calibrate /configure T560

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JP_

Re: calibrate /configure T560

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:01 am

tragwag wrote:generally, I've found the VR setup to start distorting on high frequency info anywhere near 0dB to+3dB on the LED meter during the cut, depending on the source material.
it's true it can cut higher than that, I just generally don't try to push it any further because I know it will distort.
This sounds like quite low levels to me. Im with you that too much levels results in distortion (mostly in mids first), but even +9dB on the meter should be possible with the VR. Save sweetspot is around 0-6dB in my experiences, +9dB doesnt work with all music/masters. But maybe this just depends on the revisions of the cutting head as well. The VR is around for many many years now and Im quite sure Souri had developed some great improvements over time.

I think one of the biggest problem for most users is just the quality of the masters that are used for cutting. Uneven and uncontrolles freq spikes or crazy freq responses is nothing any lathe will take without ugly sideeffects, be it a VR or a VMS. I often get stuff for cutting that is really not cutable or with big compromises, with those I normally do not go beyond +3 as well (but just out of safety reasons). The art of mastering for vinyl is just lost over time, even by some professionals. And the rise of digital brought us some musical styles that arent really capable for cutting as well.
Im still really happpy with my VR for what it is (a really robust, easy to use solution for cutting dubplates), if something has got wrong in the past it was my fault everytime (mostly due to an unprecise setup). If a cut doesnt sound good its simply not the fault of the VR or the delivered components, thats for sure.

David34

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 am

You simply cannot ever stop learning this machine. And it does take a few years to even start to think you know what you are doing..

Make improvements, do lots of testing, go through lots of blanks. .

I have found eq matching to be very beneficial (match the cut audio to the source audio with Ozone Eq Matching. . .)

Works a treat! My customers I sell vinyl to are saying really good things!

EposLab

Sun May 31, 2020 2:43 pm

sat159p1 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:01 am
I have also tried to bypass main riaa unit (feedung power am from D/A convrter only) but ended with no success. The cutterhead seems to be unusual design and the standard riaa curve does not work well.

If anyobdy wants to help with it it would be great.
I really wonder whats the real frequency response of the t560 cutterhead when you apply the riaa pre-emphassis eq vs the souri riaa eq...
Does anyone has any picture?
Epos Laboratory Phono Cartridge Retip & Lathe Cuts
http:\\www.eposlab.gr
info@eposlab.gr
IG EposLab (https://www.instagram.com/eposlab/?hl=en)

RedSpadeRobyn

Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:30 am

I also have to defend Souri here.
I've had setbacks and have had to lean on the incredible network of cutters of this community as well, shout out to MarkRob and SueDenim and Mikey D!
I've had my 560 for 2 years now and have never broken a stylus, I have always had responses from Souri. I think the 560 is incredible and I have put thousands of hours into cutting and learning BEFORE I tried to replace any gear in the chain. You need to practice with the setup that you have before you start substituting anything.
This isn't a fast track situation, it doesn't matter what your PRO audio background is, cutting is a fickle endeavour at best. I'm a super rookie, but I make pretty decent records. I learn something every day.
Patience is the best teacher in this situation, AND having someone IRL that will be able to trace your signal path with you and help to refine your system, but that takes their patience as well bc only Souri has all the answers about why he built it, and how.
I'm sorry you're not satisfied with your machine, but I don't think it's fair to drag him when you're trying to change his machine and he's being less forthcoming.

Discomo

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:30 am

RedSpadeRobyn wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:30 am
I also have to defend Souri here.
I've had setbacks and have had to lean on the incredible network of cutters of this community as well, shout out to MarkRob and SueDenim and Mikey D!
I've had my 560 for 2 years now and have never broken a stylus, I have always had responses from Souri. I think the 560 is incredible and I have put thousands of hours into cutting and learning BEFORE I tried to replace any gear in the chain. You need to practice with the setup that you have before you start substituting anything.
This isn't a fast track situation, it doesn't matter what your PRO audio background is, cutting is a fickle endeavour at best. I'm a super rookie, but I make pretty decent records. I learn something every day.
Patience is the best teacher in this situation, AND having someone IRL that will be able to trace your signal path with you and help to refine your system, but that takes their patience as well bc only Souri has all the answers about why he built it, and how.
I'm sorry you're not satisfied with your machine, but I don't think it's fair to drag him when you're trying to change his machine and he's being less forthcoming.
Fully agree with you.
The thread is 5 years old, but I believe this is a kind of response (of the ts) which you see more often, so it’s good to alter certain expectations of VR buyers / new cutters.

That said, I still see myself as a new cutter, having cut records on an almost daily basis since june 2017 and having cut an approx 5000 records.

My experience prior to the training was 30 years experience as musician with my own mastering studio. So I knew about mastering, nothing about cutting. Even now, my only experience with cutting is from the training and my xxxx hours of cutting experience.

Still I was able to cut good quality records after let say 100 blanks. And after another 100 I was able to cut down the amount of test-cuts considerably. Even to zero with music which is more or less comparable.

In my opinion making a good master is key for a good start. I always check masters, taking my time to remove excesive spikes in volume. I do this manually. I never use compressors or limiters which destroy the integrity of the music and are only made to make the life of an engineer easier. Everything a limiter or compressor does, you can do in the eq or by riding the volume.
Or, if the music needs to stay intact, I lower the overall stereo cutting volume.

In any case, making a long story short, Master your technique first, then master your music and then just start cutting. You only learn to drive a car by doing it. No new drivinglicense owner is sending sad messages to the driving instructor that his car is not working. Or that the engine is noisy. It’s more likely you can’t drive.

Discomo

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:29 am

I like to add one more thing.
I regularly read a lot of negative comments on Souri and his Vinyl Recorder.

Let's get a few things straight here.

Souri is the ONLY manufacturer of good quality cutters which are affordable for the bulk of us.

Criticism is given by people who are not able to make a good cutter themselves. If you have so much criticism, start yourself a company of cutters which meet the highest or close to the highest audio standards.

Till that moment, be a bit more respectful to the only company who makes cutting in reach for the most of us. (unless you like to spend xxx.xxx dollars)

Souri may be a person with a lot of character, but he's also loyal to his customers. I have never had any negative experiences with him, in contrary.

Besides that, Vinyl Recorder is a very small business operation. If I'm correct it's mainly he and his brother. Keep things a bit in perspective when you demand support for everything.

RedSpadeRobyn

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:24 pm

Thank you Discomo! Totally agree. I saw the age of the OP too late after typing. I felt like a jerk, but I still feel like Souri takes a lot of flack needlessly. We’re all blessed that he decided to make this crazy piece of machinery. I’ll never know all of its secrets, but I couldn’t be happier with the community and my work life. Best decision I ever made!
Blessings my friend!

Discomo

Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:41 am

RedSpadeRobyn wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:24 pm
Thank you Discomo! Totally agree. I saw the age of the OP too late after typing. I felt like a jerk, but I still feel like Souri takes a lot of flack needlessly. We’re all blessed that he decided to make this crazy piece of machinery. I’ll never know all of its secrets, but I couldn’t be happier with the community and my work life. Best decision I ever made!
Blessings my friend!
Oh no, not at all! :)
Great you revived this topic. And it's nice to see more people active here on this forum :)
Cheers