Multiple T560 cutting at the same time?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, mossboss, tragwag, Aussie0zborn, Steve E., Simon

Multiple T560 cutting at the same time?

Unread postby Tremdall » Thu May 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Is there a possibility to have multiple T560 lathes cutting synchronized at the same time?
Can it be done through an added midi control together with a DAW? Or are there people who simply use a remote control connected to all lathes? Sorry if it has been asked before, could not find it in search.
Tremdall

Re: Multiple T560 cutting at the same time?

Unread postby MEGAMIKE » Fri May 19, 2017 5:53 am

hi
yes ...but one record has an extra line or two, the audio is from one source ..
one head goes down then the next head goes down(be carefull) then with 2 arms and hands do the lead ins.press play..when there is a space in between songs then again with both hands do your spaces..your records should have the same consistency and look etc..
...this is not true sync though ...
daw midi ?/ well you will have to build something to add to ur lathe??..

when i do have 2 lathes at the same time cutting its mostly 2 jobs(audio)..

megalove
MEGAMIKE

Unread postby TheCrates » Fri May 19, 2017 10:34 am

Yes it absolutly works. You can completly automate multiple t560 with midi of your daw, stepper motors and a teensy or arduino type boards.

This includes head down, lead in, cut, space between tracks, lead out, head up, move head back to start position.

A lot easier and less hardware needing solution instead doing it with relais, buttons and switches.

You find examples in lathetrolls and youtube.
TheCrates

Unread postby SueDenim » Fri May 19, 2017 11:03 am

I'd really like to see an example of head down/up automation.
Done quite a bit myself but never seen that!
SueDenim

Unread postby Sillitoe » Fri May 19, 2017 11:20 am

Snippets from a vid of my old setup with the Caruso cutting automated locked grooves. Down, up, brush. :lol:
Takes a little time to fine tune, there's also better automation mechanisms available to modify a t560 with than shown here (including a vacuum :lol: ).

https://instagram.com/p/BDi1FWdEH0G/

https://instagram.com/p/BDi0fDUkHyz/

Cheers
James
Sillitoe

Unread postby TheCrates » Fri May 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Hahah word James, you came in mind besides duophonic and vinylrec when i mention it. :D

My man Tim from Timitus Records has a servo based head up and down also variable suction distance controller. I seen some ole videos on facebook.
TheCrates

Unread postby SueDenim » Fri May 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks for the tips guys!
Just found this vid from Tim which seems to show the head lift automation mech: https://youtu.be/jddgylg-H2s

Would like to build something like that myself so will try to contact Tim for a chat...
SueDenim

Unread postby Tremdall » Fri May 19, 2017 2:52 pm

That is amazing and exciting news. It seems I have some study to do... Especially since this is the first time I heard about the word Arduino :D Great site Trolls!
Tremdall

Return to Secrets of the Lathe Trolls