Presto K8 motor trouble

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mechanicalfox

Presto K8 motor trouble

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:34 am

hello, i should start by saying i am very new to this, my goal was to get a cheap K8 and fix it up a bit,
start cutting to learn the ropes and then upgrade to a stereo lathe once i know what I'm doing. I've read a lot on here
and purchased a K8 for about 600$, it all worked the first time i used it, i was able to cut but it was very noisy and the volume
was very low, I'm getting the tubes and caps checked as well as looking into getting a new stylus, but on the second pilot test
the motor began to function erratically and now will not spin consistently, its looking like i need the motor replaced.
Any help locating a new one or any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

markrob

Re: Presto K8 motor trouble

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi,

Probably just old gummy oil. I'd flush and re-lubricate.

Mark

Jccc

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:35 pm

hello,
when i first got my Presto K8 i was having a problem with the motor as well as when i would put the cuttinghead on the platter to begin cutting the turntable would not spin. so i found out i had to bring the motor closer to the turntable tire andx everything seems to spin perfectly now.
there is a screw where you can adjust how far or close you can make the motor.

let me know if that helps out.

also for the cuttinghead producing noisey and low cuts, you might have to just change out the rubber damping material that is located inside of the cuttinghead. once i did that i was getting nice loud and clear sound.

try doing that before changing out the caps.

mechanicalfox

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks guys! The lever that turns on and off the rotation was bent causing the motor to be off kilter, the bottom was missing a nut, I unbent the lever and added the nut and it's better than ever!!

Now I need to open the cutter head to check out the rubber dampening stuff

mechanicalfox

Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Ok so the motor is perfect now, jcc when I open the cutter head all I see besides the yellow rubber is a big magnet, I'm not sure where the rubber you're referring to is, any help? Also in the process the long screw that holds in the needle was bent and broke, presumably from rust or being screwed in wrong previously, now I am missing that long screw, any idea how to replace that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jccc

Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Hello, The rubber material i am talking about is located around the area where the needle goes into.
If you carefully remove the magnet and the 2 big screws where the needle goes into you will see a small rod .Around that is a small amount of rubber that i guess keeps the needle centered. It probably hardened up over time causing the needle to not vibrate and return to the center.
When i opened mine up the rubber fell apart.
I took a small amount of Self-Fusing Silicone Rubber Tape and carefully wrapped the rod.

From there i changed out the big yellow piece of rubber with some sorbathane.
Let me know if that helps.

rsimms3

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Which head is this, a 5c?

mechanicalfox

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:41 pm

I'm insure it's the one that comes with the presto K8, I got it sounding better but still very low, I tried another amp and confirmed the issue is with the head or the stylus, I'm thinking of sending it to be repaired and getting a ruby stylus

rsimms3

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:10 pm

Yes, it's a 5c. I went out and pulled the cover off of mine. Here's the inside of mine. I have a small square of rubber on the bottom between the cover and the head, not sure what is inside because I didn't want to take the head apart. My dampening material is stuff but pliable. I looked through my tiny screws and didn't find anything small enough for the stylus holder.

Image Image

mechanicalfox

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Oh yeah, that's it. Mine did not have te black plastic stuff near the needle though , that must have been removed, just need it sounding louder