Steel-Stylus - noisy days

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Fatrecco

Steel-Stylus - noisy days

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:51 am

Hello Trolls,

in the last week I spend my time in grinding cutting stylus. (not for embossing)
I use 2mm HSS steel rods and after searching I found abrasive paper with a value of 7000. One of my self grinded stylus got a loud "hiss"noise, and the second one got a general loud noise. Too loud for listening music.

So I buyed two steel-stylus from ebay (you know from who). These stylus are, like throwing money out of the window. Badder than mine. You need to put too much weight on the head even you see a chip.

I will cut PC, but I also tested PVC and PET. I grinded from morning until the night, but nothing works. When I see a chip, the noise is raising.

Here are some pictures of the stylus (embossing,ebay,selfgrinded)

Embossing:
grinded_emboss.jpg
Ebay stylus:
buyed.jpg
Self-grinded:
grindred1.jpg

I read often that some of you trolls are using steel cutting stylus. Where you getting these one ?
What are you cutting with it ?
Whats the secret of the geometry?

Fat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rsimms3

Re: Steel-Stylus - noisy days

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:51 am

I don't know of anyone cutting with a steel stylus, only "embossing". There might be some folks that are cutting picnic plates with steel stylus, but most folks who are using steel needles are "embossing" poly using a backward lean on the head. Your personally ground steel blanks look great! That tip looks quite sharp, how fast does it dull cutting plastic?

markrob

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi,

Back when I was playing with this, I was only able to get the HSS to cut lacquers at low noise. I started with a 1200 grit diamond flat lap to form the basic facets and finished in several steps up to 100,000 grit diamond powder to attain a mirror finish on the surfaces. Your grinding looks great, but you'll need to use finer abrasives to get good edges.

There are several sources for finer lapping compounds. Here is one:

http://www.inlandcraft.com/singleproduct.asp?position=6&department_id=5&keyword=&category=Polishing&partnum=450616

Mark

Fatrecco

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks.

@rimms3: I only tried to cut one ore two grooves. I guess a HSS Stylus won't work longer than a half hour on PC.

@Markrob: I try to use finer abrasive. Its difficult to grind the front-facet. so it looks bad. Each abrasive particle cracks some material out of the HSS stylus so the surface will be irreegular. Try to smear the metal surface to a homogen area. I think thats what surface polishing will mean. In future I try a glas-plate, steel-plate, textile or paper, without abrasive grinding particle.

try and error

Fat

juba bc

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi Mark , I was watching an old aquarium pump, which has its axis in ceramic.Essa pump worked for years in salt water and sand, and has not wear the shaft. I think it would be a good material to manufacture needles for being light and very hard. You know if someone already tried to make pottery needles ?

Stevie342000

Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:37 am

I cam across this in my travels on the web: see attached file. It is meant for thorn replay needles but you could modify the project to cut steel styli for cutting or for those that wish to replay steel styli.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emidisc

Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:30 am

I still have a number of new (old stock) recordiopoint cutting needles by Wilcox Gay
Each card contains 2 x stylus and the price is £20(UK pounds)per card

Fatrecco

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:16 am

Does the wilcox stylus work with polycarbonate or vinyl? Works any non diamond/saphir stylus on PC ?
300$ for a cutting stylus is to much for experiments for me. I only have casual job, so the next month the money is reserved for spear-parts to repair car. How long will stand the apollo/tranco saphir-stylus in PC? 100-120$ seems not bad.

@Mark: in a document that I found in this forum, there is given the value of 0,05µm surface finish for a stylus.

Casanova

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:49 am

emidisc wrote:I still have a number of new (old stock) recordiopoint cutting needles by Wilcox Gay
Each card contains 2 x stylus and the price is £20(UK pounds)per card
Hi emidisc, are those stylus made for microgrooves? Do they have facettes? I could be interested in buying one card.

