The Inkjet Printer Record Cutter (Embosser) Lathe Project

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

LHUPA

The Inkjet Printer Record Cutter (Embosser) Lathe Project

Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:59 am

So, since my youth, I have a passion for vinyl records especially all of the technology itself as the manufacturing process! I had always wanted to build a record engraving machine as ones used in recording studios!... Then, several "YouTubers" had experienced a myriad of DIY record cutting lathes from hand-held ("can opener like") to sofisticated hand made ones, an idea came in mind about five years ago: a recording lathe made from unusual materials as inkjet printers (that carry the cutter head), HDD's i-e "hard disk drives" used as a cutting head that convert signal to mechanical energy to drive an arm (the HDD reading arm) equipped with a cutting (or embossing) stylus to evenly cut or emboss "records" on old CD's/DVD's or CD tower protectives (usually clear and cuttable on both sides as a conventional two sided record, barbecue parts and other miscelenous parts taken from washing machines, clothes dryers and so on!... The project experienced until today, was built in 3 different versions with 3 different HP (Hewlett-Packard)* inkjet printers with average success! HP* has the best suitable inkjet printers (all Win 98* ones are the best) to use on that project! I grab all inkjet printers possible of that make for my record cutter projects. But, the recent one is built on an Appolo* inkjet printer that uses the HP* technology and this one made up possible to assemble gear box motor to drive the cutter head to the printer while the three others were more difficult (or techy) to built a bracket to mount it on it. The actual project was shelved about 4 years ago until this summer! So, I had re-begun to experiment on it and all goes on successfully! As a trouble appears, I search to fix it at the time and this will make (I think) the success of my project! The finished project will give "totem-like" standalone "industrial" design record cutting/embossing machine with the record playing and cutting (embossing) possibilities on the same apparatus! I'm truly conscient that an experimentation and not a Professional project nor a Scully* or Neumann*!... :) To share my idea, I will add some pictures of my project!

As soon as possible my project advances, I will share it with all enthusiasts of that forum!...

New! You can now download the whole Flickr Album "LHUPATECH: View Of The Inkjet Printer Record Cutting (Embossing) Lathe Project" (Zipped Folder - 120 Photos) of the project and share it with your friends and all cutting lathes enthusiasts you want by using the download link below!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/136894875@N08/0ay4CD

Have fun!

Thanks for viewing!

LHUPA

*Trademarks or service marks owned by their respective owners

tape

Re: The Inkjet Printer Record Cutter (Embosser) Lathe Projec

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:09 am

sounds great!

do you have some pictures of the machine?

chaosbc

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:37 am

Hi Tape,
I discovered your project in youtube.
Great work and a lot of ideas.
Keep on rockin' !
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49941863@N04/sets/72157632396669506/

LHUPA

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:32 pm

tape wrote:sounds great!

do you have some pictures of the machine?
Unfortunately, since I made up that topic, I tried to post unsuccessfully photos of my work and my camera didn't work on the USB transfer! So I will post pictures of my work at this time if I can! As I said, my camera is broken in the USB port and it works intermittantly! It takes a "year" to transfer photos or videos from it! :) As the project will advance, I will also post videos of it on that forum (if it ever possible) and/or on YouTube!

Thanks for your interest in my project!

Regards,

LHUPA
Last edited by LHUPA on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LHUPA

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:38 pm

chaosbc wrote:Hi Tape,
I discovered your project in youtube.
Great work and a lot of ideas.
Keep on rockin' !
Thanks a lot for your interest in my project! The videos of the poroject that you've seen on YouTube feature the three previous versions of the project that they're shelved at this moment! The current version mentioned on the present topic, features an Apollo* inkjet printer that uses the HP* technology that made up possible the assembly of the gear box motor more easily than the three previous versions! That's why I preferred to skip on that printer to switch my project on it! The current version of the project has never been videotaped nor pictured because I preferred to make sure of the success of the project before posting anything of it on YouTube and/or that forum! For inspiration and knowledge about reasons, the current version hes been either shelved since 4 years ago! I decided to re-visit the project from this summer!... The previous ones seen on YouTube, assembly issues came on while building them and forced me to shelve them until finding solutions to problems occured! Stay tuned! Pictures and videos will be available on that forum and/or on YouTube as soon as possible my project will advance!

Regards,

LHUPA

* Trademarks or service marks owned by their respective owners

LHUPA

Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:02 am

Tone Arm Side View Of The Lathe.JPG
BSR Turntable View Of The Inkjet Printer Cutting-Embossing Lathe #1.JPG
Perspective View Of The Lathe Cutting (Embossing) A Record.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:21 pm

LHUPA sent me a packet of 120 photos of the project. I uploaded it for him, to the Lathe Trolls "big file" cabinet.

If you click this link you might get a security warning, because it's a zip file.

You shouldn't be downloading stuff anyway unless you have virus protection on your computer. As far as I can tell, this zip file is fine. Caveat Emptor.

LHUPA's Project, .zip of photos