Budget cutter 2.0

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

CHAPPERS

Budget cutter 2.0

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:14 pm

Picked up $60 of T6 aluminum scraps (Including plate). $10 of bolts/springs. $15 pillow bearing. $52 for XY precision locking microscope stages on Ebay.
A few hours in the workshop and this happened! Total $137 to build the arm. It has a locking tilt adjustment to set the rake angle of the stylus and the stages allow for precise alignment - on centre, and exact depth of cut.

It's pretty primitive, but it's built like a Russian tank, so I'm not at all concerned about any movement while recording.
The whole project so far - head, armature, CNC linear stage and turntable, nuts and bolts, has cost me $360 - quite pleased with that.
Still lots of little details to iron out before testing, but starting to look purposeful at least!

I think it might work, what do you guys think?

As always, thanks for the inspiration Trolls.

Rock on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ROLANDJAYS

Re: Budget cutter 2.0

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:52 pm

Is there a suspension holding the head ?

CHAPPERS

Re: Budget cutter 2.0

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:27 pm

Not as yet, still figuring that out, but I'll certainly build the head suspension before trashing any sapphires!