How to do RIAA encoding with software

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Ben

How to do RIAA encoding with software

Sun May 24, 2015 12:56 pm

Hello Guys,
I own the VinylRecorder
I have heard people doing RIAA eq with plug-ins.... it seems very interesting, like the one Todd designed (drcuts)

I just wonder, how does that works....where you put that plug-ins and how do you use it?
You put the RIAA at the end of the plug-ins chains?

I'd love to test it and bypass the main unit RIAA....just to see the difference and experiement....I just don't have a clue of how it needs to be done.

Cheers
Ben

studiorp

Re: How to do RIAA encoding with software

Sun May 24, 2015 2:44 pm

I had lost a lot of my time some months ago about these plugins, but for me is better a simple passive circuit to apply to an active signal audio chain.
Sorry , but analog sound is another thing than a computer. This is my idea...
Cheers.

Gus

Sun May 24, 2015 8:18 pm

If you have a hardware RIAA do not disable it
i'm owner of a Chinese passive RIAA and is 1000 times better than a software plugins

But if you want to experiment download the audacity freeware editor import a wav file open the eq plugin load the preset RIAA as invert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Reierson

Sun May 24, 2015 10:28 pm

Waves has it built in to one of their EQs. I think its the Q10. You have to dig through the presets. Don't remember exactly where but I found it once.
Greg Reierson
http://www.RareFormMastering.com
VMS70 :: SAL74B :: SX74

Ben

Mon May 25, 2015 2:51 am

Thank you very much guys for your help...

And how would you use it?
At the end of the plug-in chains?

Thanks again
Ben

studiorp

Mon May 25, 2015 3:08 am

Normally you can insert the inverted riaa where you want, but I prefer insert it after the out of playing source ( cd, computer, etc. ).

markrob

Mon May 25, 2015 9:13 am

Ben wrote:Hello Guys,
I own the VinylRecorder
I have heard people doing RIAA eq with plug-ins.... it seems very interesting, like the one Todd designed (drcuts)

I just wonder, how does that works....where you put that plug-ins and how do you use it?
You put the RIAA at the end of the plug-ins chains?

I'd love to test it and bypass the main unit RIAA....just to see the difference and experiement....I just don't have a clue of how it needs to be done.

Cheers
Ben
Hi,

If you PM me with your email, I can send you the VST plugin I designed. If you are already in the digital realm, there is no good reason to use an analog network. If you are analog all the way through, then you would naturally use an analog implementation. Using a graphic EQ is ok to experiment with, but it does not have the same gain and phase response as a properly designed digital filter that matches the analog filter response. The plugin would be the last device in your chain right at the output bus.

Mark

sunkingrecords

Wed May 27, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi!

What I find is that using the RIAA eq in a plugin lowers a lot the available output level (as it has to increase a lot the high frequencies and you want to avoid clippng the audio). So the the power amp has to have a lot of gain to recover from that loss.
I never used the Analog way, because my machine doesn't have it implemented, so maybe it is the same thing?

Kind regards
I choose not to run .-

markrob

Wed May 27, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi,

As long as your audio interface can output a signal at 0dBFS that will drive the power amp to full power, you should be fine. You would have the same issue with an analog implementation. You can get back average level by using some limiting after the plugin since the high frequency peaks are so pronounced given the boost applied.

Mark