A newbie is born ...

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mischmerz

A newbie is born ...

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:24 pm

.. and is waiving hello. My name is Michaela, I am an IT security engineer by day and restoring, playing and adjusting my beloved vintage jukeboxes by night. I currently own a 1937 Wurlitzer Type 24 (78rpm) and a mid-fifties AMI G 80 (45rpmn) both now in decent playing condition. The last 78rpm in North-America was released before I was born and though I love the old tunes, I am getting on my husbands nerves playing vintage swing and rock'n roll all the time. In other words: My Wurlitzer needs food.

So I started my project "lathe". And I am happy to report that after about 100 or so CDs shredded, I was finally able to get acceptable imprints on to polycarbonate media. Though it still is a bit hit&run - because I don't have the right styli (using original play needles from my wind-up gramophone), my cutting arm weight and balance is bizarre and I think it is not the best way to attach a Presto cutter head to a radial cutting arm (Wilcox Gay Recordio). But these are my first baby steps and I already found out that embossed grooves may be too shallow for my jukebox to work with. It can play the records ok, but it just doesn't provide enough traction to allow the tonearm to push and trip the end of play mechanics.

I am now starting to build my own linear cutting mechanics. I was planning to use a lead screw driven by a stepper. I am looking for suggestions where I might get a complete linear sled with lead screw as I don't feel comfortable enough to built it from scratch.

Oh .. whoever might be interested: If wrote a blog with those first experiences. Even contains a short video.

http://blog.michaelamerz.com/wordpress/cutting-records/

Happy to be here.

Michaela

chaosbc

Re: A newbie is born ...

Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:34 pm

Your lathe already sounds good it seems.
keep going on with this nice work !
Maybe you should try with an appropriate stylus (I know you can find some for embossing on ebay).
Also Have you tried heating the record with a lamp?
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49941863@N04/sets/72157632396669506/

mischmerz

Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:01 pm

Hey - thanks for your answer. Yes, I am experimenting with heating up the PC. But embossing will most likely not solve my main problem. I need more 'grip' so that the jukebox tone arm has enough traction to trip the end of record mechanism. So - it looks as if I have to get into cutting. I have a metal cutting stylus that cuts into PC but with terrible noise. I tried to cut into old vinyl records and it seem to work better.

So - i was wondering: Given the fact that I am currently only interested in 78rpm wide groove cutting - what would be the easiest way to pursuit? What material would you suggest? PVC, PC or pressed vinyl? Anything else? I don't want to cut lacquers as they are simply to expensive. What kind of stylus? Again: I need a groove that offers enough grip to allow the jukebox's tonearm to allow it to push against and trip the end of recording mechanism.

Thanks for all help and insides.

Michaela

socialroots

Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:50 am

Nice results! i like the mod you did to the recordio,looks like a poormans presto k8, i like the minimalist look to it as well.
very cool,
Patrick

mischmerz

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks Patrick. Though the motor is a bit weak. But it works ok for imprinting. I am going to try cutting as well, not sure if it works though. Hope you admired my counter wights :)

Michaela