Ebay : World's First Stereo Record by Westrex

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

Ebay : World's First Stereo Record by Westrex

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:26 am

World first stereo record as demonstrated by Westrex to the Audio Engineering Society. Only US $20,000

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252582810843?_mwBanner=1

Stevie342000

Re: Ebay : World's First Stereo Record by Westrex

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:22 am

The co-operative society in the UK was set up in order that shoppers where not left with floor sweepings in their flour or their sugar, what guarantee is there that these are not just very expensive floor sweepings?

It also begs the question why does he think that that demonstration discs is worth his figure. I doubt it is worth 1/100th per share of what he is suggesting. The recorded material will determine the price on what this is worth and as floor sweepings the record has no value at all.

Aside from which if this record is of such historic value why does he have it? Where did he get it?

I thought the vandals were the ones that helped to bring down the Roman empire, grinding a so called historic record up speaks of vandalism, in my humble opinion.

Are they for real? Really!!! Aside from which it is not the first stereo recording, that would be Blumlein and Bell Labs in the 1930. Plus AR Sugden of Connoisseur demonstrated single groove stereo discs and recording the year before, by 1957 he has his discs ready for the market.

Please excuse me whilst I go off to change my underwear, these ones are wet through from excessive laughter, sorry!!!

Soulbear

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:55 am

Mmmm....... Tempting, now I'm in a quandry, for you see, I was going to market to sell this old "Quarrymen" record of mine :-
Quarrymen.jpg
Anyway, on the way to market, I got really lucky and met a man who took my silly old record, he swapped it with me, in exchange for some Magic Beans.
There really are some bargains to be had just now :roll: :roll: :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

donnyz29

Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:51 pm

Just wondering outloud, but wouldn't this have been cut into a laquer? If it were cut into a dub plate, it wouldn't have been cut straight to vinyl, it would have been acetate. Or am I wrong here?

Soulbear

Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi Donnyz29,
Possibly, however :-
Stevie342000 wrote: Aside from which it is not the first stereo recording, that would be Blumlein and Bell Labs in the 1930.
Stevie324000 "Nails It" It is not the first "Stereo" Recording by a long shot, being from around some 20 Years later than Blumlein made the first recordings. At $20K a Gram??? What is this? The Elixir of Life? It's Total Joke which some Gullible Sucker might just Buy Into. By the way, I have recently acquired a small number of Magic Beans. which I'm offering as a Lathe Trolls Exclusive, for One Time Only @ $2.000000. Thats right, for only 2 Million Dollars each. Email orders to Bear@CloudCuckooLand.

greybeard

Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Hello, I have been thinking about how to cut up the record so that every buyer gets some relevant audio. If the circle is just split into 100 equal areas, you would get most out of the pieces close to the label. However, every piece would only be a series of short snippets that you could listen to if it were let into a blank or rather a silent-grooved record (with correct groove pitch) at the right radius. But if the record were cut into concentric circles, then every buyer would just have to center the ring on a turntable and could play the few grooves in that "band" -- that would give [i]seconds[/i] of continuous original sound! It would also mean that the ultimate collector who after years and years had collected all the rings would be able to reassemble the snippets, at least electronically. And the beauty of it is that you would always know precisely which rings you are missing at any one instant. And, certainly a ring on the wall is much more beautiful than little 4-cornered piece of plastic.

Well, just thinkin',

Greybeard

Stevie342000

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:20 pm

donnyz29 wrote:Just wondering outloud, but wouldn't this have been cut into a laquer? If it were cut into a dub plate, it wouldn't have been cut straight to vinyl, it would have been acetate. Or am I wrong here?
Not very likely that the final or only disc would have been a lacquer, they do not tend to be played if at all. Certainly not for demonstration purposes when you are trying to sell/market an idea on fidelity. Lacquers that are played soon wear out.

Much more likely that they cut a lacquer having been mastered the disc was plated in the normal fashion and vinyl discs were pressed, not likely that there was only one either but who knows.

Dubplates as we know them now were not common back in 1957, usual process cut a master and process as normal.

It is likely in my opinion that upon selling the idea and getting global agreement on the format that copies were or could have been made for promotional and marketing purpose in stores, hence why I think it is likely that this not the only copy however the label on later editions would hold different artwork. Thus why I think it makes no sense that that is the only copy and why it was done solely on a lacquer disk.

Stevie342000

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:24 pm

greybeard wrote:Hello, I have been thinking about how to cut up the record so that every buyer gets some relevant audio. If the circle is just split into 100 equal areas, you would get most out of the pieces close to the label. However, every piece would only be a series of short snippets that you could listen to if it were let into a blank or rather a silent-grooved record (with correct groove pitch) at the right radius. But if the record were cut into concentric circles, then every buyer would just have to center the ring on a turntable and could play the few grooves in that "band" -- that would give seconds of continuous original sound! It would also mean that the ultimate collector who after years and years had collected all the rings would be able to reassemble the snippets, at least electronically. And the beauty of it is that you would always know precisely which rings you are missing at any one instant. And, certainly a ring on the wall is much more beautiful than little 4-cornered piece of plastic.

Well, just thinkin',

Greybeard
Just my thinkin' the ultimate collector would buy all the parts offered and request that the disc was not cut up, if it really is that collectable. After all if they had that much money to burn why wait to collect all the parts of the jigsaw?

fredbissnette

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:16 pm

im smellin something

but it aint gold
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

Radardoug

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:12 am

We should all report this idiot to Ebay, not that that is easy! I just did it, but dont know if Ebay will do anything.

sameal

Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:44 pm

I hear circus music.......