Mobile Pressing Plant

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

Mobile Pressing Plant

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:40 pm

Here's a new idea....

Rather like piaptk's 'Mobile Vinyl Recorders' which takes the disc cutting facility on the road to various events. Vinyl Factory in London have a mobile record pressing plant to do the same thing.

The pressing plant comes in a 40' shipping container, is delivered to your event and you can start pressing records in front of an audience.

Your audience can now buy records "hot off the press". The mobile pressing plant features an Alpha Toolex semi-automatic press.

Read about it here :
http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-news/a-mobile-vinyl-factory-will-press-live-recordings-at-christian-marclays-white-cube-show/

leethal

Re: Mobile Pressing Plant

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:10 am

As cool as this sounds, theres an air of hipster about it that I oppose.

smithadamm

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:58 am

Am totally amazed by this. And this isn't meant to be snarky at all, or to detract from what they are doing, in fact this is more meant to point out things I think are amazing about it. This isn't a t-shirt shop in a trailer, they are manufacturing mildly flammable plastics products using three phase high voltage, a boiler and, like, a million gallons of water an hour. Where do you tap into that kind of power? Where do they tap into water mains? Where do they dispose of waste water? Are they using a closed loop heating/cooling system using some kind of heated and chilled of industrial thermal liquid? I've never seen anyone doing that. How do they deal with local zoning laws? Do they have OSHA in the UK? Plenty of other logistical hurdles that are blowing my mind. Amazing.

Aussie0zborn

Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:33 pm

Don't worry - these people are professionals. I'm sure they have worked it all out.

ROLANDJAYS

Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:54 pm

it will be a fair amount of work but we have shows here in the USA like " westech" where vendors bring huge equipment and set it up to demo live .
so its not impossible....

opcode66

Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:57 pm

I'm just wondering how it was done such that it is legal to setup and operate just anywhere.

Plants in the US need to have proper zoning and permits just to operate. I can't fathom how this is done such that you can setup anywhere and not be violating local ordinances.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Aussie0zborn

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:37 pm

I'm guessing they are using an electric boiler which is small, compact, noiseless and odorless so there is no smoke, no nothing emanating from the boiler to start with.

Hydraulic power pack for one press would be real small. Perhaps a water chiller for cooling water. If all the auxiliary gear is concealed in one half of the container then it's out of view.

In any case, as the article says it is already booked on its first event. Should be interesting to see what response it gets.

Sillitoe

Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Christian Marclay is a big time artist and White Cube is a big time gallery home to the likes of Damien Hirst.
Governments easily accommodate such people and these people spare no expense at doing things right.
A mobile pressing plant is relatively minor compared to escapades of artists like Christo and Jeanne-Claude wrapping the Reichstag etc...
Very cool.

piaptk

Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:23 pm

That is sweeeeet.... I thought WE were expensive... I don't even want to know what it costs to get that thing around!
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

flozki

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:56 pm

I am doing the Master Cutting Part at the Show.
so an AM44 with AM32 Parts and VC200 Amp is there to do the cuts.

The Pressing Container is working.locks very nice.
Records are not flat yet. but they should have all setup and running next friday.

some pictures will follow.

opening was today and we did the first Master.

untitledthe

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:27 pm

Aussie0zborn

Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:35 pm

No, not a self-built press. Read my original post.

untitledthe

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:45 am

Oh thanks AussieOzBorn, my bad.