Rek-o-Kut Challenger main fuse

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Davevr

Rek-o-Kut Challenger main fuse

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:58 am

Hi all,

I'm new at this forum, as I just bought an old Rek-o-Kut Challenger through eBay. It came in last week and looks quite good and appears to be in original condition.

First issue was the main fuse which, along with the fuse cap, was missing. I ordered a vintage Littelfuse cap and installed a new fuse today (250V, 5amp fast blow). When I turned the machine on for the first time, it instantly started making a loud, low "bonking" noise through the speaker which was already connected. I rapidly turned the machine off. The fuse didn't blow, but smoke started coming up from the amplifier, together with a nasty smell.

What does this imply? I guess there must be some faulty caps or something making the transformer fry? Or has it got something to do with using the wrong fuse (I guess not?).

Any help would be appreciated in these first steps of making this unit work again.

Many thanks,

Dave

Soulbear

Re: Rek-o-Kut Challenger main fuse

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:03 am

Hi Davevr,
Where in the world are you located?? A Mains Supply Voltage Mis-Match may be the first thing to consider
Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear

Davevr

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:42 am

Soulbear wrote:Hi Davevr,
Where in the world are you located?? A Mains Supply Voltage Mis-Match may be the first thing to consider
Hey Soulbear,

I'm in The Netherlands. Our voltage here is 230V but I have a transformer installed which makes it 110v/100w. I know the machine runs on 60hz, but that would only cause the turntable to move slowly. Maybe the 100w is not right?

Thanks,

Dave

Davevr

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:29 am

The best way to go is taking the machine to a good tech, I guess.

If somebody has a manual and/or schematic for the Challenger (or any other Rek-o-Kut lathe which might be comparable), that would be much appreciated. This will make things a lot easier for the tech, as these machine don't turn up this much, especially in the Netherlands..

Gridlock

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:03 pm

Reminds me of when I blew the amp on my presto. Oh the smell of 70 year old dust fryin like bacon. Does the motor turn? Sometimes that will still work when the machine is off but plugged in? If that is the case you can start working on your new electronics chain to power the cutting head. Or restore it to factory condition. The road is yours to choose! All the best
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

Soulbear

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:25 pm

Hi Davevr,
A good Techie might be the way to go for you in light of the "Burning" Issues. Oftentimes it's a good idea when "Powering Up" Vintage Gear to insert a "Current Limiter" like here :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFRwOnLsZI This might be a case of "Closing the Stable Door after the Horse has Bolted" I know this is small comfort, but the Current Limiter could possibly have prevented a Catastrophic Failure caused by the Ingress of Moisture/Damp due to Poor Storage etc. Valve Heater Circuitry will similarly benefit from Current Limiting, by coming up to Temperature Gently over a Considerably Longer Time Frame. The Forum search function might be your friend Davevr, if you have good search around you may find some useful literature that could help. There are plenty of Lathe Trolls using similar Lathes, I'm sure they may be able to give you some great help/advice too. Another option if the Challenger Drive Motor is otherwise OK, might be to bypass the Challenger Amplifier altogether, and Power the Cutting Head from a different Signal/Amplifier Source.

Davevr

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:29 pm

Gridlock wrote:Reminds me of when I blew the amp on my presto. Oh the smell of 70 year old dust fryin like bacon. Does the motor turn? Sometimes that will still work when the machine is off but plugged in? If that is the case you can start working on your new electronics chain to power the cutting head. Or restore it to factory condition. The road is yours to choose! All the best
I don't know. I'm not going to plug it in anymore. I'll first have a tech to look inside the machine...

Davevr

Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:09 pm

Soulbear wrote:Hi Davevr,
A good Techie might be the way to go for you in light of the "Burning" Issues. Oftentimes it's a good idea when "Powering Up" Vintage Gear to insert a "Current Limiter" like here :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFRwOnLsZI This might be a case of "Closing the Stable Door after the Horse has Bolted" I know this is small comfort, but the Current Limiter could possibly have prevented a Catastrophic Failure caused by the Ingress of Moisture/Damp due to Poor Storage etc. Valve Heater Circuitry will similarly benefit from Current Limiting, by coming up to Temperature Gently over a Considerably Longer Time Frame. The Forum search function might be your friend Davevr, if you have good search around you may find some useful literature that could help. There are plenty of Lathe Trolls using similar Lathes, I'm sure they may be able to give you some great help/advice too. Another option if the Challenger Drive Motor is otherwise OK, might be to bypass the Challenger Amplifier altogether, and Power the Cutting Head from a different Signal/Amplifier Source.
Yes- first is to find out if the machine can still run as a whole unit. Second problem is of course the issue that it runs at 60hz. In Europe, we use 50hz, so the turntable will run too slow anyway... Tomorrow, a really good tech licks it up who has the knowledge and the equipment to
find out what the issues are.

Thanks and I'll keep posting the progress!