Sillitoe Lathes

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Re: SP10MKII Lathe

Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:37 pm

How many divisions of the turntable are you working with? Most Pitch computers don't make more than 16 adjustments to pitch per rotation. Otherwise, you will get noise just form the constant changing of speed. Just trying to provide helpful/useful info. If you know already, awesome.

Great work.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Sillitoe

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:11 pm

Cool, cheers for the info, I appreciate the input Opcode.
I don't really know yet, I guess I'm kind of blindly engineering it backwards and learning a as I go haha.

I'll post more soon.

Cheers mate.

opcode66

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:17 pm

I've done work in this area. I have a lot of info I could share if you like.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

Sillitoe

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:29 pm

That would be very helpful indeed!

opcode66

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:44 pm

Email me. Or call me.

Sillitoe

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:00 pm

Email sent via deep grooves site, any info would be great, let me know if you don't receive it, cheers.

tragwag

Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:04 pm

this is super inspiring both in technology and design, great work.
keep us posted!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Sillitoe

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:10 am

Thanks for the kind words Tragwag :D

Ejemmons, your pitch controler looks great!

Opcode has been a true gentleman and is sending me helpful hints, thanks mate.

I've decided to remove the esc from the system and have bought a couple of BLDC commutator boards so I can properly implement feedback via hall sensors and/or quadrature encoder, it will also enable the reversing of the motor from within ableton and a few other useful things.
The esc I've been using is built to drive rc airplane motors and isn't intended for precision positioning at slow speeds so it's not the best choice for a good pitch system.

I still like the current build for a simple and easy way to cut fixed (somewhat variable) pitch on multiple lathes, I can just draw envelopes for lead in, program material, track spacing and lead out grooves and then press play.

I'll probably be waiting for the commutator boards for a little while but I'll keep you updated on the pitch controller as it slowly moves along haha.

In the meantime I'm working on my third lathe build and thinking about a depth system.

The pic below shows the platform for the SP10, it will have thick felt on the top that will be compressed under the turntable when five M5 threaded rods are fastened from the TT to the lowest base plate.
This compression of the felt allows for accurate levelling of the turntable relative to the arm. I used this method on my first lathe and it is very solid.
The threaded rods aren't shown in the pic...
Sillitoe SP10MKII Portable lathe 2015.jpg
Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

opcode66

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:03 pm

This is great! Fast progress too!

Sillitoe

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:49 am

Sillitoe Second Portable Lathe.jpg
Sillitoe Second Portable Lathe bearing and servo.jpg
Sillitoe Second Portable Lathe Suspension Box.jpg
Here's an update on some of my work, I've finished this arm and most of suspension box.
The suspension box is packed pretty full with a servo, an air dashpot, a hard drive bearing, a spring on a turnbuckle and a mechanism to lift and lower the head.

I'll use the servo for depth control, it's a precision digital one that gives position feedback and has a resolution of 0.29 degrees.
I need to make a bar that will attach the head to the bearing and link the lift/lower mechanism and navigate the servo, spring and dashpot.
The plinth is gessoed and ready for painting.

I haven't got the brushless motor commutator boards yet but the pitch depth system has been progressing.
I'm learning how to create max for live patches. It's a great and intuitive program that uses graphical program elements instead of lines of code.
You can unlock other patches and use them (or parts of them) as a basis to build or add to your own.
I'm able to scale down the changes in output data so the motor speed changes won't be so fast as to be audible.
I need to start cutting so I can observe the grooves, still lots to do but it's all slowly becoming clearer.

I've aslo changed the motor belt and pulleys so my base pitch is around 250LPI, not ideal but fine for me for now.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dimi751

Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:00 pm

That's look far can awesome! Great work here you put a lot of passion in your work great Job !!

Sillitoe

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Haha, thanks Dimi!

Sillitoe

Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:35 am

Update on my pitch control.
I'm using a stock Max for Live device called Envelope Follower that enables mapping of track volume envelopes to control other parameters. (This is what is shown in my last video).

I have expanded this via a duplicate audio track with an Ableton Utility device with the width set to 200% giving me left and right channel difference.
I have placed another Envelope Follower on this track and can map it to control the Gain of the first Envelope Follower.
(The difference signal from the Utility device will also be used to control my depth servo).

The most powerful thing about the Envelope Follower is the ability to scale, delay and adjust the rise and fall of the envelope.

Add another track with eq to account for bass, map it etc.

I'm not dealing with TT rotations yet but that should be ok.

Base pitch can be set by the Scale section of the last Envelope follower.
I can also use a control signal to increase the scale for lead on and lead out grooves.

At the moment this is all just academic as I'm not yet cutting but I think I'll get there... The tweak-ability of each parameter makes me think that it shouldn't be tooo hard.

Now I know lots of you old school guys and gals won't like this but I've also implemented an electric landing gear mechanism from an Rc plane for automatic head drop/lift. :D

I'll make some videos when my head arrives.
Cheers.

dimi751

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:04 pm

Nice work Sillitoe ! Looking forward to the videos

Bahndahn

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:33 am

Cool stuff Sillitoe!

RC airplane landing gear system is a fine idea. I want to see that in action. Please post a video when you get around to it.

I don't know your level of proficiency in max/MSP, but if you ever hit a roadblock and want a hand realizing an idea, I am happy to help!

Sillitoe

Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks Bahndahn.
Yeah I'll post a big video showing my whole system sometime, (head's arriving soon and still contemplating amps).
I'm currently working on my 4th lathe build in the style of a Neumann. I'll post pics here later this week... Too many ideas not enough time. :D

Yes MAX is amazing, so many possibilities! I'll probably hit you up for some advice in the future. Cheers!

Bahndahn

Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:55 pm

Your design is very clean! Nice work.

Where did you get those nice alloy adjustable slide rails, two of which are featured on the lathe made from a saw arm, vertically and laterally purposed? It looks like a product of some sort but I cant think of what that would be called. Where did you source that awesome part?! It makes my adjustment system seem like outrageous overkill :P

Bahndahn

Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:12 pm

Ahhhh dovetail was the concept I was missing.. got it!

Sillitoe

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks Bahndahn.

In the words of a great man "# Secret Knowledge", "Imitation is immenent" ...or something like that. :lol:

opcode66

Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:24 pm

In the words of Nike

Just do it!