BD's Mechanical Disk Recorder Build

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Gus

Re: BD's Mechanical Disk Recorder Build

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:16 am

if you need my own plugin for Audicity who creates 90 deg. out of phase sine wave just let me know

Fela Borbone

Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:08 pm

To generate sine waves with a microcontroller you just need to read a table of values in the program and load them in the port, spaced with atimer, who sets the frequency. For two sines at 90 deg, poke in one port at n index an then poke at another port at n plus offset needed for the 90 deg. For d/a conversion the infamous r-2r ladder can suffice. Other way of cotrollig frquency is manipulaing the clock. I can ptovide table of values if you need. BTW, nice project!

EpicenterBryan

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:42 pm

Bahndahn wrote:This is presumably too fine at this point, but simply put: obtaining smooth motor operation without auditory interference via the belt-to-cutting-platter is certainly possible with square wave use.
Ah, but let me make sure you are clear on this. The micro-stepping drive will be outputting what becomes closer and closer to a sine wave (current wise) as you increase the micro-stepping steps per rev resolution. So the drive is really taking care of generating the two out of phase sine wave drive current profiles. The beauty is you just send the drive digital pulses at the rate you want to spin the motor.

What the drive is really doing for you is varying the ratio of current between the coils, making a small change for each step pulse you send it... Want smoother movement? Increase the number of steps per rev on the drive. By the time you get to 50,000 steps per rev the sine wave looks as good as what your DAW can generate.
gr_FAD_LVSA06.gif
Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bahndahn

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:33 pm

EpicenterBryan wrote:Want smoother movement? Increase the number of steps per rev on the drive. By the time you get to 50,000 steps per rev the sine wave looks as good as what your DAW can generate.
Ah hah! I see I see.... Far higher resolution than the [sine wave] output I am capable of generating via my arduino uno!

Thanks for the clarification.

EpicenterBryan

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:22 pm

Fela Borbone wrote:To generate sine waves with a microcontroller you just need to read a table of values in the program and load them in the port, spaced with atimer, who sets the frequency. For two sines at 90 deg, poke in one port at n index an then poke at another port at n plus offset needed for the 90 deg. For d/a conversion the infamous r-2r ladder can suffice. Other way of cotrollig frquency is manipulaing the clock. I can ptovide table of values if you need. BTW, nice project!
Fela, you nailed it.
20 years ago, I did a similar thing to generate a sine wave from a ROM look up table - but all in hardware with no processor. Back then, it was harder to do this. I keep these boards around to remind myself about how awesome the tools and toys we have now are, and how much easier it is now to bring ideas to reality!

Below is a photo of the empty prototype board and final version of the 8 layer board (and back then 8 layers was really expensive too).
IMG_3397.JPG
This was basically a voltage controlled oscillator hybrid, with analog on the front and back end, and a state machine and ROM table look-up in the center. The state machine did several tasks, but basically read the data from the ROMs, and sent it to a 12 bit DAC. This had to operate between 0.1hz to 100khz as I recall but also had some special conditions needed about starting and stopping on the low end per the customers requirements. Basically, this was a temperature stable DC controlled wheel speed simulator for an aircraft manufacturer to test brake designs.

So my point here, is these micro-stepping drives have simple state machines built in to generate "modified sine waves" just like what you mention. Making one yourself is totally possible. Buying one is a better option if time, or the value of your time is a bigger issue.

I do truly appreciate all of your posts Fela. You seam to have more time than money though, and I do appreciate that some times re-inventing the wheel is very interesting also. What I was trying to do by steering Bennett in the other direction was to try to save him time because of his school / build schedule. But Fela, what you mentioned is totally doable!

Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EpicenterBryan

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:53 pm

Bahndahn wrote:
Ah hah! I see I see.... Far higher resolution than the [sine wave] output I am capable of generating via my arduino uno!
It depends. Your arduino can send anything you want OUT digitally. As Fela noted, you could send it to a DAC to generate the sine wave and the other one 90 degrees out of phase.

You can not send analog values directly out from an arduino. You can send PWM out, and when using an external filter, generate a voltage....

But, you can output digitally to an external DAC which can generate the analog signal you need just from your digital data in any precision you want. For a stepper, you have two phases to mess with, that's where your 90 degree stuff comes from. But you can do that too if you want.

I think you understand which direction you need to go for your project.
Go with a micro-stepping drive, send it a pulse train and it will take care of the pattern and phase stuff.
Call if you need clarification.

B

Bahndahn

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:00 am

EpicenterBryan wrote:It depends. Your arduino can send anything you want OUT digitally. As Fela noted, you could send it to a DAC to generate the sine wave and the other one 90 degrees out of phase.

You can not send analog values directly out from an arduino. You can send PWM out, and when using an external filter, generate a voltage....

But, you can output digitally to an external DAC which can generate the analog signal you need just from your digital data in any precision you want. For a stepper, you have two phases to mess with, that's where your 90 degree stuff comes from. But you can do that too if you want.
For the sake of this continuum, here is a boundary I have found according to the arduino documentation:
Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 10.44.57 AM.png
It looks like the highest trustworthy scheduling with a normal arduino yields 333333.33333333Hz. If I understand the lookup-table technique correctly, a sine wave would have many 'values' to look up per cycle, requiring a scheduling frequency accordingly high.

