BODINE NYC-12 needed

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

EpicenterBryan

BODINE NYC-12 needed

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Anyone have a BODINE NYC-12 motor for sale?
They were commonly used in broadcast turntable including my Russco Que-Masters.
PM me.

Bryan

Soulbear

Re: BODINE NYC-12 needed

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Hi Bryan,
I hope you have better luck sourcing one of these than I did, a task made more difficult for me by virtue of me being the other side of the pond. I've got a terrific Russco Turntable too (a Sparta GT12) which I have thoughts of using as a Lathe drive, and have had the devils own job in trying to locate a 240Volt NYC-12 for a U.K. 50Hz supply. The Sparta's original U.S. Specification motor is burnt out so using a 240V-115V transformer is not an option. To use an automobile analogy, my Garrard 401 is like a refined Bentley, whilst the Sparta is more akin to the V8 muscle cars so beloved by our U.S. cousins. I managed to get a larger motor capstan for driving the rubber Idler wheel, to compensate for the 1800-to-1500RPM speed reduction caused by the supply frequency differences and tried substituting the NYC-12 for the Bodine NSY-13 of which over time I've purchased a total of 3, and which is the same frame size as the NYC-12. And although a synchronous motor, because the NSY-13 has a "magnetic reluctance" type rotor, it is not particularly well balanced, consequently it suffers from too much vibration when running, and so was unsuitable as a replacement on the Sparta GT12. You never mentioned the application for this motor, but if a little vibration is acceptable to you, then you might find the NSY-13 a suitable replacement. I sourced mine from Surplus Sales (Nebraska) if memory serves for around $25. Unlucky for me, I've had to suck it in and bite the bullet, and I'm awaiting delivery of this little made to order number to fit to the Sparta, the Top Flange hole centres precisely match the Bodines where it secures on the Sparta GT12 motor sub-frame, and it delivers a mighty 36Watts but at around 12x the cost of the NSY-13 it's been a painful exercise ouch!!! :-
Rotek KM65 Synchronous Motor.jpg
:wink: :P :D Soulbear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EpicenterBryan

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:11 pm

Soulbear wrote:You never mentioned the application for this motor...
It's for one of my recently purchased toys!
The mystery Box arrived from Colorado. What could be inside?
IMG_4373[1].JPG
A pair of Russco Que-Masters with Syntec S-220 tonearms!
IMG_4374[1].JPG
Old school disco party!
IMG_4412[1].JPG
Both pucks have flat spots from being left in gear for over 20 years. Both motors were stuck. I oiled them and they freed up. But the other night one froze solid. I discovered as I started to take the motor out that the bottom thrust bearing adjustment loosened itself and the shaft dropped down just a bit causing the capstan to jam on the upper bearing housing. A simple adjustment and all is fine with the world!

So, right now I don't need an extra motor after all. But the same guy has 2 others in his "bone yard" and we are going to work out a deal on them. No clue what they need. He says they are really beat up. I'm going to mess around with making an overhead and turning at least one into a cutter - the beat up ones that is.

Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prestofan

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:29 pm

I had a Russco that I added a 6N overhead to. The large motor made it a neat little cutter.

Alan

Prestofan

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:31 pm

P_S: You are going to need a larger warehouse.

Alan

Soulbear

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:55 am

Hi Bryan,
Yep, when my Sparta GT12 arrived from the U.S. it too had a Crappy Warp and Flatspot on the Idler Wheel, what's wrong with people parking them in neutral eh? After quite a few attempts over a couple of months I eventually managed to contact a Mr Skeeter Nash, who has acquired the Russco brand and offers replacement parts for all manner of Turntables from the Russco family. I'm expecting delivery any day now of the replacement Idler Wheel.
Prestofan wrote:I had a Russco that I added a 6N overhead to. The large motor made it a neat little cutter.

Alan
That is interesting, it's good to know that what I had sorta semi-planned, would in practice be workable, especially given that I'm increasing the Motor power input vis-a-vis the original Bodine. This is my Russco/Sparta, and I gotta say. I think they should make a great Lathe Drive unit, as they are mounted on a really substantial Chassis, hopefully wow/flutter/rumble is not too much of an issue.
Sparta GT12 Platter.JPG

Soulbear

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:32 am

Hey Bryan,
When you work out your deal with the "Bone Yard" guy, on the other Russco's could I prevail upon you to see if you could source for me an Auxililary Counterweight, the one that fits on Mini-stem just beyond the main Pivot, and that runs parallel with the main Tonearm Stem? Mine's also a Piezo PU 402 / Syntec S-220 Tonearm (Same Tonearm just depends where in the world they were marketed) and annoyingly was missing when it arrived here in the U.K. although the Vendor assures me that it was complete when shipped. If you could help out a Fellow Troll it would be appreciated, I could could cobble up an improvised Counterweight but if there is an original available that ain't gonna break the bank, well you see what I mean? This is the kiddy :-
Piezo PU 402 Syntec S-220 Tonearm.JPG
Looking on other forums dedicated to Turntables/Tonearms and the like, they do seem to be a quite highly regarded Tonearm if not quite in the same league as the SME3009/3012

EpicenterBryan

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Prestofan wrote:I had a Russco that I added a 6N overhead to. The large motor made it a neat little cutter.
Prestofan wrote:P_S: You are going to need a larger warehouse.Alan
Awesome to know it will work Alan!
Yes, I need more space back there. It's getting a bit silly. But the couch is going away this weekend so that will help.

EpicenterBryan

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:50 pm

Soulbear wrote:... if you could source for me an Auxililary Counterweight...
Wow, I seriously doubt it. He said he is the one who replaced the original tone arms (most likely MicroTrak) with the Syntec's. Man, those are S-220's are really nice! But he is looking around for the original tonearms. I would really like to get those too. He said he didn't remember if the bone yard ones have tone arms or not. But I'll let you know.

If not, you could probably have John make you a counter weight. I could certainly measure one of mine for that purpose.

Soulbear wrote:After quite a few attempts over a couple of months I eventually managed to contact a Mr Skeeter Nash, who has acquired the Russco brand...
I haven't received a return E-mail either. Guess I start trying to call...

Bryan