Marguerite Sound Studio (MSS) Lathe- For Sale

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Soulbear

Marguerite Sound Studio (MSS) Lathe- For Sale

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:49 am

Hi Trolls,
Included here are some of the Photos of my very recently acquired MSS Recording Lathe
MSS Disc Lathe Photos2.pdf
This Lathe is a Perfect basis for a restoration project, which was my intention when buying it for around £800. It is however much too large for my very modest home and I must confess, I was totally fooled by Photographic Perspective when viewing and making my purchase of it from ebay. Old age and infirmity mean I cannot give this Lathe the attention it so thoroughly deserves, and to say I'm gutted about it, would be the understatement of the year :( :( . Its dimensions are 2Ft x 2Ft3in x 1Ft8in approx, and it weighs in around 400lbs+++ excluding the Platter which I additionally figure to be somewhere between 40-80lbs. MSS Lathes per se, have been eloquently described here on the forum by Troll Member Stevie342000 and there's nothing much more I can add, other than it is furnished with 2x Motors (Guessing for different speeds) and will come with 1X CutterHead fitted to the Cutterhead Frame + 2 Additional Cutterheads for spares, all are untried/un-tested. It is a superbly well engineered Lathe, and is regretably being offered for sale first here on the forum, I am not looking to make a profit, simply to recover my outlay. it's for sale by collection only, by any U.K. based Lathe Troll, BEFORE it goes onto the eBay. Just for information to Recordboy, the Platter when shown on the Bay, was photographed upside-down, the "dish" is actually where it locates onto the spindle "Hub"(Not unlike the wheel hub of a motor car) The last Photo above. shows the Platter installed propper way-up. Any interested party send me a P.M. :wink: Soulbear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stevie342000

Re: Marguerite Sound Studio (MSS) Lathe- For Sale

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:11 am

Soulbear wrote:Hi Trolls,
Included here are some of the Photos of my very recently acquired MSS Recording Lathe
MSS Disc Lathe Photos2.pdf
This Lathe is a Perfect basis for a restoration project, which was my intention when buying it for around £800. It is however much too large for my very modest home and I must confess, I was totally fooled by Photographic Perspective when viewing and making my purchase of it from ebay. Old age and infirmity mean I cannot give this Lathe the attention it so thoroughly deserves, and to say I'm gutted about it, would be the understatement of the year :( :( . Its dimensions are 2Ft x 2Ft3in x 1Ft8in approx, and it weighs in around 400lbs+++ excluding the Platter which I additionally figure to be somewhere between 40-80lbs. MSS Lathes per se, have been eloquently described here on the forum by Troll Member Stevie342000 and there's nothing much more I can add, other than it is furnished with 2x Motors (Guessing for different speeds) and will come with 1X CutterHead fitted to the Cutterhead Frame + 2 Additional Cutterheads for spares, all are untried/un-tested. It is a superbly well engineered Lathe, and is regretably being offered for sale first here on the forum, I am not looking to make a profit, simply to recover my outlay. it's for sale by collection only, by any U.K. based Lathe Troll, BEFORE it goes onto the eBay. Just for information to Recordboy, the Platter when shown on the Bay, was photographed upside-down, the "dish" is actually where it locates onto the spindle "Hub"(Not unlike the wheel hub of a motor car) The last Photo above. shows the Platter installed propper way-up. Any interested party send me a P.M. :wink: Soulbear
I would love this lathe but unfortunately funds do not allow it at the moment and not sure the lift here could cope with that weight and not lugging that up 10 flights of stairs either, not without a winch.

There are thoughts I have on the two motors, they may be for 33 1/3 and 78 rpm but I think it is direct drive through a gearbox like the Presto 8DG. The other motor I think is for scrolling to cut the lead in, lead out groove and track separation or for driving the lead screw.

