VR cutting problem!Help

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JHL

Re: VR cutting problem!Help

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:16 am

am i bought the wrong mineral oil?the one i bought is transparent but it seems everyone are yellow..
微信图片_20180116201306.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Shank

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:47 am

Where are you from?
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

Tremdall

Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:10 pm

JHL wrote:
Tremdall wrote:I suggest get a decent training first. You can't learn anything this way. The VR works great when all parameters are correct and even then it needs to be fine tuned. What you're doing makes no sense.
yes,i understand.but i am a second hand buyer so i guess i wouldnt have any help from Souri :(
i know it's hard to cut a decent record for newbie like me,but i am working on it ,try to learn and adjust everything from the youtube video and forum :(
It's your choice... In your position I would simply buy a new one from Souri and get the training.
Otherwise you may very well end up demotivated after a while because you can't get the results you want.
Even wíth the training it asks determination to get good results.
But of course feel free to do it your way.
Once the gargoyle had withdrawn and unlatched his suckers from the topside of Tremdall's agonizing torso, a profound slumber would overtake him, as though from the labor of many days.

Tremdall

Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:18 pm

JHL wrote:
but i am working on it ,try to learn and adjust everything from the youtube video and forum :(
Did you also learn to drive a car from youtube and forum?
Once the gargoyle had withdrawn and unlatched his suckers from the topside of Tremdall's agonizing torso, a profound slumber would overtake him, as though from the labor of many days.

JHL

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:38 pm

Tremdall wrote:
JHL wrote:
but i am working on it ,try to learn and adjust everything from the youtube video and forum :(
i hear you man,what you said make sense

Tremdall

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:49 am

JHL wrote:
Tremdall wrote:
JHL wrote:
i hear you man,what you said make sense
Didn't want to sound harsh. But I know from own experience that a good start is crucial. It saves you so much time.
Cutting isn't easy but it's also not impossible. You can be assured that even with a good training you run into problems.
But with your knowledge you can solve these. Wish you all the best though.
How muxh did you pay for your VR?

JHL

Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:58 am

Didn't want to sound harsh. But I know from own experience that a good start is crucial. It saves you so much time.
Cutting isn't easy but it's also not impossible. You can be assured that even with a good training you run into problems.
But with your knowledge you can solve these. Wish you all the best though.
How muxh did you pay for your VR?[/quote]

Try to find someone could be my trainer with reasonable price...i have invested over 6000usd

JHL

Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:09 am

update:change the mineral oil to the high viscosity one
微信图片_20180118180243.jpg
by the way,I am from China and original owner of this VR is from New Zealand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Shank

Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 am

Lathe disaster in 4…3…2…
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

JHL

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:56 am

The Shank wrote:Lathe disaster in 4…3…2…
:( is really that horrible?well..i will not try any cut until i get a decent training..thanks for everyone's advice..

Tremdall

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:10 pm

JHL wrote:Try to find someone could be my trainer with reasonable price...i have invested over 6000usd

Oh man. For that money you have a new VR and training from Souri and a flight to Germany plus a great vacation.

tragwag

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 am

kinda upset with the general response here? let's try to help the guy.
sure he's in a precarious situation, but being a second hand user this forum is one of the only supports.

JHL - now that you've filled the dashpot, you should recalibrate the brass counterweight (40 grams) and the head weight (15 grams for new stylus, 20 grams for used stylus)
that should get you in a better ballpark.

Also, your dashpot/spring seem to be pulling up far too much. when the head is up (resting), the spring should be even with the dashpot, and there should be no space between the metal parts and the plastic tube that holds the fluid. (sorry if that's a bad description! I'll send a photo)

From the microscope pictures the groove depth looks passable, so it seems there's something else going on.
In general I would try test cuts with a wider groove depth (a bigger number on the VR) to avoid accidental overcut, or groove ghosting.

best of luck!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

JHL

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:02 pm

tragwag wrote:kinda upset with the general response here? let's try to help the guy.
sure he's in a precarious situation, but being a second hand user this forum is one of the only supports.

JHL - now that you've filled the dashpot, you should recalibrate the brass counterweight (40 grams) and the head weight (15 grams for new stylus, 20 grams for used stylus)
that should get you in a better ballpark.

