EBay: EMI gravity powered disk cutter in Athens Greece.

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

sameal

Re: EBay: EMI gravity powered disk cutter in Athens Greece.

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:03 pm

I seen that!

Pretty cool, but holy shipping batman!

Stevie342000

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:32 pm

It is mentioned in the Book on Blumlein https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=B2z2ONO7nBQC&pg=PA112&lpg=PA112&dq=EMI+Blumlein+Disc+Cutting+Lathe&source=bl&ots=spJvnsrnlF&sig=RCqJFGZWrmMS_TYkaCKYxTp9_Ys&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwin9eevweLPAhUHB8AKHcIXCjEQ6AEILjAD#v=onepage&q=EMI%20Blumlein%20Disc%20Cutting%20Lathe&f=false

It is designed for cutting wax not lacquers, it looks like the book data is sourced from EMI archive and from IEE, plus Science Museum. Which additionally has the Decca cutter head/lathe from during WW2, it is in storage.

greybeard

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:42 pm

Hello,

in the link given by gus to another thread I have posted a description and a warning. The Blumlein cutterhead is not complete: the integrated input transformer coil and the core are missing. It does not work.
But it still has symbolic value.

Best, Greybeard

greybeard

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:05 pm

I have a further comment: the whole cutterhead is not mounted correctly. I have worked with the top view given by the seller (a very good image), and I have rotated the cutterhead assembly around the hinge that supports it. When the bridge carrying the assembly is parallel to the travel of the turntable (which is the correct working position), the cutting stylus still has an overhang of more than 10 mm (I have not measured it up properly). But it should have been on the line of travel in order to modulate perpendicularly to the groove.

Also, the bolt holding the turntable to its shaft is not original -- it was never a hex, at least not in the surviving lathes that I have inspected.

Well, minor matters to the right collector! It will be interesting to see how things develop. Thanks to Gridlock and Gus for bringing this up!

Best,

Greybeard