Electrical considerations for lathe and accessories

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

jlapointe

Electrical considerations for lathe and accessories

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:45 pm

I'm in the midst of building a new mastering room. Very shortly we'll be running the electrical, and though I have no current or future plans to install a lathe I've thought maybe I should run appropriate wiring just in case.

Can anyone advise on what's needed to run a lathe and accessories? Thanks for any help!
J. LaPointe
archivemastering.com

gold

Re: Electrical considerations for lathe and accessories

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:57 pm

A VMS70/SAL74 won't draw more than 750W during start up. Most of the time it draws about a 10th of that.

Neumann lathes came either 117VAC or 220VAC. The turntable motors were either 50Hz or 60Hz.

Other than that there isn't much else electrically.

dubcutter89

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:44 pm

in theory some lathe motors should run on 3 phase supply. today inverters can do that for single phase installation.
but would still recommend to use more than just one phase so you can seperate audio-system from lightning, motors, vacuum, crap....

Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

smithadamm

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:47 am

I just wired up a new room so this is fresh in my mind. I ran one circuit for all audio, one circuit for "lathe mechanical", so motor (my motor is 110 single phase), pitch computer, heater, and control relays and one dedicated circuit for the vacuum pump, then a circuit for lights, a circuit for the HVAC and a circuit for general use outlets. So, no special 220v or 3 phase connectors or anything like that, but I did jump through some hoops to make sure I had dedicated outlets for various parts of the system.

jlapointe

Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:50 pm

Great info, thanks all!
J. LaPointe
archivemastering.com