Trying to make a stereo record cutting head. Need Some Help.

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

zastin17

Trying to make a stereo record cutting head. Need Some Help.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:30 pm

So for quite some time I have been wanting to figure out a way to create my own records. I did some research on google and found some pictures and a few threads. I have a 3D printer so the building process should be easier than other build. I am completely new to this type of science so I don't know very much. I have several questions about making a stereo cutting head.

1. Will thick paper work for the cones or no? I currently have them epoxied to the diaphragm of the speaker.
2. How do I make the audio correct for recording so that the RIAA Equalization works correctly on my turntable?
3. What is a good cheap record needle. Or how can I make my own?
4.Is there any other diy heads out there that have all the files already created for a 3D printer?

I will be a using a old 8track stereo fm/am turntable for the platter. This has allot of torque but its a record changer type turntable, So it has a long motor shaft. I will need to figure out how to remove it.
I also have a stepper motor, And a Arduino stepper controller.

The speakers I am currently using are 4ohm 5W speakers.

Eventually I am wanting to add some resistance wire to heat up the head so it cuts through the materiel better.

Would it be best to make a support post that will support the head, and press the recording needle onto the L and R speaker shaft so the vibrations go into the needle?

Before building the lathe itself I want to at least get some sound recorded so I know that the head works.

Any other input would be wonderful. And again I am a complete newbie so my terminology may be off.
And If I am doing something incorrect please tell me.

poormans_workshop

Re: Trying to make a stereo record cutting head. Need Some H

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:14 pm

hey, i built a very similar design to yours. my head is not 3D printed, (but i do have access to a 3D printer) it is made of steel sheet metal
as you can see, a also have paper cones epoxied to the speakers
my stylus is a ball head pin used for reupholstering
i have yet to get it to work yet

The_House_Records

Re: Trying to make a stereo record cutting head. Need Some H

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Check out what other people have been doing on the experiment's section.

humbertosadoval23

Re: Trying to make a stereo record cutting head. Need Some Help.

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:41 am

Hi, im trying to do the same.... did you succesfull with your project....?