66

Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:57 pm

Bladerunner 1.I.2 Test Cut

Shot very quickly yesterday with a chipped stylus. The grooves were not very deep so playback tracking sucked. Grooves were nice and straight and were not deviating in width. So, the changes to the torque tube and mount have paid off handsomely.

Playback reveals full spectrum sound. I will do more test cut with a lightly used stylus tonight. This test is further confirmation that the design is sound and finalized. I just need metal parts.

mischmerz

Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:01 pm

Hey .. just a short question: How much is the weight of the cutter head when it's ready? I am currently designing my own lathe and would like to have a feeling about the weights I will have to deal with.

Thanks.

Michaela

dimi751

Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi Todd

Why don't you print your cutter head in brass fill or copper fill

I have not tried this my self but I guess you can try and see if that fillament is good

I think aluminium fill is avail too

Dimi

opcode66

Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:42 pm

If it is the filament I'm thinking of, it is metal added only for look. The metal does't add significant weight or strength necessarily. I'm not sure that would help. I was printing the piston rods with too little infill. Now, I'm unable to snap them! However, all filament, metal fill or not, will melt. Metal parts won't...

Cnc, metal lathe and laser engraver will be sourced.

opcode66

Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:43 pm

It is currently between 250 and 300 grams in weight

opcode66

Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:44 pm

It is currently between 250 and 300 grams in weight

opcode66

Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:44 am

Pre-Order Sign Up

I've received 20 pre-order sign-ups already! Thank you all so much for you continued and committed interest in my work. You all inspire me to continue to go deeper down the rabbit hole. Together we all preserve this media.

If you are interested in signing up to be one of the first to purchase a Mantra Cutterhead, please use this sign up page on my site. http://www.deepgroovesmastering.com/preorder.aspx

opcode66

Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:58 am

Bladerunner 1.I.2 Test Cut 2

Some very nice test cut. I need to work on the low end forward processing of the caruso preamp boards I built. In the meantime I can simply do some corrective eq'ing in my DAW. The sound of this test cut is very good.
Bladerunner 1.I.2 Test Cut 2.mp3
Bladerunner 1.I.2 Test Cut 2.zip

Bahndahn

Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:40 pm

Holy smokes man! Congratulations! This sounds very good! No distortions, well controlled resonance–damn.

Your hard work is really paying off. It's awesome to see you arrive at this stage. Well done!

opcode66

Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:06 pm

Thank you, Bahndahn. I really appreciate the feedback. It is exhilarating to both be traveling on, as well as documenting and sharing this little journey of mine. Bahndahn, dimi751, Ciunes, Sillitoe, inspector77, Aussie0zborn, EpicenterBryan, handcut, Flozki, mossboss, Snug Music, SUNBEARS, pandapolar, jesusfwrl, and anyone else I've missed....

Your continued, committed and outspoken interest in my work is more than appreciated. You all inspire me to continue to go deeper down the rabbit hole. You all keep me from giving up and throwing in the towel when I face my greatest challenges. Thank you.

And, thank you all so much. All of you out there in Troll T.V. land. You. Yes, you. The enthusiast with zero posts. The Noob. The Shaolin Masters who read, watch, consider and simultaneously remain wordless. Together we all preserve the media that is vinyl.

EpicenterBryan

Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:57 pm

Great sounding cut there Todd!
Your time at "Head U" paid off.

Bryan

dimi751

Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:18 pm

Very good result Todd congrats !

I was like wow when I heard the sample wav file

Such crisp sound !

inspector77

Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:29 pm

Congratulations Todd you have a lot of talent and patience, well done!

opcode66

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:32 am

Wow! 25 Pre-Order Sign-Ups!

inspector77

Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:04 am

26............ :wink:

Stevie342000

Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:55 am

inspector77 wrote:26............ :wink:
Possibly 27 but I would request a less compressed song or different musical styles before I committed and then of course there is the cost?

One further question what is the dreadful grating noise? Aside from that excellent work and of course if I should commit I assume we would get a choice in colour/finish rather than that dreadful pink. Or did I miss read and the potential orders you are taking are for metal stereo cutter heads, such a long thread it's easy to loose track.

The only other issue for me is one of mounting, as it would go on my second Sugden lathe, it just needs to bolt to the bracket (carriage) centre screw mount ((it will be Imperial not metric)note to self get a screw thread gauge). I assume depth from front to back is about 50mm (just to mix it up a bit), sorry 40ish mm, just measured roughly.

I do not know how a Neumann mount works never seen one, but the back plate on the Sugden is threaded and I can swing the bracket up so it would need to be fixed from the back. The big screw in the sugden pictures is that very mounting screw.

No offence meant but as I am across the pond economically it might be better for me to opt for the metal European option, with import duties etc, it may be easier, my mind is not made up one way or the other but I would like a stereo cutter head based on a Neumann.

The only other issue I can see is that the Sugden is a fixed head system, the head is mounted rigidly and there is no system to control vertical movement other than cutting angle. Is this an issue with a stereo cutter head. Depth of cut is controlled by a second stylus (rounded) behind the cutter head, it's fixed, you can move it around one way or the other, to increase or decrease depth of cut.