This type of lathe is and will be rare the BBC would have lots of these but I would imagine that as it is old plant they disposed of them long ago and many I would imagine made it to land fill. :evil:

Soulbear

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:59 am

Hi Stevie,
Both motors look to be set to drive the Lathe Platter Rim, I figure speed selection is/was done via the first lever on the top-plate which selects drive from either the left-hand motor or the right-hand by a Huge (About 12in Diameter) cam arrangement under the Platter, which engages left or right hand drive, though the right hand idler wheel seems to be missing (I think it may have been at some time in the past, purposefully disabled, nothing of a job to restore if desired). The Overhead is driven by the belt attatched to the main spindle which then in turn drives a vertical shaft on the Side Frame, via a Universal/Constant Velocity type Joint, This vertical drive shaft frame c/w Drive Roller, rotates about its axis and the Roller is brought into contact with some friction material on the Largish disc at the end of the Feedscrew via the Auto/Hand Lever. Feed rate/speed is controlled by adjusting vertically via a small handwheel/ thumbwheel, where in relalation to the largish Discs diameter the roller make contact with the Friction Plate. It is truly a thing of great beauty, and a sophisticated yet simple design, and a joy to behold. If you're ever out and about South Yorkshire way over the next few days or weeks you'd be welcome to give it a looking over before it's (As it surely will be) sold :wink: Soulbear

Stevie342000

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:38 am

Soulbear wrote:Hi Stevie,
Both motors look to be set to drive the Lathe Platter Rim, I figure speed selection is/was done via the first lever on the top-plate which selects drive from either the left-hand motor or the right-hand by a Huge (About 12in Diameter) cam arrangement under the Platter, which engages left or right hand drive, though the right hand idler wheel seems to be missing (I think it may have been at some time in the past, purposefully disabled, nothing of a job to restore if desired). The Overhead is driven by the belt attatched to the main spindle which then in turn drives a vertical shaft on the Side Frame, via a Universal/Constant Velocity type Joint, This vertical drive shaft frame c/w Drive Roller, rotates about its axis and the Roller is brought into contact with some friction material on the Largish disc at the end of the Feedscrew via the Auto/Hand Lever. Feed rate/speed is controlled by adjusting vertically via a small handwheel/ thumbwheel, where in relalation to the largish Discs diameter the roller make contact with the Friction Plate. It is truly a thing of great beauty, and a sophisticated yet simple design, and a joy to behold. If you're ever out and about South Yorkshire way over the next few days or weeks you'd be welcome to give it a looking over before it's (As it surely will be) sold :wink: Soulbear
Would love to give it a look over but do not drive - Manchester area here so we are not so far apart. It appears that the carriage drive system is similar to the Sugden design but would need to see it in the flesh to be certain, will see what I can arrange but make no promises. Feel free to PM with details in regard to location if that is OK with you.

recordboy

Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi Soulbear

Thanx for that info & a I guess sad congratulations for the purchase.

I would LOVE to give this a new home yet OMG 400lbs?!?!? Wow...

I would think that Steve might be interested & will contact you :) yet don't know his situation. I just know he was as attracted to it just as you and I.

I'm wondering just how much it would be to freight it to where I am in the us? Maybe another 800$?!?!

Best wishes
Cheers,
recordboy

Boydie

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi Soulbear,

As you read on the other listing I'm having issues with one I bought, I don't know if I can go as high as £800 but certainly interested

Boydie

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi Soulbear,

As you read on the other listing I'm having issues with one I bought, I don't know if I can go as high as £800 but certainly interested

handcut

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Steve/Soulbear,

I'd like to have a look at and I also live in Manchester. I'd be more than happy to drive you over if all parties are happy with this. Always good to meet other trolls! Perhaps we can coordinate by PM?

Stevie342000

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:59 pm

handcut wrote:Steve/Soulbear,

I'd like to have a look at and I also live in Manchester. I'd be more than happy to drive you over if all parties are happy with this. Always good to meet other trolls! Perhaps we can coordinate by PM?
That sounds like a plan I can go any time except Friday and Monday, other commitments you can arrange it and I will confirm with you got a feeling we are both in Salford.