Also, your dashpot/spring seem to be pulling up far too much. when the head is up (resting), the spring should be even with the dashpot, and there should be no space between the metal parts and the plastic tube that holds the fluid. (sorry if that's a bad description! I'll send a photo)

From the microscope pictures the groove depth looks passable, so it seems there's something else going on.
In general I would try test cuts with a wider groove depth (a bigger number on the VR) to avoid accidental overcut, or groove ghosting.

best of luck!
Always Thanks for your help and understand!
about the dashpot,when i remove cutterhead from lathe, the metal parts and the plastic tube is no space,but when i install the cutterhead on lathe,the spring just pulling up too far just like the pictutre .i am not sure how to adjust the spring.. :?

SueDenim

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:43 am

tragwag wrote:kinda upset with the general response here? let's try to help the guy.
Couldn't agree more Tragwag ;) added a little advice earlier but have been mental busy since so sorry for not being able to write more until now...
JHL wrote:about the dashpot,when i remove cutterhead from lathe, the metal parts and the plastic tube is no space,but when i install the cutterhead on lathe,the spring just pulling up too far just like the pictutre .i am not sure how to adjust the spring..
So, just to confirm what Tragwag was saying, there should be no space between the top of the plastic oil tube when the head is installed and in the up position.
To make adjustments to the dashpot spring, loosen the upper silver metal wingnut and turn the black plastic nut counter-clockwise - this will lessen the tension of the dashpot spring.
I would recommended that you lessen the spring tension to a point whereby the black plastic nut is a few millimetres above the square metal block when the head is installed and in the up position.
When you then set the head down to make a cut, the black plastic nut will make contact with the square metal block which will add the correct amount of tension to the dashpot spring.

I hope this makes sense!
If not, let us know and I'll try to take a photo of my own set up to demonstrate. ;)

All the best...

Ben

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:36 am

Hey JHL,
I've had every freaking problem you can have with this machine. Even had one of the members of this forum came at my place to repair my VR. It was completely tear down and fixed... so I know the feeling.
I had the training with Souri but I really learned my craft here with the precious help of people.

What would be helpful is if you could film yourself doing your adjustment... to see your machine with different angle. On photo there's obvious things like your dashpot looks tights as sh*t. But if you do your adjustment while being filmed... some of us can help to show you how properly.

we could also scan the manual that came with it... just to make sure you're plugged the right way also... and that it's not an electrical problem. I would do it but I'm in Morocco far from my VR right now...maybe someone can give you that.
I'd love to see your stylus in the microscope as well.... maybe it's off ....who knows.

Don't despair :) it will work eventually !!
Ben

JHL

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:59 am

Hi SueDenim!thanks soooo much for your clear expain,i follow your word and adjust the spring tension :D
微信图片_20180120235053.jpg

JHL

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:15 am

Ben wrote:Hey JHL,
I've had every freaking problem you can have with this machine. Even had one of the members of this forum came at my place to repair my VR. It was completely tear down and fixed... so I know the feeling.
I had the training with Souri but I really learned my craft here with the precious help of people.

What would be helpful is if you could film yourself doing your adjustment... to see your machine with different angle. On photo there's obvious things like your dashpot looks tights as sh*t. But if you do your adjustment while being filmed... some of us can help to show you how properly.

we could also scan the manual that came with it... just to make sure you're plugged the right way also... and that it's not an electrical problem. I would do it but I'm in Morocco far from my VR right now...maybe someone can give you that.
I'd love to see your stylus in the microscope as well.... maybe it's off ....who knows.

Don't despair :) it will work eventually !!
Ben
Hey Ben!What you said mean a lot to me!Thanks so much for your encourage(almost cry)!!
I live in China , i may be the very first guy own a VR system here and that make things harder.learning cutting is lonely process and sometime feel hopeless :(
I do have a scan version manual and i think i do the right connection,but i will check again.after that i will make a film,thanks for your advice!
feeling surrounded by love now! 8)

JHL

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:35 am

微信图片_20180121003207.jpg
微信图片_20180121003213.jpg
stylus is pretty new

davorvenom

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:12 pm

I think this Might be a stylus problem. Maybe u need guidance step by step so u can pick up steps. If u want i can help

JHL

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:12 am

Thanks so much for davor!he help me a lot and we finally found the noise reason is may cause by the fracture stylus
微信图片_20180122203702.jpg
微信图片_20180122203656.jpg