I may be missing something here - also I have come across techniques where people clock their arduinos at a higher frequency with an external crystal.

I guess the micro-stepping drive would require that same high frequency as it is essentially doing the same thing.

Bahndahn

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:47 am

Whipped up an oil dashpot this weekend using a glass guitar slide, a couple springs [the upper spring removed in the photo], 3d printed parts, epoxy resin, and aluminium rod.

Here it is:

dimi751

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Wow this dashpot looks great well done very neat !

Fela Borbone

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:12 pm

BD ,you are buliding a clean and nice machine!
I do truly appreciate all of your posts Fela. You seam to have more time than mon
he he,thanks,you are rigth!

Bahndahn

Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:32 am

Brief update of many little things:

Made the dashpot before, but hadn't an attachment plan set out. Spent some time working on that recently and will have photos once I get it setup.

Also, the halfed nut for pitch travel I milled needs attaching to the mobile suspension [x-axis]. The method I am working on will attach to these screws [photo], a simple spring loaded arm holding the halfed nut. Spring loaded to 'lift' it off the fixed position to quickly move it back to home position.
photo 3.JPG
I didnt previously put much care into motor spindles [pulleys for the belts], I thought: I will just 3D print them when that time comes. That didn't work so well for me when I tried it so I decided to learn the metal lathe. I made a quite heavy steel pulley for the pitch screw and the the stepper motor.
photo 2 (1).JPG
photo 4.JPG
Put together basic, untested, improvised cutterhead details using 3D printed rigid pushrods, steel [sewing needle] more flexible pushrods, nylon torque tube with 3D printed leaf/v-spring, 3dprinted stylus holder that currently is holding a carbide vinyl plotter blade etc.:
photo 5.JPG
I also filled my platter with 4 tubes of silicon caulking the other night, somthing some of my broke-ass DJ friends used to do. It truly has an effect I have found, ,my platter went for very light and 'ringing' to quite heavy and dampened.

I received the "BigEasyDriver" that is capable of 16microstep driving. I did some brief tests and deduced that I think its going to be fine as a drive, noise-wise. I am even confidently planning to mount the motor on the aluminum plate that is the base of my machine. It will be nice and compact that way. A previous thought had me planning to make a little 'motor island' that was totally decoupled from the lathe main body. If its noise, I will order a 128microstepping drive, they are inexpensive if you dig for them.

More to come!

Bahndahn

Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:02 am

Photo update:

Sillitoe

Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:45 am

Looks great Bahndahn! Are you going to anodize your whole build?

Bahndahn

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks Sillitoe!

I am thinking of anodizing all the aluminium which is everything except the 'pitch traveller' rods that are now steel, the motor pulleys, and some brass details I recently implemented. I still need to find a place to do it here in Montréal. Supposedly the engineering students at the university I study at take their parts to a place that charges them next to nothing to drop them into a batch, provided they are not picky about color. I want to keep it the natural color of aluminium.

I also bought some spray-on laquer for the steel and brass bits.

This week I will finish the build. Last week I worked from 9-5 monday to friday, this thing is coming together! This week I will finish up the details, throw together metal cutterhead details, and sand/polish the parts in prep for treatment.

dimi751

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:59 pm

Love the motor case such neat work :D

Your doing such a great work keep it up !

Bahndahn

Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:04 pm

Heres another visual update from today, steel crossbars have replaced the aluminium ones, 3/8"- 24[threads per inch] lead-screw has replaced the 3/8"-16 one. Releasable half-nut is held up to the lead-screw by a spring, it is 'lifted' by that brass bar with the aluminium knurled handle sticking up out the back. I think I will shorten the brass rod a bit!

I have been doing 9am to 5pms on this build since last week monday, and am continuing this way till its done!

Tomorrow I'm going to make a center-disk stabilizer on a metal lathe. I wanted to do it in brass but the hunk I was looking [2" dia, solid rod, 6" length] at was $65?! Steel will do!

Stay tuned!

Bahndahn

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:22 am

I'm trying my hand at precision machining on the lathe. I am really enjoying this build!

Today I worked on the aluminium rigid portion of the push-rods. From these will extend a flexible sewing needle portion. Tomorrow I will make other cutterhead details.

These pushrods thread into the springs on the drivers I am using, they are held taut with the nylon nut.

I am measuring them along the way with a micrometer, I will be weighing them tomorrow.

Bahndahn

Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:10 pm

Today I set the sewing needles into the aluminium shafts using the mill as a vertical guide.

First the aluminium portions were set up in the vice, shortened to length, center-started, and drilled with the finest drill bit I had available.
mill.JPG
Next I mixed 5-minute epoxy and placed a blob on the face of the aluminium still in vice; submerged the sewing needles and vertically positioned them by closing the chuck jaws around it, unmoved from drilling. The results look positive!
Needle glued.JPG
MainSuspension.JPG

Sillitoe

Fri May 01, 2015 11:46 am

Hi Bahndahn, clever way to insert the needle.
Looking good.

Bahndahn

Tue May 12, 2015 12:29 pm

My record cutting lathe is at the anodizing facility, so this week I went on down to the United States of America where I picked up this metal cutting lathe! I will clean this up over the next few weeks and begin experimenting with some special transducers or something!

This lathe is presumably also used by markrob mentioned in his account of cutting a new presto leadscrew.

I'm very much looking forward to cleaning this machine up!
photo (3).JPG