Souri Vinylrecorder for sale

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

DanRooney

Souri Vinylrecorder for sale

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:57 am

Hey people,
I'm selling my souri vinyl cutter. I bought it 10 years ago and took it back to Sydney, Australia. Thought I'd put it up here first to see if there was any interest.

The machine has been used on and off over the 10 years and the cutter head has probably only had 300 records cut through it. Everything is in good condition and the cutter head was always stored in an air tight container when not in use.

Looking to sell the whole thing as one, comes with 300 odd blanks and 4 diamond stylus. Check out the inventory below.

serious offers please
Cheers
Dan

VINYL CUTTER INVINTORY

1 2 channel mixer (for cutter
2 Alesis RA500 2 channel amplifier
3 Optomiser
4 Level meter
5 Main unit (for cutter)
6 3 x heating lights
7 cutter head
8 microscope with cutter head stand
9 infra red thermo meter
10 cutting stylus cleaner
11 3 x cutting stylus (blunt)
12 1 x cutting stylus (not sharp but not blunt)
13 250 x empty vinyl sleeves
14 30 x 7’’ 2mm thick blank vinyl (black)
15 300 x 12’’ 2mm thick blank discs (black)
16 15 x 12’’ 1mm thick blank discs (clear)

There is also a technics SL 1200mk2 turntable I'm willing to throw in if the price is right

lewislastella

Re: Souri Vinylrecorder for sale

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:17 am

I sent a private message to you :-)

Self-lather

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:29 pm

How much?

Thanks

-Thomas

Self-lather

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:28 pm

Meant to send that as a pm. Sending now.

DanRooney

Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:13 am

Looking for AUD $8,000 for the lot
Cheers

Self-lather

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:55 am

Its tempting, but the lack of support from Souri on these used units makes me think twice :/

opcode66

Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:57 pm

That is old thinking. Plenty of folks can supply you with styli and blanks. And, folks like myself or others can repair this gear. My stereo Cutterhead will be adapted to mount on the Vinyl Recorder. Go for it if you can afford it!

Fuck Souri and his bullshit business practices.

Hey Souri! We all know you read the board. Happy Easter.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

dimi751

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:47 pm

So even if you buy this equipment second hand why would you need souri support ? Like Todd said plenty people selling diamond even if vinylrecorder break it can be fixed by yourself or third party's.

I'm sick of seeing stupid comments torwards souri about support and his way of business dealings to me this is an excuse to talk negative about him. And sorry Todd not try to pick fight with you but don't say that stuff on this forum it's not cool. I'm shure if souri said this about you on this forum you will be angry.

Also if it was not for people like Todd,flozki,souri etc vinyl would be dead.

Like Steven mentioned in his older posts let's stick to the topics of vinyl and make this a fun place and if you can't stand anyone keep it to your self.

I love this website

Dimi

opcode66

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:12 pm

I hear you. And I understand what you're saying. However I did not create a culture of fear within the vinyl recorder community. It is not a great business practice to say the least. I'm certain that as long as Souri continues to cut people off, there will be comments made here about it. In its own way, this affecrs the future of vinyl. A lot of folks find him easily when they are just starting to search for gear. A number of folks have been derailed and given up strictly based on dealings with him.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

MEGAMIKE

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:56 am

and who are the folks?

Stevie342000

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:30 pm

MEGAMIKE wrote:and who are the folks?

Me for one after a time he refused to deal with me any more and stopped communication. When you consider the investment and we are not all made of money, you have a certain number of questions to ask which is to be expected given the investment.

I was however aware of his attitude problem and his sound business sense model in not supporting equipment he had not sold directly.

To be fair the situation has changed recently and his sound business model in not supporting second hand gear should now be viewed with a pinch of salt. As there are many more people now who can offer the support, so if you got the money go ahead and buy a second hand machine.

As long as it has all its parts and a set of instructions then you should be fine, of course study various threads here and give it a go.

As far as I can tell this business model of Souri's is what is known as shooting yourself in the foot. I never understood why he would not support second hand machines, surely it would make sound business sense to sell the training course for those that bought a second hand machine. Unless of course it has to do with choosing suitable people who he had not vetted purchase his machine in the first place.

Given my experience I would not even touch a second hand machine, would rather go through the process of prototyping my own machine.

MEGAMIKE

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:45 pm

hi..
did you go?

Stevie342000

Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:33 pm

MEGAMIKE wrote:hi..
did you go?

No he gave me the bum's rush and told me to get lost. Can not be bothered with the silly man, life's too short to be held to ransom over parts, service or whether you are deemed fit enough to have a machine in the first place.

I obviously knew too little at the time and wanted to know too much, in which he was not willing to share very much information. Given that anyone who buys one of these is limited to his training, his parts or he cuts you off.

You would really want to know something about the kit before you commit, after all this is not chicken feed money that you are paying.

MEGAMIKE

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:54 pm

at the time did you want to go?

