Vanrock e-101 weight spring

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Sam

Vanrock e-101 weight spring

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:54 am

Hi everybody.

I am new in the field and i have only a little bit knowledge ..
This is a great place and I am learning every day but I think today i'm stuck :-) .. So please, i need your help!

I have a Vanrock E-101 and it seems to me that there is a problem of weight adjustment.

The machine has already been dismantled in the past, there are marks on the screws and the knob selection (Stop, standing, recording ...) is used at the base, so it has already been removed I guess.
"
I have pictured the spring inside/under the wheel weight adjustment

The lever "lock / free" and the wheel weight adjustment are not working properly.

I would ask those who possess a VANROCK E-101, to help and tell me if my spring on the photo has a natural tension as it seems stretched down.

I want to buy a diamond stylus (Myshank) but before I want to be sure that the head is not too heavy or too light .. I'm afraid to break my diamond quickly .. 230$ lost in a bad move is really bad :-(

Thanks to everyone who take the time to answer!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sam

Re: Vanrock e-101 weight spring

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi.

Please, is anyone can post a picture of the weight adjustment spring of Vanrock E-101 or Atom-101???
I just need to compare my spring. Mine seems to be too tight.
Thank you very much!

discosdecorte

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi, fellow trolls! :D

The weight spring of my ATOM seems to do nothing. If I turn the weight control left or right, it doesn't matter: the total weight when I gently lean the needle on my digital scale is always the same (159 gr.)

Do you know how to reach the spring? Is it very difficult to change or fix (without ruin something else)?

Best regards,
Fer
🄳🄸🅂🄲🄾🅂 🄳🄴 🄲🄾🅁🅃🄴
www.instagram.com/decortediscos

12bitcuts

Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:03 pm

I have been having weight/spring issues, not able to get the weight below 20gr on my unit and I want to cut with diamond which calls for 14gr max.
Maybe these springs stretch over time causing poor weight adjustment results?

I dismantled the top housing of my Atom/Vanrock to expose the spring and other parts.
1st remove the fader cap then remove 9 screws that hold the top cover in place, carefully lift it up and you will have access to everything underneath.

I removed and re-attached the weight spring at a higher point so it is tighter then put it all back together.
After measuring with a spring scale it can now adjust down to 9gr!
(testing is under way to see if it holds up)

I also removed a copper strip that puts tension on the square at bottom of adjustment dial.
This appears to be there to hold your weight setting in place (i.e., during transport) but it seems to make thumb dialing more difficult.

It would be great to figure out a replacement for the existing weight / spring tension system, even if it was fixed at a low weight - getting rid of spring altogether so it is more consistent.
Even better if head was totally independent of the controls and controlled by a separate lever.

discosdecorte

Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:39 am

Hi!
Based on my experience, it is better to replace the old spring with a new one. I did mine from a .011 electric guitar string. Do it as large as you can, then trim bit by bit until you get the optimal size.

Best regards,
Fer
🄳🄸🅂🄲🄾🅂 🄳🄴 🄲🄾🅁🅃🄴
www.instagram.com/decortediscos

12bitcuts

Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:00 pm

Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind and give a try.
Do you get more consistent weight settings with the guitar string since it's not flexing like the spring?

At some point I would like to modify the whole assembly to get rid of the spring & possibly the mechanism it is attached to.
Some sort of metal rod with a weight (adjustment) on it to pull up on the little rod the spring attaches to or a different way to control the weight pulling up on the cutter head.
There is lots of room for improvement in these units.