DIY plating tank questions

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

leethal

DIY plating tank questions

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:53 pm

g'day gents, Im attempting to build a small tank to form stampers for my 7" press. I know that the construction will be vastly different from the standard home electroplating set ups I've found online. My understanding is that electroplating is like making and omelette, while electroforming is like baking a souffle (pardon my chef analogy). I have googled relentlessly for a diagram and havent really had much luck regarding finer details of do's and dont's. So I would like to ask the people that know best. I might add that I have searched troll threads for hours and whilst I have quite a lot of good info printed off I still need definative answers to key points.

To begin learning the black magic I intend to plate in one tank only. Using the all day/night method that Chris mentioned in a thread. My whole approach in the shed is to press my own punk bands onto vinyl, so time, patience, and fierce determination is my bank balance. I have looked into studying plating via college course here in Brisbane but have not found a course that is not an engineering degree. Perhaps I'll ask local chroming shops to let me do work experience for free.

1. Does the heating element have to be plastic coated to avoid solution spoilage/element damage, or can stainless steel elements be used? I have a ss element from a dishwasher that I'd like to use (perhaps teflon coat it).

2. For a basic tank of approx 30 litres no warmer than 40 degrees Celsius, will I still need a 2nd filtration tank? Or can I simply recirculate the bath solution through a 1 micron filter and direct it back onto the face of the substrate?

3. Is titanium essential for holding nickel anodes? If so, why?

Thanks in advance
Lee

Jim

Re: DIY plating tank questions

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:01 am

To answer your questions:

1 The best heating source is a quartz emersion heater. You can find them online, not terribly expensive.

2 You only need one tank.

3 You need titanium anode baskets.

Jim

leethal

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:17 pm

Thank you Jim for the linear answers, much appreciated. But for the great unwashed that read this I would ask others for further discussion. Let's learn the 'whys' in better detail please.

leethal

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:49 am

I have located a plating rectifier within my price range, but I'd just like to run it past you fellas first for opinions.

Its a Chinese made unit, single phase 240V 50Hz, 0-12V 0-100A 1.2KW, switching mode, air cooled, -20-40oC operating temp, -30-65oC ambient temp, relative humidity 0-85%, AU$685 delivered.

For an entry level plating rectifier Im hoping this will meet my needs. Any objections?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mossboss

Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:38 am

Its OK but for a few extra $$ get the 200A unit it will be a better deal as you can use it later for real
Cheers
Chris

leethal

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Awesome, I'll do that

mossboss

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:31 am

By the way make sure it has the ability to ramp up current without you been there
It needs to go from say 2 volts to 12+
There are Chinese units that do that
If it is time alone you have to be there to ramp it up
Not that much more in terms of $$
If they are looking to scam you as you are asking for something extra ask them to give you a potentiometer, for manual control, which you can place a really slow tiny motor which will ramp up the voltage according to the times required, based on your bath, as well as the little plc or whatever control that is there
Cheers
Chris

leethal

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:11 am

Bugger, I just paid for it before coming here to boast....I'll find out about the timer/volt control... but I dont mind taking the path less travelled (ie modify it to suit my needs). Gotta say I'm pretty excited about learning the plate, cant find a study course that isnt an engineering degree, but I have every word you guys have typed in folders beside my bed as well as forming/plating manuals I've downloaded. I read them almost daily, I know that book smarts dont mean shit when youre up to ya wallet in it...but I dont get this kinda buzz from cooking anymore.

Already got my chemical/glassware order highlighted in the Labtek catalogue (minus nickel sulfamate) for next month when I've saved every cent. This year I've been living on 2 minute noodles and goon, but the heart rules and everything else is along for the ride.

mossboss

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:03 am

Chef living on noodles Ha that's a new one
Well no big dramas really, the basic unit can be reprogrammed by them of course they will do it for a small fee now I suppose
Don't stress
By the way, bugger means jack to most people here, I am with you though Ha Ha
Cheers
Chris

leethal

Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:00 am

Lucky timing from you Chris....they've agreed to install an 8-preset timer control for no extra charge.

cheers to you, boss man

mossboss

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:34 pm

Bugger me dead He he
cheers
Chris