Play-Talk recorder discs needed or spray-on Ions???

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

MALOS

Play-Talk recorder discs needed or spray-on Ions???

Fri May 02, 2008 10:45 am

Hey Guys

Was talking about to Brian Ruryk last night about this, and he's relly encoureged me to continue this quest for dead media..

I have recently purchased an old General Electric Play-Talk record player here's the scoop;
“Playtalk” electronic toy for children uses a grooveless paper disk coated with “powdered” iron to record and reproduce magnetically music or voice. Records hold about two minutes of recording; can be “erased” and reused often

My question does anyone out there have more of these discs or is there anyway to find spray-on powderd Iron??? This way I can make my own discs and put out some killer jams on them....

please help email Crump at wintagerecords@gmail.com
WINTAGE RECORDS & TAPES
1530 QUEEN ST W C-3
TORONTO, ON.
M6R 1A6
CANADA

cuttercollector

Sat May 03, 2008 3:54 am

I do have a package of discs. I don't have a playtalk but do have a Brush mail-a-voice which works on the same principle and uses similar but not identical discs. The ones for the GE are paper and the one wrinkled one for the Brush I have is plastic not unlike a flexi but a bit larger.
What about those old huge floppy drive discs?
Not the 5" ones but the 8(?)". Could they be adapted?

Syl

Re: Play-Talk recorder discs needed or spray-on Ions???

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:33 am

MALOS wrote:Hey Guys

Was talking about to Brian Ruryk last night about this, and he's relly encoureged me to continue this quest for dead media..

I have recently purchased an old General Electric Play-Talk record player here's the scoop;
“Playtalk” electronic toy for children uses a grooveless paper disk coated with “powdered” iron to record and reproduce magnetically music or voice. Records hold about two minutes of recording; can be “erased” and reused often

My question does anyone out there have more of these discs or is there anyway to find spray-on powderd Iron??? This way I can make my own discs and put out some killer jams on them....

please help email Crump at wintagerecords@gmail.com
Good day,

I found this forum while searching for info (old ads, etc) on the GE Play-Talk. Seems information is scarce.

I just finished restoring a GE Play-Talk phono that was on the back burner for years as the groove disk was missing. I had to have the groove disk made by a friend on a lathe and used blank CDs. I also replace the original defective magnetic head with an old 8 track head and use 8" floppies as a recording medium. It works, for what it is though I will have to adjust the DC bias level for the substitute head to get the best out of it.

I suggest gluing the floppy disk to a harder medium to avoid wow/flutter. Other than that it works.

Syl

cementimental

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:46 pm

glue a load of audio tape (or maybe VHS tape would be good, wider!) on a piece of card?

motorino

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:57 pm

Marcos