Vinyl Recorder stylus heating buzz noise

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

pellegrino707

Vinyl Recorder stylus heating buzz noise

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:53 pm

Hello Guys!

Unfortunately this time i have to ask something to other VR users...

Yesterday during a cut i saw that the speed of my external motor was not stable, having some "peaks" and could't get it working properly at 33 rpm turning the speed knob. It runs with the same PSU that drives the main unit.

After some tweaking i tried to cut again and a huge buzz / hum noise was in the signal path (pre and after cut), and i easily recognize it comes from the stylus heating, since if i turn it off i have no more noise, and if i increase it the noise increase.

So i did some tests and seems now is no more reaching the highest red int eh heating alert led.

I have unplugged and replugged everything, dividing the signal path from electricity path as much as i could, but still the noise is there.

Could be an issue of the power supply, then effecting the RIAA stage in the Main unit?
Actually when the noise is on, also the power supply makes the same noise.

Should i try to buy a new PSU?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Marco

tragwag

Re: Vinyl Recorder stylus heating buzz noise

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:49 pm

are you talking about the power supply for an external turntable motor?
does the issue happen if just the main unit is plugged in?

Maybe you should try a new power inverter (if you have the same as mine, it's a standard available product, 120V input from the wall, and car sized DC jack output)
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com