label printing

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

okpanda

label printing

Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:02 pm

hello! i'm a new lathe cutter, just getting started. wondering what most people around here do about label printing? i've been trying to create a template for printing labels in black and white with my printer at home, but i'm not a graphic designer and it's not going so well. very hard to keep everything lined up correctly etc. i want to keep costs low and turnaround times short so i don't want to send off anywhere for labels. i'd either like to do it myself or find someone local who can do it for me. any ideas or considerations? thanks!!!

Gridlock

Re: label printing

Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:43 pm

With lathe cuts you should use the old victrola size label because it sets your record apart as a unique item and you can fit more sound on. And it looks cool. But with auto returning TTs itll just send the needle away. And you can make more labels per sheet. I dunno. Forgot what i was gonna say originally
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

Soulbear

Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:46 am

Hi okpanda,
There are any number of blank label suppliers if you do a quick Googar search, whilst not exactly dirt cheap, they are not extortionately expensive either. Some here in the United Kingdom will make a set of peel-off Labels to your very own template, on A4 sized sheets, and also provide you with a down-loadable software update, to enable you to use your own printer to best effect. Something like this company's offering :- http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-%26-Software/Templates/Labels/Round-Labels/Round-Label-12-per-sheet-5294_Microsoft-Word.htm
I'm pretty sure you'd find something similar Stateside, using the correct search terms
Hope this helps
:wink: :P :D Soulbear

tragwag

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:21 pm

the only place i've found them reliably, and with a good template is Online Labels.
http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL991.htm

it's technically a "custom" order so the quantities might be a little more restrictive.
but it's definitely worth it to have their customer support, and I've done tons of labels on these with no issue.

there are 12" size as well
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

okpanda

Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:43 pm

that's perfect, thanks trag!!

Prestofan

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:52 pm

Here's another idea. I used my word program and drew circles, printed on stock paper, and tried again until I got the size I wanted. Saved the circle in the file, then would add in the word program any text I wanted and added any logo I wanted. Then I would print on stock sticky back paper you can buy from any office store. Then I cur out with scissors, and viola custom labels!. You can purchase full sheets 8 1/2 x 11 of pressure sensitive paper.

Alan