misleading & fraudulent "pro audio gear"

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

recordboy

misleading & fraudulent "pro audio gear"

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:23 am

So some (in Latin) shower is advertising on ebay a edison voicewriter in PRO AUDIO GEAR and claiming it a "cutter" attempting to lure in stupid "hipsters". which is a gas in its own right. Bids up over 120$ now XD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311536847034?redirect=mobile
Cheers,
recordboy

recordboy

Re: misleading & fraudulent "pro audio gear"

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:41 pm

OMG :shock: some fool paid 261$ for this $50 item. I guess if you can trip a fool into getting the "undercoat" package by falsely representing it as "PRO" suckers will pay.
slick "marketing" to hipsters who ain't so hip XD

I'm partly offened & amazed that ebay allowed this.
Cheers,
recordboy

Aussie0zborn

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:57 am

I'm not surprised that EBay allowed this. eBay is not your friend.

I doubt is was a consumer product so if not pro audio what category would you suggest it should have been in?

Some sellers suck, some are clueless - what can you do?

recordboy

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:58 pm

I for SURE do know ebay is no friend indeed.

i couldn't "flag" it because i have a strike against me for not paying ebay a $20 sellers fee for something that never sold nor that i got money for. it was a $200 item which if sold was to give them $20, yet the buyer pulled.

makes no sense why i couldnt flag a fraud XD
Where is the logic there???

I for one will never sell upon ebay ever again.

ebay is a joke, yet what alternatives are there on the net? Not many sadly & most who sell do it upon ebay.

I hope the buyer files a "not as listed" suit & getz their money back & gets to keep the item.

i mean those things are "cute" yet do not work well at allll....
Cheers,
recordboy

rsimms3

Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:26 pm

eBay is like Fight Club, there are rules. If you know the rules, then you won't have any problems.

1. Caveat emptor

2. Know the timelines set forth by eBay and PayPal. If you sell something and don't get paid, take it up with eBay through a nonpaying bidder claim. Once the process has run it's course and the buyer hasn't paid, you get your money back on the sale.

3. If you are selling, describe the item as best you can and as honestly as you can. It doesn't matter if you take returns or not, if you misrepresent an item you will take it back or you'll lose out on the money AND the item by refusing a return.

4. As a buyer you have six (6) months now to contest a purchase for an item not as described. That's an insane amount of time for someone to come back on a transaction. This happened with the split between PayPal and eBay. So, if you contest an item through PayPal, they have to go through eBay who goes after the seller. It's best to go through eBay first because their timelines for contesting a transaction are shorter. Also, PayPal doesn't give 2 squats about your feedback rating so if that is in jeopardy, deal with eBay first.

5. ALWAYS pay with PayPal and check out through eBay. eBay is starting to allow other electronic payments, but with PayPal you have 2 levels of recourse. You can contest a transaction through PayPal if you purchased something through eBay and if you used a credit card through PayPal, you can initiate a chargeback through your credit card company (here in the U.S. anyway, not sure on the laws/rules in other countries).

6. If you buy something with a scant description, you don't ask questions, buy it, and are not satisfied you are SOL. If it's not in the description and you didn't ask before purchase, most of the time you'll lose your case with eBay. You have to prove you received an item not as described. If the listing is "Used 6N record lathe" with nothing else, you buy it, you can't send it back if the motor is seized when you get it.

7. Tracking and insurance. If you didn't buy tracking, then you will never win a claim as a seller if the buyer says it wasn't received. Also, anything over $250 in value must have insurance AND signature confirmation. Again, if you don't buy those extras you can forget about winning against a buyer who claims the item never arrived.

I've had my fair share of bad transactions, but if you know the rules on what you can/can't/shouldn't do eBay is a great place to shop. I've bought lots of lathe related items on the cheap and other items I've passed on because there simply wasn't enough information to feel comfortable in a purchase.

powerstrip

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:05 am

cool your jets recordboy!

I think he used the term "PRIMITIVE" in there somewhere.

I think it's a cool item, at a fair price, get over it, what do you care if the guy pays $100,000 for this thing?!

recordboy

Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:47 pm

Yes he worded the desciption well.
yet it does NOT belong in pro gear.
btw 261 Is a far cry from 100
it is cute & 100 would be fair if categorized correctly.

my qualm is:
Its like a landlord who owns a rent stable apt. yet tells some sap its five times that amount just to see if they fall for it. Before you know it the poor get pushed further under, as rents exponentially increase unwarranted other than greed through misrepresentation.

lets raise the price for a recordio to $7000 how's that? Lets turn this back to an elitist hobby only for the Rockefellers etc.

Lets make a block of cheese 1000$
Cause it PRO

Ain't got the $? starve.

Sound legit to me.

Sorry but this was.FRAUD & now "goodwill" jumped on it & put theirs in pro gear. These things have, for YEARS had their own category.
Cheers,
recordboy

recordboy

Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:16 pm

I take that back about goodwill, that is categorized correct.

Yet the one I am posting even states in its title "cutter".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
recordboy

powerstrip

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:13 pm

recordboy wrote:btw 261 Is a far cry from 100
Sound legit to me.

These things have, for YEARS had their own category.
Far cry from a fraud.

Looks like it cuts discs to me.

And what category is that? Dictation/Transcription machines?

It's a functional machine, new in box with blank discs. It is clearly a nice package for collector, or someone trying to record an experimental music project.

I have a few of those Red Edison discs about and always wondered what the machine looked like. I have a similar telefunken unit. This is something a secretary or exec might have mailed a voice memo with. and i'm sure they were professionals, so that makes it a PRO unit now right?? maybe used in education before tape?
recordboy wrote:...Ain't got the $? starve.
I think this is the type of thinking you need to stick to. What is this tirade concerning hipsters and slumlords? Why care about equipment you will never touch, passing through hands of people you will never meet? The bidder knows what they are bidding on. label it pro, amateur, or primitive. If you are going to be misled to the point that you bid on this dictation unit with the thought in mind that you are about to compete with RCA in the record production business, you deserve the soggy pillow treatment.

Disc recording is a very unique field. it's the antiques market mixed with music, engineering, and craftsmanship. It has its ups and downs. Anyone kicking and screaming about price just needs to keep it moving. A lot of people are asking 5k these days for a lathe with amp, head, heat, and vac. If you can't afford the unit, you can't afford the maintenance on it either. Just keep looking elsewhere until you find a unit like this, I suppose.

I remember, a couple of weeks after michael jackson's death, seeing a copy of thriller up for $100 at salvation army. Maybe it was sealed?? Nothing special about it really. there are over 25 million copies of this album. It's not hard to find.

Either way, maybe the same guy that bought this bought the $100 copy of thriller.

sameal

Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:58 pm

"One man's trash, another man's treasure"

recordboy

Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:25 am

Eh don't matter.
this is quit pointless I know.
Cheers,
recordboy