calibrate /configure T560

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

usert560

calibrate /configure T560

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:43 am

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. A few months ago I have the machine T560 and after doing the course with Souri was time to ride all here.

Well, here is setup as follows:

The record player is logic x, which in theory goes to a mixer but after thinking routing realized we could do without the mixer and thus eliminate unnecessary noise. Logic then sent it directly to the "IN" of the mainunit. From the mainunit goes to the amp, the amp to the cutter head. If I want to control the volume of recording what I can do from the mainunit.

Now, it's time to calibrate and here I doubt. To set to 0dB with Testrecord I need a vu meter and I thought connect the rca of the technics to a preamp and connect the vu meter to the output of the preamp.

I appreciate any feedback and help.

Thank You
D.

The Shank

Re: calibrate /configure T560

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:12 am

My question is this one :

Where is Souri?
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

usert560

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:02 pm

hahaha, I spent a few months exchanging mails with Souri and when I doubt I wont solve nothing. Souri has a configuration for your machine and I intend to make it a little different.

dimi751

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:35 pm

I think if you play around with original setup and hardware might damage something or sound bad I could be wrong though

sat159p1

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:47 pm

usert560 wrote: The record player is logic x, which in theory goes to a mixer but after thinking routing realized we could do without the mixer and thus eliminate unnecessary noise. Logic then sent it directly to the "IN" of the mainunit. From the mainunit goes to the amp, the amp to the cutter head. If I want to control the volume of recording what I can do from the mainunit.

Now, it's time to calibrate and here I doubt. To set to 0dB with Testrecord I need a vu meter and I thought connect the rca of the technics to a preamp and connect the vu meter to the output of the preamp.
Eveything you're saying is right, but:
1) After bypassing mixer, in that setup above, you will not measure the input signal (because no meter present) - you must then have a good meter as a plugin or do it by ear (just kidding) :)

2) Testrecord is done ad 0dB peaking, but not every cartridge/stylus/preamp - connecter to Souri's meter will give you reading of ZERO there, and that's why I found it strange to have the meters calibration screws glued...

usert560

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:40 am

What I did not like about the settings Souri is a mixer and their noises. The mixer that sells not see very professional and besides having its own riaa I hate having to use rca wires to a configuration so. Mainunit also has a riaa made by the same Souri.

Prefer to buy a particular output riaa for technics and convert the phono to line and from there make my measurements but I still think mixer spare.

The idea is to measure the input voltage on the cutterhead, the maximum value when calibrated to zero in a configuration with mixer, once it is measured could do without a mixer in the setup. Send a mail to Souri by asking the value of the voltage when there has calibrated to zero to do this and his response was: I have not ever measured.

Thanks for your answers and your time

JP_

Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:49 am

In my opinion when learning cutting the mixer that comes with the machine is your smallest problem. When cuts are noisy or bad sounding its for sure not the fault of the mixer. And you are able to do very good, clean cuts with the original configuration.
Why try to make it different when you dont understand the current configuration? Its a quite clever, very comfortable solution that Souri already delivers.
More cutting, less thinking.... :D

sat159p1

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:13 pm

JP, I'm cutting without the mixer. It's quite simple and less noosy. If you want that you should buy second meter. But you can live without it too. Why measure input voltage if you can just cut a sine wave on "mixer situation" and the remove it and cut sine wave again with different volumes and got to the point where they will have identical volumes. 10 minutes of work and you have the solution :idea:

usert560

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:55 am

thank you very much sat159p1 I thought I could do without mixer and you made my day

sat159p1

Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:01 am

I have also tried to bypass main riaa unit (feedung power am from D/A convrter only) but ended with no success. The cutterhead seems to be unusual design and the standard riaa curve does not work well.

If anyobdy wants to help with it it would be great.

usert560

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:26 am

The RIAA Souri is ok, iwith the addition of the RIAA eq also make you control the engine and groove distance, it is an essential instrument in the configuration of the T560. What I don`t like are the RCA connector, jacks balanced or cannon i think is more better. I decided to remove the mixer because with both RCA and spliter not see anything serious. Now I have a vu-meter RTW to try when I can.

David34

Mon May 04, 2015 3:52 am

Yes I agree,, I had some people come and look at the machine who were suppliers of audio components and they couldn't believe the mixer we were using and the fact that the gain was 100%..

If anyone has any ideas how to improve this setup and like stated remove the RCA altogether, that will be great. I agree RCA are DJ quality, not Pro audio quality.. Like we should have..

Very interested!

sat159p1

Mon May 04, 2015 3:58 am

I agree about the RCA being worse solution than balanced connections, but it will not improve sound of T560, because it is not a high end unit.

JP_

Mon May 04, 2015 6:13 am

in fact, unbalanced is the cleanest possible solution you can choose. less components needed either its 'hi-end' or not. Yes, XLR is mechanical superior to RCA, but are you at the road or on stage with your lathe?
In practise 'balanced' means a balancing stage in every in- and output of every single unit. Simply not necessary with short cabling. For longer runs you can use a simple opamp-based balancing unit or transformers. But nearly all studio gear available is unbalanced; its only the in/out that do the balancing.

usert560

Mon May 04, 2015 6:37 am

Not whether it is a high-end unit price but for me it is high enough to have RCA settings. There had been nothing to the main unit with balanced inputs and outputs, which will finish by myself.

From my point of view the machine Souri is 70% - 80% complete. Its course which leaves you in his studio two days with 4 basic notions of information and tells you to do non-stop cut cut cut is going to do their thing and the last 6 hours gives you all the information needed to conpletar "complete training ". I do not see anything professional. During the course we broke a needle without knowing why, when he came and saw not know why ... logical if you're not there to teach and is also logical for us to break a needle without knowing how to use well the machine.

