TRANSCO/APOLLO Stopped producing DUB PLATES

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

KALIA

TRANSCO/APOLLO Stopped producing DUB PLATES

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:36 pm

havent seen any posts about the matter that transco doesent seem to return the two holed (cheaper) dubplate.

What do you think?
I think its a bit sad.

It led me to wonder, if there is anyone out there, that can produce a lacquer dubplate, thats good to cut, but nessaraily does not fit the galvanic standards...?

emorritt

Re: TRANSCO/APOLLO Stopped producing DUB PLATES

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Just put a lot of people in the community out of business. But, what would Apollo care?

jjgolden

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:54 pm

I don't know if the vinyl world senses the urgency,...but if Apollo is unable to make lacquers do to earthquake or other reason, all new record production for non-dmm facilities stops.
All the lacquer cutting studios, all pressing plants, all plating facilities, all the investments people have in setting up plants, restoring lathes & presses, record stores etc. are all going to get hit really hard.

http://scedc.caltech.edu/significant/banning.html
https://earthquaketrack.com/us-ca-banning/recent
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-earthquakesa-earthquake-35-quake-strikes-near-banning-calif-nhy9-story.html

Maybe Apollo would be able to set up a remote site in Nevada or other dry climate area… or maybe someone is willing to take on this task…. or maybe someone is working on it right now?
Would be nice to know.

Thoughts?

JJG

timinbovey

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:31 pm

I had no trouble ordering two boxes (total of 50) 10" dub plates last week from Apollo. HOWEVER they were NOT two hole discs, just a center hole. But they were dub plates at the reduced price.

I've decided to take it upon myself to add that second hole. I'm not using these for electroplating for masters. And all my machines that second hole has quite a bit of room for error. I think a simple jig and some careful handling and I can churn 'em out on my drill press, or heck, with a home made jig, right on my lap,
between my legs with ah hand drill, no sweat.

Tim in Bovey

prestok10

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:48 pm

I got lucky a few years ago and got a lot of NOS blanks from Ebay. Now they are nearly impossible to find, and eventually I'll want to get new dub plates. I wonder if Transco/Apollo were just selling off stock and really aren't making any new ones? I suppose I could ask them. Has anyone else already asked? Where is Jack White getting blanks for his Record-Your-Voice machine? Probably having them custom made.

rsimms3

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Third Man switched from acetate to polycarb for their record booths soon after the first one debuted. No clue who made the acetates for them or if they were NOS.

timinbovey

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:39 am

Yes, they're still making lacquer discs every day. They have never specifically produced "dub plates".

The dubs they sell are their regular master lacquers that did not pass quality inspection. They still have perfect recording area, but may have a cosmetic blemish or other defect (not in the recording area) that prevents them from selling them as masters, but are fine for people like us cutting one of's on our Prestos and Recordios, etc. The quality/perfection standard is higher if you're sending it out for plating.

This is why dub plates can at times be unavailable -- they haven't had enough master lacquers not pass inspection to keep the dub plate stock full. But the key is, they do not specifically produce "dub plates". They're a by-product of their regular master manufacturing.

Dub plates are not guaranteed, as the masters are. And they cost about half. Every disc they make it date coded. The ones I received a week or so ago were just made a few weeks ago. Dubs have a "no warranty" stamp over the pre printed warranty. They look absolutely perfect to my eye.

I also purchased one of their ruby cutting styli for my Presto. A beautiful thing indeed!

I will be ordering more soon just so I'm well stocked.

Tim in Bovey

prestok10

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Good to know, Tim! Thanks for the info. Kind of amusing that the quality is so good that so few don't pass inspection to become dub plates!

piaptk

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:40 am

I was at Apollo today.

They MOST DEFINITELY still sell dub plates when they have them, but as said above, these are simply factory seconds, so when people buy up all the factory seconds that are available, they are no longer available until more factory seconds are made as a by product of masters.

And let us not forget that 12" masters (which would beget 12" factory second "dubs") are not in nearly as high of demand as 10" and 14" from mastering engineers, and therefore there are fewer dubs available.

Also, they aren't currently selling two hole dubs because their two hole punch is broken and waiting for a replacement part from the machinist.

I walked out of there with a box of 10" dubs today no problem. I love Terry and Sam and they have ALWAYS gone way out of their way to help us out.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:47 am

Also, if you can't get a two hole dub, you can always get a 1/4" inner diameter rubber grommet from Ace Hardware to lock your disc down to the platter via the center pin. That is what I do on one hole dubs and plastic for my k11. And I've never need two holes on my 6ns and 8ns.

I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Angus McCarthy

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:37 am

Very glad to learn that they are still offering factory seconds as dubs. Finally getting some of my equipment back in working order (after 6 years!) and what few unused vintage lacquers I have are going to get burned through quickly doing test cuts. Apollo doesn't seem to list 10" dubs separately on their online quote form. Is it just a matter of calling/emailing them and seeing if they're available at the time?

timinbovey

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Yes. The 10" dubs are available on an "as available" basis. I had exchanged a few emails with them about products, prices, etc and they emailed me a
pdf price list.

Then I sent an email indicating what I could like to buy, asked for price and availability and a quote. She sent me a quote, I sent $$ via Paypal and a few days later
they arrived. I purchased a ruby cutting stylus as well at the same time, and if you buy a box of blanks (25 to a box) you get $20 off the stylus price.

Now just need to get my J-5 back together!

prestok10

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:20 pm

So what are they charging for dub plates these days? 10" or 7"

timinbovey

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Well...

On my shipment one month ago I paid $10.92 each for 10" dubs. Plus shipping.

Although I see 7" on their price list, it seems to me she had mentioned that they didn't have any 7" available. I don't recall if they weren't
available at all any more, or if they just didn't have any at the moment. However, the price list also lists the 7" at $10.92 each.

But I'm telling you, a box of fresh lacquers is a beautiful thing!

Tim in Bovey

Angus McCarthy

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Out of curiosity and for comparison, I looked up the price for Presto's upper-mid-quality orange label discs in the 1940 catalog. They went for 80 cents per 10-inch disc at the time, which adjusted for inflation is worth anywhere from $13-$14 in current cash. Interesting to see that Apollo's dubs still fall near that same price range.

jtransition

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Dub plates are no longer available in Europe.

timinbovey

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Perhaps you could convince some fella in the States to send 'em to you. the shipping might be killer however. I just figured it out.

A box of 25 10" dubs from Apollo weighs about 13 pounds ready to ship. At the current price a box is about $273 (plus the guy here would have to pay freight to get them to him). Shipping to, say, Germany from the USA (priority mail shipping required) would be about $76. So it would cost a bit over $349 US for a box of 25, or about $14 per disc, give or take. Plus whatever the guy would have to add for freight to get them in the first place. Apollo doesn't ship overseas? I see their Transco web site in the UK does list dubs, but perhaps their website is out of date?

Tim in Bovey