Opcode66 Presto 1C Rebuild

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

aaron

Opcode66 Presto 1C Rebuild

Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:24 am

I had Opcode66 rebuild my presto 1C with his new "Super8" coil winding (Todd, correct me if I'm wrong with what you're calling it), and I can't believe how awesome it sounds!! He's managed to increase the output of this thing way past where it was before. I haven't pushed it yet, but I can get to 0db easily with this (I could only get to about -3db before), without any distortion... and this is with worn out springs in my head (he's working on creating new Presto springs right now).

If you have a presto 1C or 1D, this is the way to go as far as getting it rebuilt. He'll even send you video and pictures of process.

Babooino

Re: Opcode66 Presto 1C Rebuild

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:29 pm

great to know! i have a 1d ready to go soon.

opcode66

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:11 pm

Aaron actually received a Super4 set of coils. I'll quickly explain what this means. I put more than the normal length of wire (i.e. more turns) into a bobbin that is the standard footprint (no change in size). Longer wire means a stronger EM field. The difference in resistance/impedance is negligible due to the gauge of wire used. I charge a little extra for this since I am doing an added step and these coils are trickier to roll and bake. However the added boost is noticeable.

A final note, since I got a proper AC/DC gaussmeter I was able to do some thorough re-magnetization studies. I now know the trick to re-magnetize these horseshoes from Presto optimally. Altogether with a proper wash of all the parts and a proper re-assembly and calibration, these heads are coming out very nicely.

This work has helped me in a number of ways. It also helps the community greatly. I'm glad to be doing this work.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Gridlock

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:16 pm

It almost seems like a big dummy like me could figure it out!! I dont think this is a 1 c or d yhough
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

opcode66

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:31 pm

That looks like a 5C sort of. Or, an old RCA. Either way, I can fix that.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

piaptk

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:46 am

That's a Presto branded Audax. I think Audax also made this same model for the cheaper RCA lathes.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com