Sat Oct 25: Cylinder Record Cutting, Edison, Menlo Park NJ

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sat Oct 25: Cylinder Record Cutting, Edison, Menlo Park NJ

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:46 pm

I wish I'd posted this earlier....This is TOMORROW. Jerry Fabris reported (a couple weeks ago):

Hi friends of audio-history,

I want to let you know about the upcoming Edison Menlo Park Tower Re-dedication on Saturday afternoon October 24 -- see web announcement & press release attached.

I haven't seen the final program schedule yet, but I know that it's shaping-up to be a fun event. David Giovannoni of First Sounds will be there from Maryland to make tinfoil phonograph recordings. Phonograph Super-Guru Peter Dilg will be there from Long Island to play antique recordings. Paul Israel, Edison biographer/historian from Rutgers University, is attending and giving a presentation. When it comes to the early history of recorded sound, these are some of the most knowledgeable people around, so there will definitely be interesting discussions in the air.

I [Jerry] will be there to make wax cylinder recordings. It would be fun to see you there too. It's a free event, open to the public.

Jerry Fabris, Museum Curator
Thomas Edison National Historical Park
211 Main Street, West Orange, New Jersey 07052

http://www.menloparkmuseum.org/we-are-relighting-the-edison-memorial-tower-saturday-october-24-2015/

We are relighting the Edison Memorial Tower Saturday, October 24, 2015, Noon– 7:00 PM

(Rain Date October 25)
Please join the Board of Trustees of the Thomas Edison Center at Menlo Park for the exciting events surrounding the relighting of the historic Edison Memorial Tower.

The 77-year old Tower is on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places, and commemorates the astounding accomplishments of Thomas Alva Edison.

The Tower is a beacon attracting thousands of visitors from around the world, who come to learn about the amazing achievements of the “Wizard of Menlo Park.”

October 24, 2015
Noon-7:00pm
37 Christie Street
Edison, NJ 08820

www.menloparkmuseum.org

Press Release:

Relighting of the Edison Memorial Tower Set for October 24

On Saturday, October 24th we invite everyone to participate in a day of celebration for the renovation of the famous Edison Memorial Tower, dedicated 77 years ago. Edison, for whom the township of Edison is named, perfected the incandescent lightbulb in 1879 on the spot where the Tower now stands. A day long celebration is planned in which families will be welcome to participate free of charge.
The festivities will commence at noon at the Thomas Edison Center at Menlo Park on Christie Street. Township and New Jersey State dignitaries will be onhand to welcome the crowd and thank the generous sponsors who have contributed to make the restoration a reality. There will be activities for children's enjoyment, tables sponsored by area businesses, and music provided by school bands and choirs. The museum will open for tourists, and an outdoor giftshop will be open for those wishing to purchase commemorative items. Refreshments will be available for purchase on site as well as a picnic grove for seating.
An impersonator of the famous inventor will be available for photo opportunities and will add a touch of the past to the day's events. Also, a park ranger from the Thomas Edison National Historical Park will be conducting two demonstrations on how recordings were done on wax cylinders, which were another of Edison's numerous inventions.
Parking will be available at the Menlo Park Elementary School, 155 Monroe Avenue, Edison (off Calvert Street-West). Bussing to the Thomas Edison Center will be provided from Menlo Park School.
The culmination of the exciting day will be the lighting of the Tower, which has been dark for years. When one talks to long time residents about the Edison Memorial Tower, they often refer to it as the true symbol of Edison Township and remark at having fond memories of the Tower from when they were youngsters. To see the Tower restored to its art deco glory will be an event that should not be missed.
The rededication day is also the kick-off for fundraising for an expansion to the Thomas Edison Center, plans include an educational center and community meeting place. The 36 acre Edison State Park offers a stunning nature trail. The Center has received over 18,000 guests from all over the world in this year alone.
Excitement is building as we near this momentous occasion. A raindate is set for Sunday, October 25th in case of inclement weather.

tragwag

Re: Sat Oct 25: Cylinder Record Cutting, Edison, Menlo Park

Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:55 am

ah I missed it! would have liked to go
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Sat Oct 25: Cylinder Record Cutting, Edison, Menlo Park

Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:00 pm

I got some good video of it!! Too much, even. I'll upload some stuff soon.