Stevie342000

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:19 am

MEGAMIKE wrote:at the time did you want to go?
There's a difference between wanting to go and be able to afford to go to actually buy the kit. The logistics may have been mentioned early on in brief but no firm dates or anything of substance or further detailed information on what you were getting was given in detail. The assumption was that you knew what all the different pieces of kit were and how they worked.

Overall you might have wanted one but the lack of information and the not insubstantial cost, the lack of support if you did not buy supplies from him, should tell anyone with any sense keep away.

Good it might be but there is little room for improvement but you are tied into one supplier, this was never the situation in the old days and nor should it be now.

It's not a good business model, it makes the seller look selfish or a control freak. If there is no compatibility with the other manufacturers of styli for example then it's a dead end product.

You had to buy the basic model to start with you're not allowed to buy anything more or less. Unless of course he thinks that you are competent enough to warrant it at the outset or on visit. This is all some time ago so my memory might be a little faded on this but I really do not regret that he decided not to sell to me whether I was able to afford it at the time or not.

If I had bought from him I would more than likely not now be the proud owner of two Connoisseur (AR Sugden) variable groove cutting lathes. So for me it worked out in the end...after all there are no solid state electronics in the Sugden cutting lathe to go obsolete or that need replacing. It has two electrical components a hand wound motor (designed by Sugden circa 1950) and the moving coil cutter head, along with a smattering of capacitors for motor run, a boost resistor (gives extra torque) and a notch filter to reduce the head resonance at 4.5 KHz.

Stevie342000

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:18 am

At the end of the day it is up to the individual if they wish to buy a Vinylrecorder.

But given that many people on this forum are developing cutter heads both mono and stereo, or making replica heads, or parts as well as people developing lathes or control equipment for Neumann etc.

Given that this mostly being done openly and honestly, what is the point in dealing with someone who is difficult to deal with to say the least. Not forgetting to mention that their equipment has been around for a number of years.

It is my humble opinion starting to look dated from a technological point of view, many of the components may be reaching the end of their production lifetime, which means no spare parts unless you are clever enough to source replacements. A lot has changed in the technical field since the VinylRecorder was developed, it is a good product but for me it is the case of the support and information that is the issue.

The Vinylrecorder is a turnkey product but it does not come with turnkey support if you buy a second hand model and may come with limited support after sales.

I do not actually own one these are just my conclusions from dealings with Souri and from what I have gleaned from various sources.

Finally there are new products just around the corner which hopefully full support with be offered, simplicity of operation and from I have seen so far, more reasonably priced.

drdub

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:10 am

Finally there are new products just around the corner
there have been new products "around the corner" for years.
sorry, but souris cutter has been around for 15 years and there IS support!
...and vinyl recording gear "reaching the end of it's livespan" ? - haha, you never dealt with a neumann lathe...
all the criticism comes form people not owning one. i understnd that some people are pissed because they
are not treated the way they wish, but souri has made a great and funtioning cutter, and if you don't like the way he is running business, just wait.
"there's new products just around the corner"

sorry, for the rant.

cheers mex
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

MEGAMIKE

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:07 am

yes this HATE has to stop..
from "folks" to "sources" to conclusions ,whats next the girl next door?? well she better be good looking coz iam done with this bullshit..

and todd bieng compared to flo and souri????? WHAT A JOKE ...the biggest of this year so far....

sorry stevie but u didnot "deal" nothing and sorry to post on this thread,i was not going to post .. ,but i did not like todds choice of nasty words ..

biglove to vinylrecorder

megalove

Stevie342000

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:40 am

MEGAMIKE wrote:yes this HATE has to stop..
from "folks" to "sources" to conclusions ,whats next the girl next door?? well she better be good looking coz iam done with this bullshit..

and todd bieng compared to flo and souri????? WHAT A JOKE ...the biggest of this year so far....

sorry stevie but u didnot "deal" nothing and sorry to post on this thread,i was not going to post .. ,but i did not like todds choice of nasty words ..

biglove to vinylrecorder

megalove
It does not mean that this is a good product, it means the person you have to deal with is an awkward git and his business model could be better.

At the end of the day he does not support a machine if you bought it off him direct.

I agree this hate has to stop but then that is a strong word to use, in my case yes I got nothing but then even if I could have afforded his equipment it does not change the matter that you would require more information before parting with your readies.

Afraid you lost the moral high ground on "this hate has to stop" the moment you opened your mouth and commented on others; as well as using language that does nothing to elevate your status. So your done good for .....me too.

Anyone who buys a second hand machine can expect no support from Souri Fact however there are others who can supply you with the cutting styli and blanks.

So take your choice and as for me being annoyed because I did not get one, nothing could be further away from the truth. I am glad I did not get one, as I managed to tag two cutting lathes which I am more than happy with.

And the Name is Steve.... Stevie is my user name tag...not my actual name, said it often enough....have a nice day.

JP_

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:01 pm

Most negative statements regarding the VR and its manufacturer is simply pure jealousy. :wink:
Who else had build a new and complete lathe and the most important; a fully working cutting head (incl. very effective feedback circuit)? No one around as far as I know...
Respect to those who deserve the respect. Don't let you fool from some internet hypes.