For everyone: I also bought this tool kit but I still have to build my lathe to test it out. One needle is 1mm while the other one is 1.2mm.
http://amzn.com/B000NDB972

Regards.
Andrea

Casanova

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:46 am

Here are some pictures of the "stylus" 45° cnc milling tools I bought.
This is the 1mm tool.
Casanova1.jpg
Casanova3.jpg
Casanova4.jpg
Casanova5.jpg

Fatrecco

Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:12 pm

...I grinded again and again... tested it in polycarbonate and was angry about the noise. Then I tested PET-G and the noise is going back for 5db :) if I read the statistic-analyse of cooledit96 right. I got my first real cutted record! With no vacuum, I got two hands full of an endless chip :) No tacking problems, loud amplitude, stereo!, quiet bass :? but good and clear highs. Backgroundnoise is still alive but the song is hearable. The things I miss, when I emboss.

@Andrea: In the pictures it seems, they are grinded like a drill. Only one edge will cut. They made for rotation, or I'm wrong?

Fat

markrob

Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi,

Have you tried to add heating to your cutting stylus. 4 or 5 turns of .005" nichrome wire close to the stylus tip driven by an adjustable AC or DC supply capable of 3-5 Volts at 1 amp should do the trick. See Todd's schematic for a simple to build setup. You would think that winding bare wire on a steel shank would result in a short. I found that it seems to work fine. I used Duco cement (a nitrocellulose based glue) to attach the wire to the shank. When you heat the wire, it smokes a bit and then turns black. I think that might provide some insulation from the shank.

Mark

Stevie342000

Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:34 pm

markrob wrote:Hi,

Have you tried to add heating to your cutting stylus. 4 or 5 turns of .005" nichrome wire close to the stylus tip driven by an adjustable AC or DC supply capable of 3-5 Volts at 1 amp should do the trick. See Todd's schematic for a simple to build setup. You would think that winding bare wire on a steel shank would result in a short. I found that it seems to work fine. I used Duco cement (a nitrocellulose based glue) to attach the wire to the shank. When you heat the wire, it smokes a bit and then turns black. I think that might provide some insulation from the shank.

Mark
ceramic glues like dental types are useful try eBay for those to give you a clue what to look for but that will definitely give you the insulation, put a blob on wind the heating coil and fix it with another blob use a matchstick or toothpick to apply.

Heating the stylus will cut down your noise as will groove disk/diameter compensation, noise increases as the diameter decreases so you aim to adjust the heating as the diameter decreases but not by much, there should be a sweet spot, not too much heat think warm knife cutting butter.

Fatrecco

Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:47 pm

I know about heating wire, but I think heat will decrease the lifetime of these "cheap ebay HSS", but I try it tomorrow. I've enough konstantan-wire here around. Heaten up the PET-G with a heatlamp ended in a warping plate. My grinding machine got 60U/min an so the hole process lasts more than one day, but I got a good feeling.

Casanova

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:08 pm

Fatrecco wrote: @Andrea: In the pictures it seems, they are grinded like a drill. Only one edge will cut. They made for rotation, or I'm wrong?

Fat
Yes, they are made to rotate, but I'm not sure if there is one edge sharper than the other one because of this, or if it's due to the manufacturing.
Anyway I'll give it a try. :wink:

Bahndahn

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Fatrecco wrote:I know about heating wire, but I think heat will decrease the lifetime of these "cheap ebay HSS", but I try it tomorrow. I've enough konstantan-wire here around. Heaten up the PET-G with a heatlamp ended in a warping plate. My grinding machine got 60U/min an so the hole process lasts more than one day, but I got a good feeling.
I don't think this will be a problem at the temperatures used when heating a stylus. HSS is specifically made to handle high heat, when it comes to steel. This is why it's called High Speed Steel– it is able to handle more heat, therefore cut faster [when used as a machinists cutting tool, particularly when cutting metal]. This was a very welcomed industrial development in its day, and now it's a standard.