Improving Cutting of NOS blanks

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

prestok10

Improving Cutting of NOS blanks

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:00 pm

Some time ago, I posted a question about how to improve the cutting of New Old Stock blanks. Someone suggested wiping on some vegetable oil and letting it sit for a while. I tried this, letting the disc sit overnight. It works great! I used to get a lot of hiss and now its mostly gone. Tried it on some old glass-based discs and on one of those red-colored Wilcox Gay blanks where I previously got tons of hissing. No more!

emorritt

Re: Improving Cutting of NOS blanks

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:53 am

Castor oil would probably be a better material to use since that's what's in "the mix" that coats the disc.

sunkingrecords

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:49 am

Hi!

How do you clean the records after they are recorded? Or do you play it with the oil layer still on the disc?

Kind regards
I choose not to run .-

prestok10

Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:10 pm

So far I've been playing with the light coating of oil still on them. Not sure if that's good for my stylus. I put on a very light coat and wipe off most of it before I start cutting. If castor oil is in the mix, would it hurt to leave it on too long? I wouldn't want my discs to become gooey or have the lacquer dissolve on me :)

sunkingrecords

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:09 am

Maybe the records sound better because you are wet playing them? I believe that's a posibility.

Kind regards

Miguel
I choose not to run .-