I personally do not even so is the "heater" of the main unit. After going crazy for 8 months in my studio and have cut 15 disks for fear of not getting it has broken a needle here and now wants to charge Souri needle repair.

Sell ​​this machine to people that go on there without knowing perfectly control this machine knowing that something will break soon not have enough knowledge. I feel a bit cheated with everything and when I send mails asking him things his answers are always yes, no .... cut cut cut. Sorry but this is not professional.

Now all this time I try to improve the machine without fuking mixer and splitters. I don't like the settings and connections and Souri not know fully manage and control the machine, he just wants money and ignore all.

JP_

Mon May 04, 2015 7:15 am

You problem is your mind. You think to much and cut to less.
Cutting dubs is an art form which expects huge knowledge. Simple. Ever wonder why the laquer cutting studios in the past have all be named 'mastering studio'?
If you expecting to be good in something with only a few hours of teaching? Really? Dont blame Souri, blame yourself to buy a lathe without deeper knowledge. Souri delivers an incredible service and a huge passion in cutting. I hate to hear some youngsters that simply dont know what they are doing to blame him for that. To you know any other audio supplier that provides 'training' at no costs incl. hotel and food? In what world are you living in? Crazy...
I for myself have had 20 years of audio practise, I run several studios in that time including a mastering studio before I have decide to buy a lathe. And there where many grey hairs grown since I was able to do nice sounding, clean cuts.
Cutting is the highest art form in producing audio, but today everyone call themself a master. Cause you only need the right tools, they think... Not wondering why there are so many bad cuts and audio out there....

JP_

Mon May 04, 2015 7:21 am

usert560 wrote:After going crazy for 8 months in my studio and have cut 15 disks for fear of not getting it has broken a needle here and now wants to charge Souri needle repair.

Now all this time I try to improve the machine without fuking mixer and splitters. I don't like the settings and connections and Souri not know fully manage and control the machine, he just wants money and ignore all.
Really? 8months and only 15 records cutted? And now you are thinking you have any problems with 'unprofessional' RCAs and crappy DJ-Mixers...

sat159p1

Mon May 04, 2015 8:36 am

JP, usert560: Both of you are right at some points. Souri is a very nice guy, but don't deliver good customer service. Yes, he's bad at it. He lives in age of CD-Players (what?), he has no audio computer software probably. He can't help with most questions. And most questions remain unanswered.

JP, don't blame anyone who cut 15 discs saying he's a youngster or he has no knowledge. He should cut these 15 disks perfectly and know everything about the machine. Lack of knowledge and unanswered questions sent to Souri gives errors in cutting, bad sound, broken styluses etc. If someone worked with audio before he should have no problems getting 100% of the machine after some test cuts. Souri told me back then that I'll be good at it after 5-10 years. With correct replies and good contact it should sound "5 to 10 discs", not years.

This is ridiculous and contacting him is a real nightmare. T560 is good, but he delivers worst customer support ever.

usert560

Mon May 04, 2015 10:01 am

I'm not talking about my experience in the world of audio that are many years. I'm no young and I've thought a lot before deciding to buy the T560.

I think not cut many albums are you going to do well if you do not believe that the system is properly configured and understood.

The initial question was whether we could configure the machine without a mixer, splitters ... and thanks to sat159p1 saw that my thoughts were not so crazy. I think before you do anything in this life you have to think things through before doing anything, for that we have the head.

After much everyone mixing and mastering it was time to realize all these knowledge and translate it into vinyl. Here I am not talking about the subject of a good job for vinyl mastered, try to understand, and if possible, improve the machine as the mixer and splitters have never liked this system.

Now, 15 vinyl discs for testing told you an example so you can see I do not understand how you can so easily ruin a needle and especially to know why crashes and be careful next time. I do not think cutting discs without knowledge is the best way to learn, it may be the only but I think with good training we could start from our best study.

I do not intend to make some perfect cuts from the first day but I would have liked to leave the course knowing more about the management of your machine, limitations and all that surrounds the machine and not have to experience it myself and having to break needles for it or anything else. I have taken note of everything he said and looked Souri there whenever I have a question but there are more questions than notes;)

When I pose a question to Souri 4-5 lines are always answers yes yes yes, no no no, cut cut cut and thus not only solves the problem that frustrates me more.

The only place I have found where I can exhibit and learn more in this area is here in this forum that I find very important. No offense to anyone or disrespect but to learn learn and learn more.

Thank you very much

JP_

Mon May 04, 2015 10:36 am

sat159p1 wrote:JP, usert560: Both of you are right at some points. Souri is a very nice guy, but don't deliver good customer service. Yes, he's bad at it. He lives in age of CD-Players (what?), he has no audio computer software probably. He can't help with most questions. And most questions remain unanswered.
If I buy a new compressor or eq for my studio, can I blame the manufacturer for my missing knowledge for using it? Is this manufacturer providing any 'training' for their gear at all? The hell, no. Of course not. Who will to pay the extra costs? You?
So be happy you get those training day for free and make the best out of it. If its wasnt enough for you you will find people who will train you happily.
Imaging buying a Neumann VMS from somebody. Do you think you will get any deeper instructions for free...? Or even training...? Maybe ask f.e. Flo or opcode here what they will charge for an single hour of training. Or any professional cutter here what they have paid for some training after getting their lathe? And then think about twice what you have paid and what you get for it.
If you want real knowledge pay for it or work hard to train yourself (and expect a lot of unexpected setbacks). Like any professional out there...