Newbie with a Presto 8N Project

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

wightdemo

Newbie with a Presto 8N Project

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:43 am

Hi Guys,
I'm embarking on my first lathe experience and am hoping for a little patient advice and hand-holding.
If I ask stupid questions, please try not to roll your eyes! :D
I've acquired an ex-BBC set-up that I believe was last used in the early 70s. I have a the lathe, plenty of spares, a compressor & vacuum and a an amp / control board rack, pictured below.
So, my first two questions are - has anyone seen this control panel before or do you think it was it knocked up by the BBC techs? The rack is the front of a steel frame that allows the lathe to sit on top - but I'm still putting it together.
And can I replace or repair the rubber shocks on the Bodine motor? One has split and the other one isn't looking great. Is there a glue that will cope with it in anyone's experience?

Thanks for your time guys - I'm hoping to chart my progress on this thread over the coming months and all support will be very much appreciated!
IMG_3853.jpg
IMG_3852.jpg
IMG_3851.jpg
IMG_3849.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sameal

Re: Newbie with a Presto 8N Project

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi.

Im no expert so these are just guesses, but that panel looks home brew.

Also on my 8dg the rubber bushings were made by a company called "lord". They are in the mcmaster carr catalog. Might be a hint.

wightdemo

Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:48 am

Many thanks!

Aussie0zborn

Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Rubber doesn't last forever so best to replace all rubber parts and rollers.
Terry's Rubber Rollers, USA is the place to start.
Google him and go from there.

sameal

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:07 pm

I second terry from terry's rubber rollers. If what your looking for is in current production, he will likely know about it. And if it isn't he can refurb

wightdemo

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:49 am

many thanks guys - much appreciated (Y)

wightdemo

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:03 pm

IMG_9395.JPG
IMG_1759.JPG
A few months of blown capacitors, replacement bushings and a lot of head scratching has meant that we're actually making a few test cuts now with the old Presto 8N, with (I'd guess) typically noob mixed results. At best though, the cuts are sounding great - we just need to work how to replicate that success every time!

If you'd be kind enough to humour me while I ask some more basic questions - no eye rolling please :)

1. I have the original glass bell jar, along with nozzles and hoses, but need a new vacuum pump - that swarf is really an enemy of the groove, isn't it?! I've found an affordable that moves about 70 litres of air / minute - is that about the right suction?
IMG_7813.JPG
2. I have a BBC mono cutting head, but several attempts to convert modern stereo tracks to mono using Audacity have mostly produced lossy, gutless soundfiles and recordings - what should I do to turn a studio quality stereo WAV into a mono WAV with no loss of fidelity?

3. My test cuts have all been on a bunch of old acetates - I have some new vinyl blanks on order... am I likely to generate less surface noise with new vinyl blanks over old acetates?

Thanks guys - any thoughts or observations gratefully received.

Cheers - Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Soulbear

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi There,
wightdemo wrote: what should I do to turn a studio quality stereo WAV into a mono WAV with no loss of fidelity
You could try this "Passive Route" which might cost all of $1.50c to make, and might just be worth a shot eh??
Stereo To Mono Summing2.pdf
Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear

wightdemo

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:45 am

thanks Soulbear!

Xertz

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:00 pm

I know this is an old post, but for the vacuum you could try and find a dental vacuum pump on eBay (I've never tried it myself but I know some people use those for their Vinyl Recorder lathes)